Krissykins

Weekend Thread August 23rd-25th

33 minutes ago, Kon said:

Maybe I'm too pessimistic for Alien Romulus, but I think Deadline prediction is too high. I think the weekend for Alien Romulus could go this way:

Friday 4.5M

Saturday 7M

Sunday 3M

I'd say you are being too pessimistic, that Sunday drop is way too steep even recent super fan frontloaded movies like that Five Nights movie wasn't seeing over a 50% drop on the Sunday. Is there a movie you're looking at that dropped like that, I might not know about it.

If that happened then something went critically wrong somewhere. No comment on the Saturday number though, it could be very muted, I wouldn't bet on it but I wouldn't be completely shocked like I would at that Sunday number.

August box office is at 711m. Should be at 800m+ at the end of the weekend and should pass 2023 on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

but honestly this weekend and next weekend were always going to be weak so it’s not that surprising that it’s below 100m weekend. But the good news is after Labor Day, every weekend until the end of the year should be above 2023

41 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Well let's just wait for her to educate us)

I don't want to start a debate, but if she somehow continues to call this movie a flop despite setting itself up for a worldwide gross of $350M (Heck, $400M worldwide could happen if it recovers after this weekend), can we not listen to her. Please someone put out to her that the budget is $80M before she keeps embarassing herself. 

I don't even watch her to begin with, but that's a genuinely bad take. Just because Alien: Romulus might not pass Prometheus does not make it a box office disappointment. No one was expecting that to happen before last weekend. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I don't want to start a debate, but if she somehow continues to call this movie a flop despite setting itself up for a worldwide gross of $350M (Heck, $400M worldwide could happen if it recovers after this weekend), can we not listen to her. Please someone put out to her that the budget is $80M before she keeps embarassing herself. 

I don't even watch her to begin with, but that's a genuinely bad take. Just because Alien: Romulus might not pass Prometheus does not make it a box office disappointment. No one was expecting that to happen before last weekend. 

I think Grace has never called Alien Romulus as a flop. She likely knows this movie will make profit for the studio at the end.

However, she just said the audience for Alien doesn't seem to go beyond the fanbase, which is a strange situation since the studio clearly wanted to attract a younger new audience with Romulus.

Edited by Kon

Just now, Kon said:

I think Grace has never called Alien Romulus as a flop. She likely knows this movie will make profit for the studio at the end.

However, she just said the audience for Alien doesn't seem to go beyond the fanbase, which is a curious situation because the studio clearly wanted to attract a younger new audience.

Scream 6 attracted a younger audience and that made similar numbers to Alien

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kon said:

However, she just said the audience for Alien doesn't seem to go beyond the fanbase, which is a curious situation because the studio clearly wanted to attract a younger new audience.

Ok, but if that's the case, then why is she acting so condescending to the fact that Alien: Romulus could match Prometheus? 

It might not happen, but with how strong it is doing in China and other overseas markets, you never know? I'm just not getting any kind of good vibe when she's talking about this movie financially. 

A smarter box office analysist would say "Alien: Romulus might not beat Prometheus and the brand might not have moved past beyond its core fanbase, but is still a good success with 300M+ worldwide on a $80M budget." Acknowldege the problems, but also highlight the accomplishments without doing it in such a condescending way.

• Like 1

I mean it's not very easy for a franchise that's been around since the 70s to get a younger audience unless you totally reboot everything a la James Bond or, to an extent, Planet of the Apes. And even then, Rise of the Apes still grossed less than the Burton film domestically despite a decade of inflation. It also doesn't help that Romulus is coming off a franchise that has dealt with poorly-received projects that span 3 decades. I think Romulus getting close to Prometheus is still commendable, and I can see a scenario where, like with the Apes series or the Craig Bonds, a sequel can increase upon its predecessor thanks to goodwill from old and new fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

@Cooper Legion do you still think DPW is passing Jurassic World? I don't think it will now, finish in the low 640s it's looking like. Which is GREAT but kinda annoying to end THAT close to the original release domestic top 10

Definitely a bit weak past 3 days. Seems to be narrowing in on 640-655ish

12 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Weirdly enough it over performs on weekends compared to weekdays. Honestly if it holds really well this weekend I could see a 650m total

12 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Where do you think inside out will end UP ? 655m ?

8 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Weirdly enough it over performs on weekends compared to weekdays. Honestly if it holds really well this weekend I could see a 650m total

Not weird, R-rated films don’t benefit from summer weekdays as much as other films.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Slightly off topic but: we talk about how much we hate seeing the Speak No Evil trailer but I’d argue the AfrAId and Smile 2 trailers have reached a similar level of irritating. 

I went and saw Twisters again today ,  that dam Speak trailer played because it's a law it has to in front of any non animated/family movie I think,  A lady in the audience loudly said that's a hard pass. A lot of people laughed. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

You know. Even Alien 3 wasn’t huge considering it was the direct follow up to Alien and Aliens. I think to a lot of people. The story ended with 2 and there is no need for any further installments 

See also: the Terminator franchise

• Like 3

The same Grace Randolph that declared Homecoming a flop even though it hadn't released in Japan and China at the time.

Also we could be in a timeline that Alien Romulus was a streaming exclusive release like Prey was. Thankfully studios have seen the light of day in that regard.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

40 minutes ago, John Marston said:

You know. Even Alien 3 wasn’t huge considering it was the direct follow up to Alien and Aliens. I think to a lot of people. The story ended with 2 and there is no need for any further installments 

I mean, all the Aliens character deaths in Alien 3 pissed off the fans, who would have been the most likely to be repeat viewers. 

• Like 1