Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

https://deadline.com/2024/08/box-office-alien-romulus-1236042166/

PLF and Imax are accounting for 52% of ticket sales so far for an audience that’s very dude at 70% male, 25-34 being the biggest demo at 33% with 18-34 attending at 60%. Diversity mix is 43% Caucasian, 26% Latino and Hispanic, 14% Black, 12% Asian and 6% NatAm/Other. Alien: Romulus is playing the best in the West, Mountain and South Central with the AMC Lincoln Square the highest grossing venue stateside with close to $70K so far.

• Like 1

I actually think we're in for a couple of months of almost nothing but good news, at least until the typically slow post-Thanksgiving frame arrives. October has Joker and Venom + Smile 2 as the most high-profile horror movie for Halloween and a couple of smaller titles that could be ones to watch out for (Saturday Night, We Live in Time). November's first half looks uneventful (though Here could do pretty well), but the pre-Thanksgiving through 5-day holiday frame combo of Wicked/Gladiator/Moana should provide more than enough positive vibes to go around.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

What are you talking about dude? That's an 80% jump on Friday from thursday. That's better than openheimer did last year on the same date. It's on Pace for about 27 million dollars this weekend.

Here is some perspective:

Jurassic World had a 70.5% Thur to Fri jump for a $26.2m fourth weekend, and that was during July 4th’s weekend (July 3rd Fri, July 4th Sat, July 5th Sun). If Deadpool & Wolverine holds well this weekend with a decent jump this Friday, it could potentially make more than JW during its 4th weekend and during a weekend famous for affecting the box office positively. I’m still not sure if it gets to $27m this weekend, it would be very fucking impressive.

Edited by ZattMurdock

September has this horror movie with James McAvoy and the trailers made really great numbers. The trailer #2 even made Better than the first with 20M views in just 3 weeks. 

Could be a typical horror surprise on "dead months"

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I actually think we're in for a couple of months of almost nothing but good news, at least until the typically slow post-Thanksgiving frame arrives. October has Joker and Venom + Smile 2 as the most high-profile horror movie for Halloween and a couple of smaller titles that could be ones to watch out for (Saturday Night, We Live in Time). November's first half looks uneventful (though Here could do pretty well), but the pre-Thanksgiving through 5-day holiday frame combo of Wicked/Gladiator/Moana should provide more than enough positive vibes to go around.

I expect We Live in Time to do really well. Feels like that movie has some great momentum

Just now, thajdikt said:

I expect We Live in Time to do really well. Feels like that movie has some great momentum

That carousel horse meme definitely getting it attention. If it plays well at TIFF I'm pretty sure it'll be a solid hit in the mainstream

• Like 1

From Deadline:

Top 10 chart:

1.) Alien: Romulus (20th/Dis) 3,885 theaters, Fri $18M, 3-day $40M-$42M/Wk 1

2.) Deadpool & Wolverine (Dis) 3,960 (-370) theaters, Fri $8.1M (-48%) 3-day $27M (-50%), Total $543.8M/Wk 4

3.) It Ends With Us (Sony) 3,739 (+128) theaters, Fri $7.7M (-68%) 3-day $24M (-52%), Total $97.7M/Wk 2

4.) Twisters (Uni/WB) 3,483 (-181) theaters, $2.75M (-39%), 3-day $9.2M (-39%), Total $237.8M/Wk 5

5.) Coraline (Fath) 1,535 theaters, Fri $2.69M 3-day $8.3M, Total $11.4M/Wk 1

6.) Despicable Me 4 (Uni) 2,788 (-221) theaters, Fri $1.57M (-39%) 3-day $5.5M (-31%), Total $339.9M/Wk 7

7.) Trap (WB) 3,181 theaters, Fri $1M (-51%) 3-day $3.25M (-51%), Total $35M /Wk 3

8.) Inside Out 2 (Dis) 1,850 (-350) theaters Fri $820K (-47%) 3-day $2.9M (-40%) Total $641.8M/Wk 10

9.) Borderlands (LG) 3,125 theaters, Fri $680K (-83%), 3-day $2.2M (-74%), Total $13.3M/Wk 2

1. Stree 2 (Parth) 666 theaters, Fri $600K, 3-day $2M, Total $2.4M/Wk 1

• Like 1

Just now, thajdikt said:

I could see it pulling The Big Sick numbers if it's acclaimed tbh. Garfield and Pugh are highly popular these days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Jurassic World had a 70.5% jump for a $26.2m fourth weekend, and that was during July 4th’s weekend (July 3rd Fri, July 4th Sat, July 5th Sun). If Deadpool & Wolverine holds well this weekend with a decent jump this Friday, it could potentially make more than JW during its 4th weekend and during a weekend famous for affecting the box office positively. I’m still not sure if it gets to $27m this weekend, it would be very fucking impressive.

JW had 29m 4th weekend 

• Like 3

Okay, a few things. Jurassic World is definitely getting dethroned. It’d need to drop off a cliff to miss 650m and it’d need to die to not reach Jurassic Worlds numbers. At best it only changes my prediction from 665 to 660m.

secondly, Alien could very well surprise on Saturday and Sunday because yeah, this seems way too front loaded. like, Marvel type front loading. Which seems unusual. Not even Prometheus and Covenant were this front loaded in their opening weekends

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Jurassic World had a 70.5% Thur to Fri jump for a $26.2m fourth weekend, and that was during July 4th’s weekend (July 3rd Fri, July 4th Sat, July 5th Sun). If Deadpool & Wolverine holds well this weekend with a decent jump this Friday, it could potentially make more than JW during its 4th weekend and during a weekend famous for affecting the box office positively. I’m still not sure if it gets to $27m this weekend, it would be very fucking impressive.

Jurassic World's 4th weekend was $29.2 million.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

September has this horror movie with James McAvoy and the trailers made really great numbers. The trailer #2 even made Better than the first with 20M views in just 3 weeks. 

Could be a typical horror surprise on "dead months"

This has been a Argyle like trailer for me. Almost every movie I have seen in the last few months heck even IO 2 I think. Just kidding but that may be the only movie it did not play it front of. Not my type of movie to begin with but it plays to it's audience and is a hit good for theatrical. 

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

Jurassic World's 4th weekend was $29.2 million.

3 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

JW had 29m 4th weekend 

My mistake yeah, $29.2m. Point still stands though: it would be closer than I thought. I wouldn’t call JW’s $654m safe right now when it comes to DP&W. I imagine it will eventually start having stronger weekends. Not sure if D&W would run until almost December like JW did, but I think it could. I know Brain Bug memes and all, but there is an actual shot here.

• Like 1

Not under 100M talks already lol

This is not going to get Covenant legs

42M would lead to 110M-ish quite easily with those audience scores. Frontloadness on OW doesn’t necessarily means awful legs, we all know that.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Okay, a few things. Jurassic World is definitely getting dethroned. It’d need to drop off a cliff to miss 650m and it’d need to die to not reach Jurassic Worlds numbers. At best it only changes my prediction from 665 to 660m.

secondly, Alien could very well surprise on Saturday and Sunday because yeah, this seems way too front loaded. like, Marvel type front loading. Which seems unusual. Not even Prometheus and Covenant were this front loaded in their opening weekends

Eh keep hoping for that. The female audience  and under 25 audience did not show up. Not a good sign for legs going forward.