Eric Wilson

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

The First Omen is not only the best horror of the year, but the best 2024 movie period so far

It’s very unapologetic about being a genre movie, nothing elevated about it, which will always makes hard for it to be taken seriously like an A24 movie and well it’s a prequel with a cringe ending scene connecting everything so … but yeah it’s a fucking banger God i love the movies!!

• Like 5

https://deadline.com/2024/07/box-office-despicable-me-4-1236001250/

FRIDAY PM: Despicable Me 4 is looking to post a Friday of $23.4M, on its way toward a $64.4M 3-day and 5-day of $112M at 4,428 sites, which is still north of tracking’s range of $110M to $120M. It skews younger than Inside Out 2, so don’t expect the late evening draws. Illumination continues to have bragging rights with the franchise with DM4 becoming the animation studio’s 12th title to open at No. 1. The series holds the most No. 1 debuts of any animated franchise, ahead of Shrek.

Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out 2 is seeing $10.8M in its fourth Friday (-36% from a week ago) for an estimated 3-day of $31.2M (-46%) at 3,760 theaters, and running total of $535M by EOD Sunday. That will be 6% ahead of Incredibles 2 at the 24 day point, that Pixar title finaling at $608.5M.

Paramount’s A Quiet Place Day One is shaping up to be a $7.2M Friday, 3-day of $22.2M, -57%, with a 10-day total of $95.5M.

A24’s MaXXXine is fourth with $3.9M today including Wednesday previews for a $9.7M opening at 2,450 theaters, a record start for the Ti West-Mia Goth horror trilogy.

Sony’s Bad Boys: Ride or Die at 2,644 is looking at $2.2M today, $6.6M, -36%, for a running total of $177.3M by Sunday.

Angels Studios’ Sound of Hope: The Story of Possum Trot at 2,200 is eyeing $1M today, $3.1M for the weekend and $6.6M over four days.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

But it’s been a very good year for movies, the first one that feels normal since 2019. 

Many amazing movies that i watched this year: The Eight Mountains, Afire, Fallen Leaves, About Dry Grasses, Monster, The Boy and The Heron, Dune 2, The First Omen, Evil Does Not Exist, La Chimera, Furiosa… 

I know many of them are 2023 releases but it’s only available here this year so it counts for me. And it’s what makes me so sad about how nearly everything has been so depressing when it comes to commercial success, because there’s definitely a lot of high quality movies out there, it’s just that nearly nobody is seeing them which is devastating.

I'm sorry, but if MaXXXine hits $10M this weekend (Deadline better be lowballing) and Longlegs does the same next weekend (pre-sales are amazing in my area), that would be such a great redemption for the horror genre this year. 

I still believe that horror just hasn't had the right movies so far this year, but A Quiet Place: Day One, MaXXXine, and Longlegs definitely feel like the right and buzzy types of horror movies that would do well as supposed to something like Night Swim or Imaginary.

• Like 1

Interestingly despite Maxxxine having more press and advertising than X and Pearl, it’s in 500 fewer cinemas than them. Summer for ya.

I really enjoyed Maxxxine. X is still my favourite of the three, but what a fine trilogy. Chefs kiss.

Also, would this be the first time in box office history where a threequel has out-opened the first two films combined

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

The First Omen is not only the best horror of the year, but the best 2024 movie period so far

It’s very unapologetic about being a genre movie, nothing elevated about it, which will always makes hard for it to be taken seriously like an A24 movie and well it’s a prequel with a cringe ending scene connecting everything so … but yeah it’s a fucking banger God i love the movies!!

I'm not sure about best movie of the year but I'm right there with you on vest horror. The First Omen is a great movie and deserved a far better fate. Like you said in your next post, there have been some very good movies this year that people just aren't going out to see.

• Thanks 1

I'd like to see a better hold for A Quiet Place, but otherwise I'd be pretty happy with those Deadline projections. Especially MaXXXine - a near-$10 million weekend would be solid for a sequel whose appeal is so niche.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Also, would this be the first time in box office history where a threequel has out-opened the first two films combined

John Wick 3 comes to mind, plus decade-later threequels like Terminator 3 and Toy Story 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As movies this year go I can't recommend The Beast enough, a great time-hopping mix of romance, dystopian sci-fi and disqueting Lynchian vibes. Watched it in theaters twice within three days back in April and can't wait to see it again.

• Like 3

Hmm even with the direct competition would hope IO2 pushes up a bit to at least stay in line with Barbie 4th weekend, but Saturday increase should be muted.

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

As movies this year go I can't recommend The Beast enough, a great time-hopping mix of romance, dystopian sci-fi and disqueting Lynchian vibes. Watched it in theaters twice within three days back in April and can't wait to see it again.

Very excited to watch it, the concept itself reminded me of the Wachowskis, seems awesome 

Sadly i don’t think there’s official distribution here. Since the pandemic i feel that not only many types of movies are being less made, but the few that still exists are dealing with way worse distribution. 

Someone said during the OW for inside out and i kinda agreed: is very hard to be super positive about the success of a few movies knowing how awful it has been for everything else, there’s still a crisis ongoing and the huge hit of a few movies won’t solve it.

• Like 2

I don't think it really has been that awful on an individual movie basis. Small movies aren't gonna do big box office, that's just the reality now. They find most of their audience on streaming but at least there is still a certain repertory audience for them. Everything has been performing more or less to expectations save for maybe the Furiosa disappointment. The lack of volume has been what the big problem is this year.

I do admit the next couple weeks look like they're gonna be another down period for theaters unless moon and Twisters are like humongous breakouts, but after Deadpool the rest of the year looks quite healthy, especially now that we've got some awards bait setting fall dates.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m not a big horror guy especially anything that deals with the supernatural or the devil.  But it’s very well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1