AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

I would say the quality of the films matters as much to Apple as anything. The ratio of good to great shows/films available on Apple TV is the strongest out of all the streamers - and there’s no better way to get word out on a film than it being in cinemas - even if it doesn’t make its money back from theatrical.

Perception that these are worthy films starts with them being theatrical. Plus they don’t make many of them. They’ll have a huge hit sooner or later - and no doubt some of the big money they’re putting down will tie talent to contracts/options on other projects they have in development.  

I also like that their theatrical films distributed by partnerships are put out on other services to buy/rent as well.  Nothing worse as a film collector than having great movies tied to a streaming service that you can’t add to your library. 

Maybe if their stock didn't just soar to an all-time high I might agree. But tbh I do think Apple is in this for the art to the extent that it doesn't hurt their overall business. It's sort of related to how Laika has been surviving despite losing money on every movie they produce, because Travis Knight still has money flowing in from his daddy's shoe business.

• Like 3

I saw Fly Me to the Moon yesterday. Nothing revolutionary, but ScarJo and Channing's natural likeability carries it and it both looks/feels like a legitimate motion picture instead of something that was designed to be watched in the background on a streaming service.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Maybe if their stock didn't just soar to an all-time high I might agree. But tbh I do think Apple is in this for the art to the extent that it doesn't hurt their overall business. It's sort of related to how Laika has been surviving despite losing money on every movie they produce, because Travis Knight still has money flowing in from his daddy's shoe business.

Their films will have their own division though within the company. A division can still flop and lose money and need closed down or re-structuring. It’s failing. 

• Like 1

Again if their market cap just hit an all-time high then nothing is "failing". I don't think Apple Films is in any danger of being shut down as long as the company is still printing money. They probably do spend less on future projects, but that kind of net worth is what allows for a "flop" akin to dropping a penny down the sofa.

Loss leaders are a thing don’t forget. They bring people in to subscribe to other stuff. Whatever it takes to have people in the Apple ecosystem. If they’ve data that suggests people are onboard because of wanting to see some of the films they produce then it might be enough for them to justify some of the money they’ve lost on theatrical. 

I mean how much money did Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F generate for Netflix on their investment? Nothing.  They’ve got to make shows and films to retain subs and Apple is no different.  If they believe their films are doing well for having been out in theaters initially then they might well be fine with how they’re doing so far. Could be better sure, but sooner or later they’ll have a box office hit.  I don’t doubt it. 

They’ll also be generating goodwill which could lead to them making a purchase/partnership somewhere down the line. 

Let’s hope Fly Me to the Moon has legs. Looking forward to seeing it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Their films will have their own division though within the company. A division can still flop and lose money and need closed down or re-structuring. It’s failing. 

yeah I don't know why anyone would assume this is going to last forever.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AniNate said:

But tbh I do think Apple is in this for the art to the extent that it doesn't hurt their overall business.

Kind of like how Bob Iger isn't in it for the money either, huh? :ph34r:

• Like 1

The corollary of course is even if an Apple Film is a big hit, it doesn't mean a whole for the business as a whole. They do still need the flashy tech to make money to be inclined to keep investing in movies as a side hustle.

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Again if their market cap just hit an all-time high then nothing is "failing". I don't think Apple Films is in any danger of being shut down as long as the company is still printing money. They probably do spend less on future projects, but that kind of net worth is what allows for a "flop" akin to dropping a penny down the sofa.

We don’t look at the parent companies, though, otherwise we’d be talking about Comcast instead of Universal etc.  

Apple can afford mega flop after mega flop, but why would they want to purposefully keep losing money and damage the brand? Apple TV doesn’t do well as it is, isn’t it one of the least watched streamers? 

I know Ted Lasso was a hit (by their standards), but I think the only show I’ve ever heard mentioned from there in real life was Morning Show. Season 1. 

• Like 1

Maybe we should start looking at parent companies? Just so everyone is less dramatic and more informed on this forum in general. 

For All Mankind is another really good one on Apple TV though. Frankly I do wonder why Apple bothered with this movie when they already have much better and less provocative space race spec fic right there.

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Maybe we should start looking at parent companies? Just so everyone is less dramatic and more informed on this forum in general. 

For All Mankind is another really good one on Apple TV though. Frankly I do wonder why Apple bothered with this movie when they already have much better and less provocative space race spec fic right there.

No. The parent companies aren’t involved, the film divisions are. 

Anyway, the logic of “the company can afford it” doesn’t stand and never will.

It’s like saying “Madame Web was actually a hit because Sony sold 25 million PS5’s in the same month”. 

• Like 2

I mean I remember Amazon Studios went through some restructuring after a few flops IIRC. Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine some changes will happen in Apple’s movie/streaming division if things keep going poorly.

Posted (edited)

I didn't say Moon was a hit, just that it's gonna have minimal impact on Apple's business. And I would imagine the same does hold true for Madame Web re Sony given they have a lot more reliable fish they can fry even in their film division. It did suck for theaters though that a would-be tentpole bombed in an already depleted frame.

The reason I brought this up was someone insisted before Moon came out that shareholders would still care if it flopped even if Apple can afford it, and clearly that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Eric Onion said:

I mean I remember Amazon Studios went through some restructuring after a few flops IIRC. Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine some changes will happen in Apple’s movie/streaming division if things keep going poorly.

Mostly had to do with general international territory investment judging from quick Google search, not something that I think can be directly attributed to overspending on specific films. Probably a lot of political/regulatory issues at play in that case.  

Edited by AniNate

21 hours ago, DAJK said:

If theater owners are smart, they will schedule Twisters as the “spillover movie”. I did it all the time when I worked there. You have No Way Home at 6:00 and 7:00? Schedule something similar at 6:15 and 7:15 for when NWH sells out. Basically, they should schedule their Twisters shows 15 minutes after each Deadpool show. 

This would be a great strategy in 20-30 years ago, when most of the tickets were purchased over the counter. Imagine if you arrived at the theater just to find out the movie you want to watch is selling out, but let's say you don't want to waste your trip, more often than not you will just end up watching whatever the movie that is available there and then.

This used to be the approach how smaller movie counterprogram big giant blockbuster through spillover effect but this is no longer the case since people can easily get movie ticket online, aiming for exact movie they want, leaving the chance to discover something they would otherwise not watching to almost zero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Onion said:

Amazon have got a lot more reasonable as of late, which is why they've only spent $300mil on their The Rock saves Santa movie.

• Haha 1