kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Obviously you aren't a wrestling fan. Running Up That Hill is used in what is considered the best wrestling hype video ever made a full decade before Stranger Things

And yet as Kate said it did not bring her in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ until it's use in Stranger Things.   The song now has 1.2B spotify views - her next closest doesn't have 200m but that's still far more than they had before.  It boosted her entire profile.  I believe after being terribly ignored for years it's why she was inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2023.   (which is moronic but they're after popularity more than greatness. Zevon still isn't in)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Again I’m sorry but lmao NO. And I’m far from a Nolan fanboy, just no.

The Blind Side adjusts to 364m domestic without all those IMAX tickets and it wasn't a film about one of the most significant events in history, made by the most bankable director in hollywopd right now

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

The Blind Side adjusts to 364m domestic without all those IMAX tickets and it wasn't a film about one of the most significant events in history, made by the most bankable director in hollywopd right now

Blind Side's run is enormously impressive. This isn't news. 

Are you still trying to use anecdotal evidence to downplay Longlegs run as well? Or, did you see the light with that one yet?

4 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Seth Meyers No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Look. I made my point. Your point is incredibly disconnected of the reality and you are doubling down on it. You are stil wrong, I won’t waste my time explaining the why once again.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Blind Side's run is enormously impressive. This isn't news. 

Are you still trying to use anecdotal evidence to downplay Longlegs run as well? Or, did you see the light with that one yet?

I've not even seen a trailer for Longlegs. I made 1 comment about what a single  friend said to me, later even admitting his film taste is either 'amazing or shit'. The legs looks very strong and clearly he was in the minority. I have no clue what relevance this has right now though 🙂

2 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

I've not even seen a trailer for Longlegs. I made 1 comment about what a single  friend said to me, later even admitting his film taste is either 'amazing or shit'. The legs looks very strong and clearly he was in the minority. I have no clue what relevance this has right now though 🙂

Are you seriously suggesting I'm wrong in saying The Blind Side was more impressive given the 29m budget, more tickets sold and the fact it was never advertised like a blockbuster in the way Oppenheimer was?

Worldwide though you are completely correct.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Obviously you aren't a wrestling fan. Running Up That Hill is used in what is considered the best wrestling hype video ever made a full decade before Stranger Things

And she made no money from that when they used it in wrestling. Kate Bush is quoted as saying that she made more money from stranger things than she ever has before from running up that hill.

Just now, toutvabien said:

So... this has a shot at $1.3B???

It will be close. We are witnessing a legendary box office run for a rated R film.

We need Ryan as Deadpool and Hugh as Wolverine until they’re 90.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

And she made no money from that when they used it in wrestling. Kate Bush is quoted as saying that she made more money from stranger things than she ever has before from running up that hill.

Get the Max kid to play the MCU Jean Grey while we’re at this tangent.

11 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

My mother didn’t let me go to the theaters to watch that. I had to watch with my godfather behind my parents back when it got the VHS release. But hey, I could see there is an argument for that.

From WIKI and an LA Times article from 1991, it just feels like box office repeating itself with another R rated flick playing to all audiences. The runs are how so similar.  I feel like you could replace Terminator 2 with Deadpool and Wolverine in that LA Times article and post it today. 

Over the five-day holiday weekend (Wednesday to Sunday), Terminator 2 grossed $52.3 million, becoming the second-highest opening five-day total ever behind Batman's $57 million in 1989,[108][116][117] It set a record opening for an R-rated film and for an Independence Day weekend. The opening week audience was evenly split between adults, teenagers, and children, about 25%–30% of whom were women, although TriStar said the figure was higher. The film benefited from repeat viewings by young audience members.[118] One theater chain executive said: "... nothing since Batman has created the frenzy for tickets we saw this weekend with Terminator. At virtually all our locations, we are selling out ... the word-of-mouth buzz out there is just phenomenal".[108] Industry professional Lawrence Kasanoff said it was an "open secret" that despite the R rating, children were seeing the film, remarking "When T2 opened, I saw kids skateboard up to the ticket window ..."[119]

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-07-14-ca-3214-story.html

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Are you seriously suggesting I'm wrong in saying The Blind Side was more impressive given the 29m budget, more tickets sold and the fact it was never advertised like a blockbuster in the way Oppenheimer was?

Worldwide though you are completely correct.

I think it's a weird take, though not necessarily wrong. It's just that you are wording it in a way to downplay the insane success of Oppenheimer rather than highlight The Blind Side's run. THAT was truly a weird phenom, playing huge in the US, as a football movie, but beyond what typical sports flicks do. It was non-existent outside the US, in a way not too dissimilar to Twisters, all things considered. It just played incredibly well to a particular set of audiences. 3 hour, R rated, partially black and white, dialogue heavy drama, or PG-13 inspirational (exploitative and downright fake) sports drama? I think in terms of obstacles to becoming huge hits, Oppenheimer had a steeper climb, but given what their domestic totals ended up being, TBS's success is probably a bigger "WTF" head-scratcher moment.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think it's a weird take, though not necessarily wrong. It's just that you are wording it in a way to downplay the insane success of Oppenheimer rather than highlight The Blind Side's run. THAT was truly a weird phenom, playing huge in the US, as a football movie, but beyond what typical sports flicks do. It was non-existent outside the US, in a way not too dissimilar to Twisters, all things considered. It just played incredibly well to a particular set of audiences. 3 hour, R rated, partially black and white, dialogue heavy drama, or PG-13 inspirational (exploitative and downright fake) sports drama? I think in terms of obstacles to becoming huge hits, Oppenheimer had a steeper climb, but given what their domestic totals ended up being, TBS's success is probably a bigger "WTF" head-scratcher moment.

North America*

TBS was quite popular up here too

Usually when movies break out in America they become popular here too in canada.

Edited by Torontofan

Inflation is extremely overrated

What about change in movie going habit and the medium of entertainment increasing??

OTT is far far more bigger worldwide right now then in 2019. 

So saying 500m in 2019 is 600m today is bit misleading in hindsight. I could be very well wrong but when judging movie performance, Inflation is wrong method

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

What about change in movie going habit and the medium of entertainment increasing??

So saying 500m in 2019 is 600m today is bit misleading in hindsight. I could be very well wrong but when judging movie performance, Inflation is wrong method

Roughly 80% of the time I see people bring up inflation here, it's typically just trying to downplay a movie's success or just to instigate a fight. Obviously the metric isn't totally invalid, but I do often feel like I have to sideeye people when they bring it up. It was especially annoying back in 2019 when Marvel nerds and Cameron nerds were trying to use inflation to dog on each other's movies, even though Endgame and Avatar were both objectively massive hits.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Ya, I think it's just one of those debates that are interesting but there is simply no way to compare performances across wide ranges like this. Consumer behaviour and product variety has changed so much - the most popular media being consumed today hadn't even been imagined when the Exorcist was blowing up in cinemas, so saying "Oh, that adjusts to 1.2 billion" is simply an oversimplified exercise. There just isn't a way to do this that makes sense, so just pick your poison and go with it.

• Like 1