Eric the Marxist

D23 2024 Discussion Thread | Friday, August 9 Entertainment Showcase (7:00-9:00 PM PDT) | Saturday, August 10 Experiences Showcase (7:00-8:300 PM PDT)

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Frozen 2 was a bit mixed indeed, especially critically

But Incredibles 2 had exceptional reviews and A+ on CS. They couldn’t get a better reception. Twitter hate is meaningless for this movie, they complain because nothing will ever beat their childhood.

What did Star Wars 9 receive? 

Yet there was a massive drop off with SW10. I've seen a number of these four quadrant blockbusters with great legs that were actually mediocre crap and been uninterested in the sequels. Black Panther, Captain Marvel etc. 

Obviously I am biased from my own reviews of these sequels (Frozen, TI2) but in the intervening years, they can be directly compared to their original films and whatever hype or nostalgic bias or whatever else will wear off. Pretty sure that their streams on Disney+ are also behind the originals, at least for Frozen.

It's like how kids think lots of terrible family movies are great until they grow up. Incredibles just loses the plot and character development and even the point of the first movie. Frozen never needed a sequel and the story was dogwater. And now they want a third and a fourth to tell the full story? lol 

It's basically driven by Iger not the creatives.

I'm hopeful for the reception of 2023 to Disney sequels to strike all these unnecessary shlock. I won't write Pixar off completely until I see the trailers but I don't need to see anymore of Mufasa, Snow White, Frozen to know what the driving force behind them is.

46 minutes ago, BK007 said:

What did Star Wars 9 receive? 

Yet there was a massive drop off with SW10. I've seen a number of these four quadrant blockbusters with great legs that were actually mediocre crap and been uninterested in the sequels. Black Panther, Captain Marvel etc. 

Obviously I am biased from my own reviews of these sequels (Frozen, TI2) but in the intervening years, they can be directly compared to their original films and whatever hype or nostalgic bias or whatever else will wear off. Pretty sure that their streams on Disney+ are also behind the originals, at least for Frozen.

It's like how kids think lots of terrible family movies are great until they grow up. Incredibles just loses the plot and character development and even the point of the first movie. Frozen never needed a sequel and the story was dogwater. And now they want a third and a fourth to tell the full story? lol 

It's basically driven by Iger not the creatives.

I'm hopeful for the reception of 2023 to Disney sequels to strike all these unnecessary shlock. I won't write Pixar off completely until I see the trailers but I don't need to see anymore of Mufasa, Snow White, Frozen to know what the driving force behind them is.

SW9 got a B+, awful reception, not nearly comparable. 

Captain Marvel had average legs. We’ll never know how a proper black panther sequel with Chadwick would perform. 

Again, there’s no much logic in comparing adult franchises with kids movies. Kids and their families like these movies, ditto why they have strong stats across the board. 

The problem is that many people grow, became less interested in these movies but keeps acting entitled due to nostalgia and pretending they’re still being made exclusively for them. Then they get mad and go online to complain because they obviously can’t connect with the new movies the same way.

I think is fine and healthy to conclude that if these movies doesn’t make sense for us anymore, is likely because we changed, they aren’t largely targeting us anymore and we could move on. 

Of course Hollywood is in a deep creative crisis, relying too much on IP’s and it’s depressing. Still, all these movies are driven by executives and money, not just the sequels, it’s an industry for a reason. Artists always are the ones who find a way to create something meaningful out of capitalism production, sometimes they succeed even in sequels and franchises, and sometimes they don’t.

There are genuine problems about these franchises and what they represent about our culture and economical politics, but i think is also true that sometimes isn’t the movies that are much worse, they’re still good and meaningful for many people, we’re the ones who changed as we grow and that’s fine.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

Here’s another example of hype > first impression. If this looks “old”, it’s because it is. (I animated that claw and alien over a decade ago.) There’s nothing ready to show from TS5 except for concept art.

• Like 1

So based on the Deadline article about Elio, it seems they didn't totally retool the story, but worked within it. That's good, while it's not super interesting to me, I didn't want to see it totally scrapped when there was already a trailer.

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

So based on the Deadline article about Elio, it seems they didn't totally retool the story, but worked within it. That's good, while it's not super interesting to me, I didn't want to see it totally scrapped when there was already a trailer.

Yes, apparently most of the changes are in the protagonist personality in the first act. They didn’t changed the plot, characters etc. 

It makes sense, these movies takes 5-6 years to be made, if they decided to remade most of it, they would probably have to delay it for 3 years lol. The 1 year delay always indicate some significant but normal alterations.

• Like 1

I wonder if Sharafian had already been brought on by the time that first teaser came out, since they had the Burrow easter egg in there

They were real lucky Yonas Kibreab's voice didn't crack this last year if the major issues were Elio's characterization.

Edited by AniNate

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

For a second I thought Zoe Saldana had replaced America Ferrera, but it appears she's playing another character. Doesn't seem like a Good Dinosaur situation where they ended up almost completely overhauling the voice cast.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For a second I thought Zoe Saldana had replaced America Ferrera, but it appears she's playing another character. Doesn't seem like a Good Dinosaur situation where they ended up almost completely overhauling the voice cast.

No, she really did replace America Ferrera. It's just that the new version of this character is Elio's aunt rather than mother.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No, she really did replace America Ferrera. It's just that the new version of this character is Elio's aunt rather than mother.

All the articles from the trades still had Ferrera listed among the voice cast but yeah, it does look like she got the boot in the retooling (or was simply unavailable to re-record her lines) after all. That's too bad.

Edited by filmlover
  • Sad 1