Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Fifth goes to Fathom’s 15th anniversary rerelease ofCoraline at 1,523 theaters with $2.2M today, $7.3Mfor the 3-day and $10.4M for the four-day. The Focus Features movie opened to $16.8M back in February 2009, and made $82.4M stateside.

10.4M for the weekend (because I'm sorry, yesterday was previews, I don't care how it's labeled) is absolutely bonkers. Glad it's doing well though; it's a modern classic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

10.4M for the weekend (because I'm sorry, yesterday was previews, I don't care how it's labeled) is absolutely bonkers. Glad it's doing well though; it's a modern classic.

You're a modern classic.

• Heart 1

Look I've already been shit on enough, so I shouldn't try to dig myself out, but wow I mean like the only people I know who have ever seen these movies are cinephiles and hardcore Comic Con types, just a whole different world that this is a franchise on that level tbh. Things like Back To The Future, Terminator, Ghostbusters much more resonance from the 80s with my people I love the movies myself but yeah that's been my personal experience. But hey, I'm very happy it is doing well, even though I found the movie mid as hell.

But look, my people also didn't see Dune or any Star Treks either really. Sci fi outside Star Wars just hasn't really hit amongst my groups.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Knock It Off 1

Furiosa's (the character) greatest asset was Theron's performance. She said so much with her eyes, there's a lot of pain and regret underneath the tough-no-nonsense persona. There's isn't much to the character narratively, and that's not a bad thing at all. The heart of the film is the silent understanding that develops between Furiosa and Max throughout the journey. It could easily be a silent feature,  everything is clear and understandable through gestures, looks and nods.

The problem begins when you make a prequel, and you cast a vastly inferior actress with none of the charisma, or lived-in experience that Theron exuded, and that actress is only in the second half of the film.

For my money, Mad Max: Fury Road is the greatest pure action film ever filmed. Furiosa is like the B-side outtakes, it has some great scenes but it delivers predictable answers to questions no one cared to ask for. 

Edited by The Dark Samurai

6 minutes ago, The Dark Samurai said:

Furiosa's (the character) greatest asset was Theron's performance. She said so much with her eyes, there's a lot of pain and regret underneath the tough-no-nonsense persona. There's isn't much to the character narratively, and that's not a bad thing at all. The heart of the film is the silent understanding that develops between Furiosa and Max throughout the journey. It could easily be a silent feature,  everything is clear and understandable through gestures, looks and nods.

The problem begins when you make a prequel, and you cast a vastly inferior actress with none of the charisma, or lived-in experience that Theron exuded, and that actress is only in the second half of the film.

For my money, Mad Max: Fury Road is the greatest pure action film ever filmed. Furiosa is like the B-side outtakes, it has some great scenes but it delivers predictable answers to questions no one cared to ask for. 

I think the problem is less about Anya Taylor-Joy being inferior to Charlize Theron and more the idea of doing a prequel that was almost purely relying on the goodwill of just one movie (not even really a franchise) that wasn't even that big of a success in the first place. That (at least to me) was the long-term problem that I hoped Furiosa would overcome, but it sadly didn't. 

Even if Theron was still playing Furiosa and not Anya Taylor-Joy, I don't think it really improves the prospects for the movie that much. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I think the problem is less about Anya Taylor-Joy being inferior to Charlize Theron and more the idea of doing a prequel that was almost purely relying on the goodwill of just one movie (not even really a franchise) that wasn't even that big of a success in the first place. That (at least to me) was the long-term problem that I hoped Furiosa would overcome, but it sadly didn't. 

Even if Theron was still playing Furiosa and not Anya Taylor-Joy, I don't think it really improves the prospects for the movie that much. 

At this point similar to what you said I just want George Miller to make whatever makes him happy. If it’s a Furiosa prequel? I might not have that much of a vested interest on that but I’m happy it exists. Now if he truly wants to make a Thor sequel with Chris Hemsworth, then I will be all over that. I just want Miller to make whatever makes him happy. 

