Krissykins

Weekend Thread August 23rd-25th

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Reagan isn't a documentary, it's so much...more:

Dennis Quaid! Jon Voight! Penelope Ann Miller! That '80s Bond villain who also directed My Son Hunter! This started filming in September 2020, lol.

I'm just amazed they not only picked Dennis Quaid, a man who literally looks nothing like Ronald Reagan, but also that guy from Wizards of Waverly Place to look like young Ronald Reagan. Who doesn't look like Ronald Reagan or even Dennis Quaid. Great casting all around!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Reagan isn't a documentary, it's so much...more:

Dennis Quaid! Jon Voight! Penelope Ann Miller! That '80s Bond villain who also directed My Son Hunter! This started filming in September 2020, lol.

If they made a serious Reagan movie with proper director and cast, I do think it would make $100M+ Domestically.

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Disney will expand it and I think 3m+ over 4 day will happen. Should cross 650m by labor day and cross the dino movie within couple of weeks post that.  

Using I2 as a comp

I2 did 

$1.642M the weekend before Labor Day.

It then got the Labor Day Expansion and did 

$3.372 for Fri-Sun (+105%)

$4.718 for Fri-Mon 

Same jumps would give IO2

$4.305M Fri-Sun

$6.034M Fri-Mon

My model with updated estimates from this weekend (which uses the daily numbers - do right now the estimate for Fri, Sat and Sun) currenly has IO2 passing $650M on Saturday and passing JW on Monday.

• Like 2

IO2 is unlikely to repeat those jumps because it's currently in a 50% wider release (1,560 theaters vs 1,060) than Incredibles 2 was the weekend before Labor Day. Consequently, it's not gonna need as big an expansion %-wise.

• Like 2

Do we have any idea on how big the expansion is actually going to be? Elemental was low 2000s vs I2 and Toy Story 4 in the high 2000s. I don't know if Elemental was lower than normal due to it having smaller grosses in the first place or if that's just how they're going to be now in this new era.

15 minutes ago, wattage said:

Do we have any idea on how big the expansion is actually going to be? Elemental was low 2000s vs I2 and Toy Story 4 in the high 2000s. I don't know if Elemental was lower than normal due to it having smaller grosses in the first place or if that's just how they're going to be now in this new era.

At least Elemental got one (RIP Lightyear gone and certainly forgotten)

2 hours ago, Eric Ripley said:

I'm just amazed they not only picked Dennis Quaid, a man who literally looks nothing like Ronald Reagan, but also that guy from Wizards of Waverly Place to look like young Ronald Reagan. Who doesn't look like Ronald Reagan or even Dennis Quaid. Great casting all around!

It's a Ronald Reagan hagiography being distributed by ShowBiz Direct (I guess Ketchup Entertainment passed?). Still, even with rock bottom expectations, TV movie biopics have done better casting jobs and with a bigger time/money crunch.

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

If they made a serious Reagan movie with proper director and cast, I do think it would make $100M+ Domestically.

I can only picture a generally flattering Ronald Reagan biopic making that kind of money now, but not a lot of top directors in the industry would want to take that on.  Maybe Mel Gibson, if he weren't in the dog house with mainstream Hollywood? The audience for a Reagan movie would trust his take on the material.

Speaking of Mel, he's finally directed another movie after Hacksaw Ridge:

Marky Mark, Lady Mary and Eric Foreman in an action thriller? Wahlberg letting himself be bald onscreen? They should save this one for National Cinema Day weekend.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimmyB said:

She said it got a B+ and that was the best score since Aliens. She also put up a screen shot of the box office of all the other films in the franchise and talked about its opening vs other films in the franchise.  

Why does she think it needs to get to $400m to be considered a hit then? (Despite already being at 3x its budget after two weekends)?

if that was the bar for success this year we’d have very few hits.

• Like 1

D&W wont be getting any expansion since it is already at a massive 3,800 theaters and but at least nothing big is coming out next week. Crazy studios left the Labor Day WE wide open.

Maybe studios just think LD the worst holiday WE to open a movie? Because all schools immediately start up afterwards.

Edited by Mojoguy

Posted (edited)

Talking about expansions:

Inside Out 2 is playing once tomorrow at my local. From Friday it’s playing eighteen times a day because of national cinema day. So it’s expansion is 18x here. 

Edited by Krissykins

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Talking about expansions:

Inside Out 2 is playing once tomorrow at my local. From Friday it’s playing eighteen times a day because of national cinema day. So it’s expansion is 18x here. 

Disney getting all that IO2 theater money in before it comes out on video on 9/10.

53 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Speaking of Mel, he's finally directed another movie after Hacksaw Ridge:

Speaking of that, Nevada has a cool system where they just dump the tax credit application online so you can see the breakdown of how the film's (pre-post production) spending went down. 

https://goed.nv.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Hearing-Agenda-June-27-2023.pdf

• Like 1

Kind of a weak hold for DPW, though fingers crossed sun will randomly overperform again.

Now looking for maybe 605-610 the through Labor Day, likely 640s finish

50 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Kind of a weak hold for DPW, though fingers crossed sun will randomly overperform again.

Now looking for maybe 605-610 the through Labor Day, likely 640s finish

It will pass Jurassic World

Whatever it takes

Spoiler

Seriously though at this point what's the chance at $653.406M?

The other Cooper is saying that $650M/JW is dead :(

Edited by HummingLemon496

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Why does she think it needs to get to $400m to be considered a hit then? (Despite already being at 3x its budget after two weekends)?

if that was the bar for success this year we’d have very few hits.

In the video she never says it needs 400m to be a hit. She does have a pinned comment saying 300m to breakeven.  I dont know, she talked about the Cinemascore, compared the films opening to other films, says its doing very well overseas especially in China, she talks about the demos that saw it.  Her own fandom, loving the movie and thinking it should have had a way bigger opening is the main problem in her rant.