Eric the Marxist

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

2 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

Disney left a ton of money on the table by sending Prey and Hocus Pocus 2 straight to streaming. 

Disney might be thinking the same thing, Moana 2 started out as a streaming series for D+ until it was repurposed into a movie to be released in theaters. Imagine how much money theaters would have lost out if Moana had been sent to D+ instead of theaters.

• Like 1

Guess I'll throw in my predicts:

Moana 2 - 500m
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice - 400m
Joker: Folie a Deux - 399.99m
Mufasa - 350m
Wicked - 320m
Gladiator II - 250m
Sonic 3 - 225m
Venom: The Last Dance - 220m
The Wild Robot - 200m
Transformers One - 130m

10 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

Top ranking 600M+ grosser :

1) : Infinity War

2) : Top Gun Maverick

3) : Avengers 1

4) : Black Panther

5) : Barbie

6) : Avatar

7) : IO2

8 : Incredibles 2

9) : D&W

10) : Endgame

11) : Avatar 2

12) : Star Wars 7

13) : NWH

14) : Titanic

15) : Jurassic World

16) : Star Wars 8

1. Deadpool and Wolverine 

2. Infinity war 

3. Top Gun Maverick

4. Titanic 

5. Endgame

6. Avatar 

7. Jurassic World

8. The Avengers 

9. Barbie 

10. No Way Home

11. Incredibles 2

12. The Force Awakens 

13. Black Panther 

14. The Last Jedi

I find a lot of these to be Mid. The only ones I enjoy or like are 1-4.

Edited by Justin

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney might be thinking the same thing, Moana 2 started out as a streaming series for D+ until it was repurposed into a movie to be released in theaters. Imagine how much money theaters would have lost out if Moana had been sent to D+ instead of theaters.

It's insane to think that Moana 2 was originally going to be a D+ series but when it was announced to be a theatrical movie, everyone instantly assumed it would make a billion or close!

Makes you wonder how much money WDAS was leaving on the table in the 90s by not releasing the sequel films to their Renaissance giants in theaters. I see even the shit ones like Return of Jafar making a lot of money, especially during OW. The decent ones like Simba's Pride would have been HUGE.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Americans have shit taste

Can we not do this crap? I've always hated how we're expected to just take drive by swipes like this on the chin just because it's socially acceptable on the Internet to knock America

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

Starting to buy into the Moana 2 billion hype, but I don't want any ppl disappointed if it "only" makes $350m domestic and $850-900m worldwide... that will already be a pretty big bump from what the first one did.

Feel like Mufasa ends up making about half of TLK... but probably a tight race between it and Sonic 3 during opening weekend... but Mufasa's ow is gonna represent a smaller % of its total compared to Sonic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's insane to think that Moana 2 was originally going to be a D+ series but when it was announced to be a theatrical movie, everyone instantly assumed it would make a billion or close!

Makes you wonder how much money WDAS was leaving on the table in the 90s by not releasing the sequel films to their Renaissance giants in theaters. I see even the shit ones like Return of Jafar making a lot of money, especially during OW. The decent ones like Simba's Pride would have been HUGE.

The idea of a movie that looks as horrific as Return of Jafar or Hunchback of Notre Dame 2 being on the big screen is a concept so terrifying that it can keep a man awake at night.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Whatever money they left on the table theatrically they probably made in VHS sales. I'm sure my mom probably wouldn't have been as compelled to buy return of jafar if we saw it in theaters first. Also Disney likely would've had to spend a lot more on marketing. 

Moana 2 at least doesn't seem like a steep step back technically from the first movie, which was definitely not the case with the Aladdin sequels.

Edited by AniNate

I’m happy to see these giant predictions for Moana 2. I remember how disappointed most people on the forums were when the first film opened. 

I always thought it was one of the better Disney films. Hope this one is as good. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I’m happy to see these giant predictions for Moana 2. I remember how disappointed most people on the forums were when the first film opened. 

I always thought it was one of the better Disney films. Hope this one is as good. 

I always maintained it was just Sing that hurt Moana's initial BO. Illumination was at peak power at the time.

