Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

4 hours ago, Ryan C said:

Guys, it's gonna happen. 

Inside Out 2 is gonna officially dethrone The Lion King remake soon to become the highest-grossing animated film ever worldwide. That debate is finally going to end in a few weeks.

Thank god

What an awful movie it was lion King remake 😞

Keeping them on D+ does give Disney some wiggle room in controlling the narrative with those movies also, since I'm honestly not sure if the Pixar movies would've been that big in theaters even if they were pulled off D+. Lion King maybe could've done some bank but I don't think Disney wanted to take too much audience away from Inside Out 2.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Very definitive there. We shall see.

My parents who were in their 50s at the time called *me* talking about Black Panther and telling me they wanted to see it with the family. The world and the main character being the king of a powerful all black kingdom is what drew their attention. Not  just "black superhero". That movie needs to offer more than that to be seeing Black Panther. So yes I'm very definitive when I say no. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think you are lowballing a bit. If Cap 4 is as good as it looks and added the Deadpool & Wolverine hype, I am bullish confident that it has the potential of becoming a mini Black Panther phenomenon in the U.S., proven that it delivers in the grounded Captain America thriller flair, I could see it acting like a cross between The Winter Soldier OS and Black Panther DOM. 

If Captain America: Brave New World delivers, it provokes a snow ball effect that helps Thunderbolts* and I genuinely believe that both The Fantastic Four: First Steps and Superman will help each other out if they make their July dates. 

No im serious

this is the first cap movie in years. And we have not Steve Rogers here...

I am very scared of this film because it has been completely or almost completely reshot

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Bro's not even denying that he's just saying that cause Mackie is the lead lmao

I guess I'm happy we don't have to talk around the obvious reason he said it and get right down to it 

I think we’re well past the point that just having a POC or a woman as the lead of a CBM is enough to sell a movie on. Even Marvel isn’t selling BNW on that. They’re selling it is as political thriller with a red hulk, not be proud of us we cast a black man as Captain America. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wattage said:

My parents who were in their 50s at the time called *me* talking about Black Panther and telling me they wanted to see it with the family. The world and the main character being the king of a powerful all black kingdom is what drew their attention. Not  just "black superhero". That movie needs to offer more than that to be seeing Black Panther. So yes I'm very definitive when I say no. 

That’s not the angle I see with Captain America: Brave New World. I know very well the importance that Black Panther has, I know that it changed the game forever and its influence through pop culture goes far beyond the MCU. What I’m saying is: do no underestimate the power of an Afro-American Captain America during Black History month. I have my problems with Captain America & The Winter Soldier very much like I have with Captain America: The First Avenger, but the potential for something very strong and with something meaningful to say with Brave New World.

I’m not denying Black Panther’s importance, what I’m saying is that Black Panther being incredibly important doesn’t exclude the importance of an Afro-American Captain America to the domestic market. Also, I find you calling him "black superhero" extremely reductive and incongruent with how I see social media treating the character. Sam Wilson as Captain America means something and it has a powerful message, dating back to the end of Avengers: Endgame. If anything, Black Panther has opened the way for both Miles Morales as Spider-Man AND Sam Wilson as Captain America resonate with the audiences. 

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

This isn't really about MCU for the haters but a particular kind of MCU film with a particular kind of lead. Coincidentally, the last film I saw B-B-BUT THE BUDGET!! whinging and whining to validate that a 550M-ish range would be a bomb was The Little Mermaid. 

Hmm, I wonder what's common between Cap 4 and TLM

I’m sure the “woke” crowd does put targets in movies with minorities as leads, this is awful and very true. 

Still, TLM did cost 250M … i wouldn’t call it a flop because the DOM was strong, but it’s definitely one of the least succesful of these live actions. 

And while minorities suffers the most, the discourse goes on for any movie with decent grosses but super inflated budgets, like i said, MI7 was widely considered a bomb. 

If you didn’t see about it, than well, you probably doesn’t know our forum friend and number 1 Cruise hater, the one and only Maggie.

Edited by ThomasNicole

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s not the angle I see with Captain America: Brave New World. I know very well the importance that Black Panther has, I know that it changed the game forever and its influence through pop culture goes far beyond the MCU. What I’m saying is: do no underestimate the power of an Afro-American Captain America during Black History month. I have my problems with Captain America & The Winter Soldier very much like I have with Captain America: The First Avenger, but the potential for something very strong and with something meaningful to say with Brave New World.

I’m not denying Black Panther’s importance, what I’m saying is that Black Panther being incredibly important doesn’t exclude the importance of an Afro-American Captain America to the domestic market. Also, I find you calling him "black superhero" extremely reductive and incongruent with how I see social media treating the character. Sam Wilson as Captain America means something and it has a powerful message, dating back to the end of Avengers: Endgame. If anything, Black Panther has opened the way for both Miles Morales as Spider-Man AND Sam Wilson as Captain America resonate with the audiences. 

It's very funny that you're now being patronizing and trying to say I'm being reductive when it's very obvious you're only basis for this is that he's a black superhero which is why I said it. But it's a problem if I say that him being black and a superhero is not just what Black Panther was doing and not why it resonanted so strongly in my own community so it as a comparison is not what you want to be doing. I know when it's coming out. I know who he is. If you want to say it'll over index with black audiences potentially then say that and try not to just compare every black character to one another thanks. 

I'm done talking with you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m sure the “woke” crowd does put targets in movies with minorities as leads, this is awful and very true. 

Still, TLM did cost 250M … i wouldn’t call it a flop because the DOM was strong, but it’s definitely one of the least succesful of these live actions. 

And while minorities suffers the most, the discourse goes on for any movie with decent grosses but super inflated budgets, like i said, MI7 was widely considered a bomb. 

If you didn’t see about it, than well, you probably doesn’t know our forum friend and number 1 Cruise hater, the one and only Maggie.

It made 2.28x its budget with a very domestic heavy split and basically nothing from China. Either it lost a very tiny amount of money or barely broke even overall, either way I wouldn't really call it a success because studios do not put $250M into a major IP just to barely break even

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

I am very scared of this film because it has been completely or almost completely reshot

This has been literally disproven by multiple sources man. Come on

• Like 4

A big factor for BNW is also that big SH MCU movies have been far apart lately and the thirst for more is getting bigger. Nothing new really on D+ either…

So many will go because they need a big superhero movie and D&W was 7 months before

I was really struggeling in the last 2-3 years with mainly bad movies and tv shows. And im a huge Marvel fan for 40 years now. I have 5000+ comics collected as a kid. 

But the thirst for more is back and BNW will do more than most pessimists say..

120 mill OW (4day)

290 mill DOM

350 mill OS

Good enough number going forward in rebuild of MCU

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Everything about how TLM was talked about with bad faith actors for...years really...color the conversation around it. There were a lot of people who suspiciously suddenly cared about movies breaking even and comparing live action movies that normally don't give a shit and we all knew why. Not really the case in here though since it's a box office forum but on the outside. 

All that being said the very good domestic haul for that movie definitely put it in a much better position than MI7. So it had that going for it. I think that one is just a murky case. Lots of toy sales and various ancillaries we just can't account for on the back end. 

• Like 5