kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

2 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

In hindsight switching this and the Fall Guy might have been the move, that was gonna flop anyways

Still so disappointing the performance of that movie. It had great legs which meant that WOM was good for people that saw it. Getting people to see it in the first place was the struggle.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, John Marston said:

its really ridiculous that Furiosa was the big Memorial Day weekend release this year and had two weeks of free reign 

Yeah Twisters should have came out then

It's also been a comeback year of sorts for "come for the flashy spectacle, put up with the expository humans in between set pieces" cinema between Godzilla x Kong and now this doing huge bucks.

Edited by filmlover

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

yeah this might be the biggest domestic/international split in a while. Wonder if international trailers focused too much on the “country” aspect and not the disaster element 

An interesting question, since I think there have been a number of examples in the past of disaster films (The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, etc.) actually having a high international ratio (wanting to see big-budget destruction is a universal language). Those films actually depicted international situations across different countries, though, and the original Twister had an even DOM/INT ratio.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's funny that everyone last year was saying this was a new dawn of cinema, but turns out, it was just a weird year.

We're back to sequel and superhero domination, bay-bee!

To be fair Barbie and Mario are ridiculously big IPs. And, Oppenheimer is Nolan. I think a lot of people never really bought into it being a big change because of that.

Also to be fair, IO2 and Twisters and Apes and Bad Boys were all well received or very well received by critics and audiences. At least they're good.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Are red states and rural areas harder to track for any reason?

How are walk ups usually in these places?

I think the major factor is rural areas and modest cities tend to have a bigger theater capacity : regional population ratio, so most of the audience doesn't regularly feel the need to buy tickets far in advance. Even for the biggest tentpoles you usually won't have a huge problem booking a decent seat close to the showtime you want. So presales for everything tend to be lower compared to large coastal cities. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Thanks 1

I mean even if it was ready for Memorial Day, which I doubt it was, there would still be a conflict of interest because Twisters and Furiosa are both WB movies overseas. And while I know Furiosa didn't do anything, I'm sure Warner had higher expectations, and it's not like these studios have an obvious crystal ball that can predict everything that will happen. In the end, while we're probably not gonna get a sequel, Twisters is likely going to be a strong performer domestically to make up for OS shortcomings, locked to be in the top 10 for the summer, will probably be a big hit on PVOD in a month. I don't think Uni/Warner's kicking themselves because they didn't have it open on a holiday...well, okay Uni's not kicking themselves, but the Zas sucks, so that's an even nicer win lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

To be fair Barbie and Mario are ridiculously big IPs. And, Oppenheimer is Nolan. I think a lot of people never really bought into it being a big change because of that.

Oh, I remember there was a lot of people saying stuff like this a year ago. Like somehow because Barbie and Mario were popular and stuff like Little Mermaid or Guardians of the Galaxy underperformed (though still made more money than most movies would ever dream of), that people were sick of these sequels and nostalgic toy commercials and wanted something fresh and new...and somehow these nostalgic toy commercials that only made their money because they are nostalgic toy commercials were proof of that? I even got pushback from people when I said the Barbie movie was a toy commercial. Which like...huh????????

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Oh, I remember there was a lot of people saying stuff like this a year ago. Like somehow because Barbie and Mario were popular and stuff like Little Mermaid or Guardians of the Galaxy underperformed (though still made more money than most movies would ever dream of), that people were sick of these sequels and nostalgic toy commercials and wanted something fresh and new...and somehow these nostalgic toy commercials that only made their money because they are nostalgic toy commercials were proof of that? I even got pushback from people when I said the Barbie movie was a toy commercial. Which like...huh????????

And now,  9 of the top 10 films in the worldwide box office are a sequel/prequel. The tenth film is Garfield.

11 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

2023 is so bizarre in hindsight. Other than Barbenheimer and a few others (Mario, Spider-verse, Wonka, Guardians 3) 2023 was kind of disappointing. If not for Ant-Man and the continued performance of Avatar: The Way of Water and the breakout performance of M3GAN, early 2023 would have been nearly as bad as early 2024. If not worse. And May was dominated by Disney. Little Mermaid and Guardians despite their high budgets still made over 300m domestic (Little Mermaid barely lost out) It’s also very weird how 2024 will be Disney’s best year since 2019 when 2023 was actually their 100th anniversary. They have like 4 potential 1 billion dollar films (Inside Out 2, Deadpool and Wolverine, Moana 2, and Mufasa: The Lion King). What a turn around for the studio. 2025 will probably be more like 2023 for them but still. 

• Like 1

2023 had a lot of the top heavy issues 2024 has had, it's just at the time the box office could still be rationalized as in "recovery mode". Now that 2024 has regressed can't really take refuge in that anymore, but at least starting in September it does look more balanced again, and presumably will have more niche options after the festival circuit works itself out.

38 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And now,  9 of the top 10 films in the worldwide box office are a sequel/prequel. The tenth film is Garfield.

Lotta people were saying only video game animated movies and Minions movies could do huge business for animated too.

People wisely barked back mentioning sequels like Inside Out and Moana could be big or even huge.

For the moment at least, group two was right. We'll have to see with Moana.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Lotta people were saying only video game animated movies and Minions movies could do huge business for animated too.

People wisely barked back mentioning sequels like Inside Out and Moana could be big or even huge.

For the moment at least, group two was right. We'll have to see with Moana.

A certain person also was saying not too long ago that no one wanted to see a movie about tornadoes anymore because they're too traumatizing

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Maggie said:

wow incredible start for Twisters. Glen Powell has arrived. First the rom com Anyone but you, now Twisters success.

Hitman also did very well on Netflix 

Good strike of well received and succesful movies