2 hours ago, Eric Ripley said:

The idea of a movie that looks as horrific as Return of Jafar or Hunchback of Notre Dame 2 being on the big screen is a concept so terrifying that it can keep a man awake at night.

Haven't seen Hunchback 2 but Return of Jafar is a better looking film than Dinosaur

That film in particular

Homer Simpson Bleach GIF - Homer Simpson Bleach Laugh - Discover & Share  GIFs

FWIW

Titanic

The Force Awakens

DP&W

Endgame

Infinity War

Avengers

Maverick 

Jurassic World

No Way Home

Black Panther

The Incredibles 2

IO2

Barbie

TLJ 

19 hours ago, justnumbers said:

Yeah Alien will have a fight for that 100M Domestic. Very excited to see how it pans out either way. Thankfully we have @JimmyB to solely focus on negatives at the box office, even within the successes. That's all he does.

What I'm even curious about is Predator. I wonder...will they put a Prey 2 in theaters? A sequel to a streaming movie..

Right now, they're filming the spinoff first, Predator Badlands. That should be a no brainer for theaters, if only to see how one of these performs in theaters. Hopefully it's as good as Prey.

If you told me in June we'd have two 600m dollar movies at the domestic box office plus a 350m dollar film I'd say no fucking way.  That's insane.  Yes, I think it's bad business to need a movie every 6 weeks or so to not just overperform but enter or get near the top ten highest grossing movies of all time to just keep pace with 2023.  We haven't seen a "trickle down" to other releases.  The number of films that open wide and barely gross 20-30 million domestic is huge issue IMO.  2024 isn't like 2022 where theaters would have no new wide releases for weeks.  This year, will have as many wide releases as 2019.  Imaginary's gross at 28m will be in the top 50 highest grossing films at the 2024 box office. The box office before Covid was treading to more top heavy, this feels like something else. The hits are bigger, FOMO carries over to the 2nd weekend.  The other side, the flops are rejected faster, even films that open okay like Trap, it's box office run is basically done after 21 days.  I think whats happening is really interesting...what happens when nostalgic IP has a few misses? Is the future 4dx Universal theme park like rides for films or will it be a fade like 3d? 

As for Alien, I thought the comments during its opening weekend that the movie would easily get to 125m plus didn't make sense when the past 30 years of Alien movies, the best legs any of those films had was 2.5x the opening weekend.  The franchise has always been limited to its core fanbase and has struggled to reach past that.  I don't think that's a negative, I think it just is what it is.

I'm kind of in awe at twisters legs. I don't think anybody expected it to be this laggy and this powerful. It's too bad it didn't catch on internationally as much as it did domestically or could have probably made around 500 million. But still a really good success and I personally contributed twice. In fact the only movies I've seen twice this summer are Deadpool at three times and twisters twice. I'll be adding a second viewing of Romulus as well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

Disney left a ton of money on the table by sending Prey and Hocus Pocus 2 straight to streaming. 

No, Disney+ was the right home for both. Prey was coming off of the despised Shane Black Predator movie that flopped back in its day, and would, at least in my opinion, have similarly flopped had it been released in theaters. Last year showed plenty of examples as to how poisonous a bad movie can be to a franchise.

And Hocus Pocus 2 would've suffered a similar problem to Twisters. It could have performed decently enough in America, but it most likely would've tanked overseas. No one outside the States has even heard of the original Hocus Pocus. In a marketplace where overseas revenue is pivotal, I doubt Disney would be happy with Hocus Pocus 2 making mere pennies there.

Some movies fit in small screens, and some belong on the big screen. That's just how it is.

• Knock It Off 1

15 hours ago, Eric Ripley said:

I had Moana doing somewhere in the 300s, and I think it’s more likely than people care to admit. And I think something like 360M or whatever would still be super impressive and incredibly good, though I know people will whine about how “IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BIGGER”. But on the other hand, the buzz and excitement seems pretty palatable looking at Quorum metrics, social media, the popularity of that first movie, etc. Just seems like we’re in for a Shrek to Shrek 2-style bump, and that would take us to 410M, so might as well go just a wee bit higher. But again, I think the 300s would still be great for it.

$300-399M range would be pretty disappointing, tbh