titanic2187

Weekdays thread 19/8-22:8

I'm so confused about Alien: Romulus. Why do I keep running into online articles full of comment sections ripping apart the film, but when I go to Letterboxd, I find that it's actually a pretty well-received film?

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm so confused about Alien: Romulus. Why do I keep running into online articles full of comment sections ripping apart the film, but when I go to Letterboxd, I find that it's actually a pretty well-received film?

I mean online article comments in general tend to be hate filled for really no reason at all, at least in my experience. Not really anything to pay attention to imo. 

4 minutes ago, wattage said:

I mean online article comments in general tend to be hate filled for really no reason at all, at least in my experience. Not really anything to pay attention to imo. 

True, but it does feel like now, more than ever, there's a huge disconnect between general audiences and people who spend all their time online.

10 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Online critics like RLM have gone after Alien Romulus for being too fanservicy so a lot are just following them

20 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

True, but it does feel like now, more than ever, there's a huge disconnect between general audiences and people who spend all their time online.

I mean there was always a disconnect between the terminally online and regular people I think that type is just more obnoxious now because everything online is so centralized now. People who use letterboxed are still online, it's basically a social media platform at this point, they're just not the types of people who go through YouTube and articles comments to be hateful because they get their opinions from their favorite podcaster or whatever. There's people who definitely don't like the movie on the platform because it's not a hive mind but they're just gonna write a review and move on. 

Edited by wattage
Typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The most vocal people online tend to be the kind who have miserable lives in the real world and can only find pleasure in bringing others down to their level. But even they can't keep up the impassioned hatred of any movie for that long, eventually they get bored too and have to find a new flavor of the week to crusade against.

• Like 4

Based on the Monday to Wednesday drops for both movies I think Aliens can pull the win with a low 50s drop vs a mid 30s for Deadpool but waiting for Thursday numbers to place my bets (metaphorically speaking) 

Edited by wattage

43 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Check out the Spoiler thread on this website.  You'll see people loving it and people not liking it.  I do wonder if the movie is playing better for people who never have been fans of the Alien movies or seen the prior films.  Having no knowledge of all the call backs, references probably makes it a unique creature feature horror movie.   

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Isn’t Blink Twice meant to be pretty good? 

Currently 76% on RT after 72 reviews and a stellar 7.8/10 average rating among top critics. I get that this time of year is technically a dumping ground but at the end of the day studios have to find an open release window and breathing room to get screens and showtimes, especially for original projects that don't have a built in audience. 

About the crow remake

No offence but if you want to be taken seriously as actress how can you call yourself FKA twigs..i get she's also a musician and whatever but girl that's not Cher or Lady Gaga. You need a name the average people can pronounce.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

About the crow remake

No offence but if you want to be taken seriously as actress how can you call yourself FKA twigs..i get she's also a musician and whatever but girl that's not Cher or Lady Gaga. You need a name the average people can pronounce.

By no means am I defending this movie, but this quote is such a boomer take. What does this have to do with the merits of the film they watched? 

1 hour ago, Eric Ripley said:

*whispers* The secret is that most audiences actually like member berries and callbacks and nostalgia pandering.

So do critics. NWH, Ralph 2 etc. prove critics like nostalgic callbacks and key jangling.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

About the crow remake

Because to be taken seriously you have to be talented, not just an easily pronounced name. 

FKA is easily one of the best artists of the past decade with actual raw talent. Hopefully she will have more lucky with the David Lowery musical she’s doing than this stupid remake.

• Like 1

The Crow '24 looks like crap (and probably is given the lack of reviews/screenings + dumpy release date). Never considered the '94 edition an untouchable masterpiece, but this just seems so classless in comparison.

16 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

So do critics. NWH, Ralph 2 etc. prove critics like nostalgic callbacks and key jangling.

Well I like those movies too (and Romulus!), so like…guess I’m part of the problem. 🙃