Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

16 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Alien number seems meh. Will sell less tickets than the previous 2. Should have just let Ridley finish his trilogy

The issue is Ridley movies were too expensive while the box office doesn't justify it. These likely reached breakeven point, but the studios clearly expected more than that. So, there is no way they continue with it especially after the drop from Prometheus to Covenant.

That said, I'm not sure studios will be happy with Romulus at the end. The budget for Romulus is less than Covenant, but not really A LOT less. I think Romulus will need better legs.

Edited by Kon

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I can't believe we don't have a Friday update yet. What did Deadpool do, it ends with us twisters and so on.

These days we typically just get a Friday afternoon update and then a late Saturday morning update

I think some people are being pessimistic. 40M ow, 100+ dom, 300 ww, is a great result given that this meant to be a straight to Disney+ release and was coming off a widely disliked predecessor.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I think some people are being pessimistic. 40M ow, 100+ dom, 300 ww, is a great result given that this meant to be a straight to Disney+ release. 

Yup. If a studio spends 80M~ production budget on a movie that earns 300M~ worldwide at the box office, they're generally pretty happy. People's expectations got carried away.

• Like 2

$300 million WW and an overall good reception from fans will be a great result for Romulus and the franchise.  There’s no way Disney will be disappointed with that.  They’d be more disappointed if they made 20% more and the reaction was mixed to negative. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I think some people are being pessimistic. 40M ow, 100+ dom, 300 ww, is a great result given that this meant to be a straight to Disney+ release and was coming off a widely disliked predecessor.

It's not doing 300 without good legs.

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

They’d be more disappointed if they made 20% more and the reaction was mixed to negative. 

Disney is the last studio that cares about reaction, they would've prefered 20% more with mixed reception. Money is money.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Disney is the last studio that cares about reaction, they would've prefered 20% more with mixed reception. Money is money.

Look where that got them the past few years.

They obviously care a bit more about quality now. They’re bending over backwards to fix things. 

This is a needed win after Prometheus and Covenant. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeah, but they have a great year so far, we'll see what happens next.

3 minutes ago, Alexander said:

People need to accept Alien, apredator, Ghostbusters, Terminator and many, many other 80s brands, they're not that massive with general population.

Would've been massive if sequels after last best entries were well received without question marks. Both Ghostbusters (2016) and Afterlife, for instance, did a massive damage to its respective franchise.

21 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It's not doing 300 without good legs.

Okay. They'll be happy with 250M~ WW even. Again, production budget was 80M~. Even with the old 2.5x production budget rule, that's still 50M~ in the black.

Having a responsible budget was wise here.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They obviously care a bit more about quality now. They’re bending over backwards to fix things. 

This is a needed win after Prometheus and Covenant. 

Is it really a win if the positive reaction doesn't attract new audience?

I think Disney cares about a good reception, but that tend to have another goal (attract more peope). The studio expectative is "good reception will attract more people".

That's why Alien Romulus needs to have good legs. Good reception will mean little for the studio if it only makes happy the current Alien fanbase.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Okay. They'll be happy with 250M~ WW even. Again, production budget was 80M~. Even with the old 2.5x production budget rule, that's still 50M~ in the black.

Studios weren't enough happy about Prometheus with 404.4M WW box office while the budget was 120-130M.

Now, you can say that the reception for Prometheus wasn't good, while the reception for Romulus seems better. However, good reception only matters if Romulus gets good legs.

Edited by Kon

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Studios weren't enough happy about Prometheus with 404.4M WW box office while the budget was 120-130M.

You can say that the reception for Prometheus wasn't good, while the reception for Romulus seems better. Still, good reception only matters if Romulus gets good legs.

Covenant was made with a 100M~ production budget within 5 years of Prometheus. It was even a direct sequel to it. Covenant was the one that essentially broke even or fell just short of breaking even.

47 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah, I'm just saying 250M is good for it, but not fantastic or anything.