kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [Jul 29 - Aug 01, 2024] | Wednesday | 18.05M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 3.89M TWISTERS | 2.39M DESPICABLE ME IV | 1.37M INSIDE OUT II

16 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I watched Lightyear two years ago and don't remember a thing from it

None of characters from Toy Story are in Lightyear aside from Buzz Lightyear but not as toy that audiences loved but as an actual space ranger not even voiced by Tim Allen. It's nothing like the Toy Story movies. Nobody wanted it. It bombed.

Whereas, Moana 2 is returning the whole cast of characters from Moana. A better comparison to Moana would be a Toy Story sequel or a Frozen sequel.

It's completely different. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wattage said:

Everything about that movie existence is bizarre to me, capped off by that getting a theatrical release and Turning Red inexplicably bring sent to Disney+ for free within months of each other. I wish i couldve been a fly on the wall during that entire process.

well on the surface it makes sense. Disney claimed it was a covid surge that made them put Turning Red on streaming, but I think it was mainly just to goose Disney+ subscribers for investors.

And Lightyear was related to Toy Story, which never failed at the box office. Until it did.

And while it may be apparent to some people that Turning Red is a superior movie to Lightyear, it got some mixed reactions online that make me curious what an RT verified audience score would be.

Between the delays BOM has updating each day and the slowness / server failure for the-numbers recently seems like the dark ages for Web 1.0 BO data. Thank God for Twitter sources, but still such a shame. Never forgive what they took from us!

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eric Wilson said:

Look, even if Moana 2 is bad, and I am frankly more confident on it than most are, at least quality-wise, BvS legs for an animated movie is simply unheard of. Let alone for a movie that will have both Thanksgiving and Christmas to help support it. I just think getting to 600M is a ludicrous leap, and I hope we aren't fooling ourselves into thinking a more modest jump of 360M or something is a bad gross.

Clock it, babe!

I've seen the predictions too, and I fear we may be setting ourselves up. 😐

From my understanding, Moana was a smash, and the music was popular, but I have not seen it dominate the conversation in the way Inside Out did. Inside Out was referenced for a while even before the sequel was announced, and I feel Moana kinda died off.

Hoping the movie smashes though!

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

He is talking about overall gross. Yah. That will take 3 weeks or so. 

It is pretty crazy how IO2 had even better legs than the first despite:

1) being a sequel instead of an original

2) having a much larger OW (154M vs 90M)

3) not being as good

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Isn't it already behind IO2? 

I don’t think you are serious but for the sake of argument, no it has not.

By its first Wednesday, IO2 made $30.6m for a $235.5m domestic cume. Important to notice that IO2 was helped by the Juneteenth holiday which was its first Wednesday, and it had a harsh -34% drop for a 19.6m Thursday.

D&W in the other hand if it makes to $18m today breaks into $279.1m. It’s going to be a while. Obviously it will happen and it’s kind of a hilarious goal post to have comparing a Rated R Disney film to a PG Disney one, but it will take some time.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3638199041/?ref_=bo_tt_gr_1

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl4108092161/?ref_=bo_hm_RECENT_WEEKEND_WIDGET_1

Edited by ZattMurdock

22 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Deadline is now giving out early numbers for weekdays !!! That said its reasonable drop from discount tuesday. 

They've been off right from the beginning. Wouldnt surprise me if it squeaks out 20 million.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

$600M yes or no?

I say it’s too soon to call but my guts tell me it will crawl its way there. Competition for it is just non existent and Marvel Studios paid close attention to how NWH got their insane numbers. Reynolds is the type of hype machine that Marvel Studios never had, not even RDJ is able to sell a superhero film as much as he does. It’s getting there and Deadpool and Wolverine will be one for the history books. We are witnessing the beginning of an epic box office run here.