Eric the Marxist

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

Day 35 domestic box office comparison between DPW and Inside Out 2

DPW  - $1,608,248 ($584,341,117)

IO2 - $2,483,665 ($583,575,604)

With Labor Day weekend is here, Deadpool and Wolverine's lead will extend this Monday due to Labor Day increase, but it will be trailing behind IO2 in coming days as summer season is coming to a close.

Also, DPW is trailing behind Jurassic World by 15 million.

Edited by Migs20242

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Okay maybe 650 million is possible if Beettlejuice does not suck the oxygen out of the marketplace next weekend.

Nah it's dead RIP

Whatever passing JW doesn't matter anyways because that's not even the entry for DOM top 10 anyway

7 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Nah it's dead RIP

Whatever passing JW doesn't matter anyways because that's not even the entry for DOM top 10 anyway

DPW is still trailing behind Jurassic World by 15 million after 36 days of domestic box office.

9 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

DPW is still trailing behind Jurassic World by 15 million after 36 days of domestic box office.

By end of day Monday it will be down to 6 million-ish. Still very, very slim chance at winning if it somehow manages to copy GOTG 1 from here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

NO

It will pass JW, trust the GOTG '14 process ;)

Place you dreams in the sat bump and next wknd hold I guess 😛   

A funny thing about comparing these 5 movies (which will be 5 in a row in DOM finish) is that each weekend has a different winner:

OW DPW 211M 

2nd wknd JW 106M

3rd IO2 57M

4th TA 36M

5th Barbie 21M 

6th likely wrap back to DPW ~16M  

IMG-5386

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Serious question, why would DPW post labor day trail GOTG 1 despite basically matching it so far? Is it because of BeetleJuice?

Partially competition but partially just that Gotg1’s late legs were kah-razy and DPW has been dropping against it recently. For instance DPW’s weekly (last days) gross was at 121% of gotg1’s (calendar adjusted) at the end of DPW’s 3rd week. Dropped to 114% 4th week, 106% 5th week, and will be ~95% by Mon using my ests. Probably about 70-85% for post Mon — will decline from 95% to under 50% probably by the time Joker 2 hits, but the earlier period is where more of the money is made so it’s weighted higher

9 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

A funny thing about comparing these 5 movies (which will be 5 in a row in DOM finish) is that each weekend has a different winner:

OW DPW 211M 

2nd wknd JW 106M

3rd IO2 57M

4th TA 36M

5th Barbie 21M 

IMG-5386

I would be curious if any other trivia hunters out there can find another example of this — 5 movies 5 in a row on DOM total, where each of the first 5 weekends was won by a different one of the movies. I think it’s actually a very very very difficult criteria!   

I think sometimes @TalismanRing has been good at hunting stuff of this nature and some other people who I’m embarrassing forgetting atm 😅

10 hours ago, Ryan C said:

Yeah, last September (and 2022's September) were really miserable. This one is gonna start off with a bang and has three more movies that have potential to open to over $20M.

Also, I think every month from September to December has a literal shot of having a movie open to $100M. We literally had no movie open to that number between Barbie and Inside Out 2. 

September: Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

October: Joker: Folie á Deux

November: Moana 2

December: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (I'm probably overshooting with this one, but I wouldn't be shocked)

For now though, let's just have one last final hurrah for the summer movies that have been keeping the box office streak going for this long. This is exactly what we needed after a terrible start to the summer. 

It’s more likely that Mufasa opens to 100m than Sonic honestly. 

1 hour ago, Cooper Legion said:

OW DPW 211M 

2nd wknd JW 106M

3rd IO2 57M

4th TA 36M

5th Barbie 21M 

IMG-5386

So JW was made to be over $650M. Like naturally it would have just died at $645M.

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So JW was made to be over $650M. Like naturally it would have just died at $645M.

Well labor expansion boost quite typical for huge May/June movies right. Just looking at my pic you’d think TA end around 618 

• Like 2