Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

13 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Didnt have enough budget for roids.

I used to think he was on something, but then I saw a Jimmy Kimmell interview where he clarified that it was all just chicken, rice & broccoli. Silly me!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why keep watching them, then? Like, if you felt no emotion watching the first one, why watch more?

Because I had to take my kids to Cinema to see those movies.... They enjoyed it because most of the Marvel movies are for kids, not for sophisticated grown ups. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Don’t see this missing 500M with 212M opening

Huge success, even if surprisingly it’ll be far of the most succesful of the year 

True but it can get within single digits % of Inside Out 2 domestically, never would've thought that possible. 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

True but it can get within single digits % of Inside Out 2 domestically, never would've thought that possible. 

I though this would win easily few months ago. IO2 overperformed very hard, Deadpool is coming in what i expected. 

Maybe 650M for IO2 and 515M for Deadpool? Let’s see 

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Might get 4 Billion dollar films this year if Ridley delivers. 

even if Gladia2r is a breakout hit, I think $4B is optimistic.

• Haha 1

I tried watching the boys but couldn't get into. The whole "evil superheroes" thing was interesting, and a lot of the political messaging was well done satire.

The absurd violent scenarios turned me off of it quickly though. Like some of it I can understand, they are trying to portray sociopathic superheroes after all, and they're trying to paint you a scary dystopian world. But wow some of the violence in that show is stupid and unnecessary to a point I've never seen in popular media. And so much of it is done in scenarios where it's almost like it's supposed to be a mix of shock and humor? Which felt insane to me since the show seems to try and bounce between "look how scary and bad violence is" to "look how funny and cool violence is!"

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I though this would win easily few months ago. IO2 overperformed very hard, Deadpool is coming in what i expected. 

I'm expecting Deadpool and Wolverine to do somewhere between $550M at the low end and $600M at the high end. 

Just by looking at the fact that it did $6M more on Sunday compared to the estimates shows how strong both word-of-mouth and repeat viewings are for this movie and I expect that to carry it into August and the Fall. 

There is a really slim chance that it plays like either 2012's The Avengers or Jurassic World from here and slightly beats Inside Out 2's domestic total (somewhere between $640M-$650M), but I think it's most likely gonna settle for second place.

Regardless, Disney still wins. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Deadpool is not doing under $550M DOM with current reception. The true O/U is $600M which we should know if possible by the end of this weekend 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Deadpool is not doing under $550M DOM with current reception. The true O/U is $600M which we should know if possible by the end of this weekend 

It's settled, domestically:

Deadpool & Wolverine > Mario & Luigi 

And also I feel like Deadpool 3 is what DS2 would've done if it had good reception. As somebody who likes DS2, that movie truly did crash. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Just missed..... Jurassic World WW Weekend is 525 million, this is 444 million. 

Typo on my part, I was thinking Domestic but wrong on both counts as actuals put it over JW Domestic but less than WW Gross.   Funny "Jurassic World" run is still so dominate 9 years later.  

23 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I tried watching the boys but couldn't get into. The whole "evil superheroes" thing was interesting, and a lot of the political messaging was well done satire.

The absurd violent scenarios turned me off of it quickly though. Like some of it I can understand, they are trying to portray sociopathic superheroes after all, and they're trying to paint you a scary dystopian world. But wow some of the violence in that show is stupid and unnecessary to a point I've never seen in popular media. And so much of it is done in scenarios where it's almost like it's supposed to be a mix of shock and humor? Which felt insane to me since the show seems to try and bounce between "look how scary and bad violence is" to "look how funny and cool violence is!"

I don't think the violence itself is meant to be scary. It's the characters who are scary. The reason The Boys works for me is because I can completely believe that if you give people power, they will often behave in horrific, sadistic ways. Look at the number of executives, politicians, celebrities who get given "power" in real life and go from being normal people to abusing other humans.

I can remember when I was in school and kids would talk about "what superpower would you want" - and the number of boys who would say "Invisibility so I can go in the girls changing room" should, in hindsight, have been scary. For all the absurdity of its graphic violence and sex, The Boys speaks to the fact that a lot of people have dark or "intrusive" thoughts that could likely be acted upon if given unchecked power. Its like The Purge. Or like Lord of the Flies. If you are freed from the constraints of society and the law, then a lot of normal people would become violent and abusive.

There are plenty of satires which strike a nerve despite being utterly absurd on the face of it.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I don't think the violence itself is meant to be scary. It's the characters who are scary. The reason The Boys works for me is because I can completely believe that if you give people power, they will often behave in horrific, sadistic ways. Look at the number of executives, politicians, celebrities who get given "power" in real life and go from being normal people to abusing other humans.

The Boys bravely asks the question, What if everyone acted like the GOP?

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Typo on my part

No problem 😉

12 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Funny "Jurassic World" run is still so dominate 9 years later.  

There's a reason Jurassic World weekend post is still the biggest weekend post in BOT's history.