Reading the spoiler thread it also seems like I'm way out of line on the consensus of this film too, I liked the first 45 minutes of setup and dread alot more than when it actually kicks off. I wish it was scarier.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Look I've already been shit on enough, so I shouldn't try to dig myself out, but wow I mean like the only people I know who have ever seen these movies are cinephiles and hardcore Comic Con types, just a whole different world that this is a franchise on that level tbh. Things like Back To The Future, Terminator, Ghostbusters much more resonance from the 80s with my people I love the movies myself but yeah that's been my personal experience. But hey, I'm very happy it is doing well, even though I found the movie mid as hell.

But look, my people also didn't see Dune or any Star Treks either really. Sci fi outside Star Wars just hasn't really hit amongst my groups.

You clearly don’t know a lot of people. And I’m not sure if you understand how tone deaf and ‘unhip’ you are sounding right now.

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You clearly don’t know a lot of people. And I’m not sure if you understand how tone deaf and ‘unhip’ you are sounding right now.

Ah yes, I am certainly going to take your opinion seriously on normal human interaction and friendship.

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

I have no stake in this but it is funny that everyone was railing against someone for saying Aliens appeals to mostly old white men and then the demos for the new movie came out and there are notably no stats on race and it's skewing much older and a lot on men lol. From experience there are many things I'm into that I wouldn't describe as me being in the core demo, it's not really a crime to say that. I love Star Wars for example and if someone says it's not really a series that appeals largely to black women...that's something I know. But the core demo is not the only demo. Even stuff that skews men or skews women is not entirely 100% one demo. 

All that being said Aliens has a bit more wide appeal as a horror thing than something like a Fury Road prequel years too late. Not really similar situations there for comparison, at least to me. Horror nerds are a different beast than the typical Mad Max fan I think. Just completely different franchises. 

Edited by wattage
typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

If myself as a die-hard Mad Max fan in general and Fury Road in particular, had absolutely no interest in the film partly due to the casting (i liked ATJ in The Witch and in nothing ever since) and partly because there wasn't a mystery that needed solving behind the character's past, how would anyone that isn't invested in the franchise would be interested in it? It was the most predictable box-office bomb ever. It was a film that was neither made for the general public, not for Mad Max fans (considering the character isn't there) and not for Fury Road fans considering the two leads of that film are not in the film. Every director wishes he could get $200 million to make whatever he wants. And while that's good for Miller, it's terrible for Mad Max fans because we're not seeing another film for a long time if ever, after this debacle.

Like i previously wrote, Theron WAS Furiosa. Her performance and unique looks made the character famous and popular, not the writing. It might not have made the film a blockbuster but i would have been invested in another story with her. Obviously, not in a prequel, as Theron is 49 years old, but a continuation of Fury Road, even without Max? I would have been there day 1.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ah yes, I am certainly going to take your opinion seriously on normal human interaction and friendship.

I’m not sure if you understand, I don’t know how Florida looks like, but you can’t say shit like Latinos and POC aren’t found of the Alien franchise and keep doubling down on that. Maybe if your own perspective is that skewed to an unrealistic degree that people on this very thread have already corrected you on that, maybe don’t double down and neither doubt fellow Latinos and POC users like myself and others that have already told you that’s not true. Maybe don’t be a dick as well.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Excuse you! 

I mainly said "old" audience in the "not new" sense. 

I mean, Alien is an old franchise. If 74% of the crew is over 25, that likely means the number of new audience isn't big.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not sure if you understand, I don’t know how Florida looks like, but you can’t say shit like Latinos and POC aren’t found of the Alien franchise and keep doubling down on that. Maybe if your own perspective is that skewed to an unrealistic degree that people on this very thread have already corrected you on that, maybe don’t double down and neither doubt fellow Latinos and POC users like myself and others that have already told you that’s not true. Maybe don’t be a dick as well.

Hey buddy, I just expressed an opinion about what I personally thought the movie would do where I admitted in the post that obviously I WAS WRONG. Jesus Christ. I don't lose my mind behind my keyboard at people who levy minor disagreements about franchises I don't like. I have posted my real name countless times, my social media, my website when I ran for fucking office. You don't get to attack me personally out of nowhere and say I don't have friends because I expressed my personal perspective on whatever franchise you're jerking off this week. I expressed my opinion based on what I see in my life - just like everyone on these fucking boards does. Maybe I'm wrong, PostTrak data says....we shall see. You're the one flipping out.

• Like 7