Eric Prime

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This Twisters increase probably gonna help it hold on to more theaters when Beetlejuice opens. Would be cool if it could somehow hold strong and surpass Dune, but $270mil would still be a very good domestic finish. Hopefully Uni sees that as enough to make up for the dreadful international performance.

Honestly, if we're gonna consider Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes a success despite not passing $400M worldwide and having almost the exact same budget ($160M), why shouldn't we consider Twisters a success when it'll make almost the exact same amount as that film. 

I could be wrong, but I don't really buy that when Universal and Warner Bros. greenlit Twisters that they expected this to launch a whole franchise. It was definitely an IP play, but not something that would launch this whole disaster movie franchise. Compare that to Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, which I think Disney and 20th Century were hoping could be the start of a new Apes trilogy. 

Unlike a lot of other people, I'm looking at Twisters as a one-and-done type of movie and in that case, I would classify it as a relative success. Never mind the fact that it's a co-production and neither Universal or Warner Bros. probably had a 100% stake in the budget. Even if money is lost on this film because of the poor international returns, it won't be a lot and it should make up the difference in PVOD sales and more revenue streams. 

What Universal should take from this is not to make another Twisters movie, but to make more films geared towards middle America audiences and more old-fashioned summer blockbusters (disaster movies) that aren't tied to a decades old IP. Clearly the audience is there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

There were those of us who insisted Aquaman was going to dominate on Day One by that very logic.

But make no mistake. There was very much a loud campaign saying how Mary Poppins Returns was going to easily win that Christmas.

Mufasa just doesn't have goodwill after how audiences were disappointed by The Lion King, which made it's killer grosses off sheer nostalgia and the goodwill from Fav's The Jungle Book.

This is absolutely going to pay for that with considerably lower numbers.

Disappointed? It has an A CinemaScore and had good legs. Sheer nostalgia alone isn’t going to get you 1.6B at the box office.

Mary Poppins isn’t the Lion King. 

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Oppenheimer of 2024 is here. There Will Be Blood, Once Upon a Time in America, Godfather level great. Some even say it's what Coppola wanted to tell but couldn't help himself in Megalopolis.

With Anora, American cinema this year is really in the peak of modern days. Make the American Cinema Great Again.

Brady Corbet has come so far from holding leading man duties as a kid in this bomb that just celebrated its 20th anniversary:

Thunderbirds (2004) - IMDb

Fantastic overseas week for D&W, around $24 million, and the actuals are usually a million higher.

Foreign total: $658,400,000

Worldwide total: $1,257,925,117 worldwide total and that's without the domestic monday. Black Panther is going down.

Edited by The Dark Samurai
  • Like 2

1. The Last Jedi

2. Avengers: Endgame

3 Avatar: Way of Water

4. Incredibles 2

5. Top Gun: Maverick

6. Black Panther

7. Titanic

8. Avengers: Infinity War

9. Barbie

10. Inside Out 2

11. Avengers

12. Deadpool and Wolverine

13. Avatar

14. The Force Awakens

15. No Way Home

16. Jurassic World

• Disbelief 1

17 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Honestly, if we're gonna consider Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes a success despite not passing $400M worldwide and having almost the exact same budget ($160M), why shouldn't we consider Twisters a success when it'll make almost the exact same amount as that film. 

I could be wrong, but I don't really buy that when Universal and Warner Bros. greenlit Twisters that they expected this to launch a whole franchise. It was definitely an IP play, but not something that would launch this whole disaster movie franchise. Compare that to Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, which I think Disney and 20th Century were hoping could be the start of a new Apes trilogy. 

Unlike a lot of other people, I'm looking at Twisters as a one-and-done type of movie and in that case, I would classify it as a relative success. Never mind the fact that it's a co-production and neither Universal or Warner Bros. probably had a 100% stake in the budget. Even if money is lost on this film because of the poor international returns, it won't be a lot and it should make up the difference in PVOD sales and more revenue streams. 

What Universal should take from this is not to make another Twisters movie, but to make more films geared towards middle America audiences and more old-fashioned summer blockbusters (disaster movies) that aren't tied to a decades old IP. Clearly the audience is there. 

The chances of a sequel to Twisters seem low anyway because of cast availability. Powell in particular is obviously booked for the foreseeable future between movie projects and his Hulu show that he's filming right now (which isn't being touted as a limited series, so if it takes off that will also be keeping him busy).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Oppenheimer of 2024 is here. There Will Be Blood, Once Upon a Time in America, Godfather level great. Some even say it's what Coppola wanted to tell but couldn't help himself in Megalopolis.

With Anora, American cinema this year is really in the peak of modern days. Make the American Cinema Great Again.

We are amazingly back. 

• Astonished 1

As my pal Scott said on his podcast, if Universal really thinks WBD is entirely to blame for Twisters' overseas wet-fart #s... then greenlight that sequel and take it all on alone.

Then we'll see how they do... up there... without all the assistance!