AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

Cate actually made Borderlands before Tar, that's how long it sat on the shelf. Good for her (and the rest of the talented ensemble, really) that she'll have an answer on standby for the "what is the worst movie you've ever made?" question when asked about it in interviews going forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cate actually made Borderlands before Tar, that's how long it sat on the shelf. Good for her (and the rest of the talented ensemble, really) that she'll have an answer on standby for the "what is the worst movie you've ever made?" question when asked about it in interviews going forward.

I think Jamie's answer to that will remain the same though (Virus) lol

• Haha 1

IEWU will be frontloaded but Sony is going to make a decent profit from it. I do think studios have neglected female skewing movies for so long in favour of male driven tentpoles even though some of the biggest box office hits of all time like Ghost and Titanic were driven by women. Even in places like the UK, two of the biggest films there are Mamma Mia! and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! and in some countries like Italy, they had big hits with films like There's Still Tomorrow. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

He's right about the annoying "nobody saw this coming" narrative for every female driven movie. 

It was clear starting from trailer views It was a very awaited movie.

And i mean It's Sony so the promotion was very bad- weak. With universal It would have been a 70-80M debut. 

Edited by vale9001

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

He's right about the annoying "nobody saw this coming" narrative for every female driven movie. 

It was clear starting from trailer views It was a very awaited movie.

And i mean It's Sony so the promotion was very bad- weak. With universal It would have been a 70-80M debut. 

How was promotion weak for this movie? It was literally everywhere. And over the past few days Reynolds has been promoting it in an attempt to give the timing of the release somewhat of a Barbenheimer vibe. For a domestic abuse drama that lacked appeal outside its core demos (both of the male leads are played by low-profile actors, one of them even being the director of the movie), they maximized its potential as well as they could.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

IEWU will be frontloaded but Sony is going to make a decent profit from it. I do think studios have neglected female skewing movies for so long in favour of male driven tentpoles even though some of the biggest box office hits of all time like Ghost and Titanic were driven by women. Even in places like the UK, two of the biggest films there are Mamma Mia! and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! and in some countries like Italy, they had big hits with films like There's Still Tomorrow. 

To be fair, studios really tried to appeal female audience after Twilight and Hunger Games, but the next attempts on these genres weren't so successful.

The studios focusing on male driven tentpoles happened because they found ways to consistently create success.

Edited by Kon

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

How was promotion weak for this movie? It was literally everywhere. And over the past few days Reynolds has been promoting it in an attempt to give the timing of the release somewhat of a Barbenheimer vibe. For a domestic abuse drama that lacked appeal outside its core demos (both of the male leads are played by low-profile actors, one of them even being the director of the movie), they maximized its potential as well as they could.

The press junket Reynolds/Jackman interview videos have been everywhere in my feed. Great marketing strategy.

• Like 2

I desperately want more romance movies in theaters so despite my strong dislike of the book I'm rooting for this movie. I'm going to see it tomorrow with friends so I hope it handles the themes better than the book did.

I want the theatrical resurgence of romance movies and we had an original (yes it's loosely based on Shakespeare but still original) in December and now this hit. I'm happy Sony is releasing these and I want more studios to get into it. And start filling in the mid budget hits on the calendar. 

• Like 2

I do wonder if Universal might reconsider having Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy on Peacock and release it theatrically, I know it's basically aimed at the overseas market and the domestic market is the UK but I think move it to January or April and it'll do okay. It's currently scheduled for Valentine's Day. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be fair, studios really tried to appeal female audience after Twilight and Hunger Games, but the next attempts on these genres weren't so successful.

The studios focus on male driven tentpoles happened because they found ways to consistently create success.

It speaks to Hollywood that they couldn't figure out how to make these movies consistently basically. And that there weren't enough good books for them to try and adapt either to get the market. Like no I'm not interested in Divergent and neither is anyone else.

I'm firmly in the target demo and so many of the attempts in the aftermath of Twilight and Hunger Games just felt super sad. Like generated in a lab levels of soulless and appealing to no one. And I wasn't even particularly picky then I was in high school and early college for a lot of that era lol 

August has proven itself to be a great time to release female-driven movies based on bestselling books. Julie & Julia, Eat Pray Love, The Help, and Crazy Rich Asians all did well in this time frame over the past 15 years.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I do wonder if Universal might reconsider having Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy on Peacock and release it theatrically, I know it's basically aimed at the overseas market and the domestic market is the UK but I think move it to January or April and it'll do okay. It's currently scheduled for Valentine's Day. 

I doubt it when the last one flopped here in the US. Should make for a popular VD streaming choice though.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

August has proven itself to be a great time to release female-driven movies based on bestselling books. Julie & Julia, Eat Pray Love, The Help, and Crazy Rich Asians all did well in this time frame over the past 15 years.

I doubt it when the last one flopped here in the US. Should make for a popular VD streaming choice though.

They can go for a theatrical release in the stronger markets and super limited domestic before streaming so they don't have to put a bunch of money into a market that its not poised to do well in, if they're gun shy