Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

I feel like one of the biggest mistakes for this franchise recently was not doing a Bumblebee sequel with everyone returning, in front and behind the camera.

That movie was so well received, was very well budgeted, successful and had everything for a big sequel bump. But...Hasbro or Paramount missed the early Bay numbers.

Made a generic ass Rise of the Beasts that cost more, worse and made less than Bumblebee but they want a sequel for it? A crossover with Nobody Joe? Bruh. Detransform out of my face.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So Transformers One is basically LEGO Ninjago adjusted for inflation. Cool.

Now let’s see Wild Robot be another Home for Dreamworks.

Nah. Let it be another How to Train Your Dragon. We're in a position where there are now two Chris Sanders Dreamworks movies opening at the end of a month, and releasing just a couple weeks after a record-breaking Tim Burton movie. Wouldn't it be funny if it went like Mr. Lucas once said? Where it's like poetry? It rhymes?

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Nah. Let it be another How to Train Your Dragon. We're in a position where there are now two Chris Sanders Dreamworks movies opening at the end of a month, and releasing just a couple weeks after a record-breaking Tim Burton movie. Wouldn't it be funny if it went like Mr. Lucas once said? Where it's like poetry? It rhymes?

Alice in Wonderland & the first HTTYD back in March 2010. 👩🏻‍💼💁🏻‍♀️😉

Transformers One Bows To $39M Global Box Office (deadline.com)

Paramount/Hasbro Entertainment’s Transformers One is out of the gate with a $39M global start. From just 50 international box office markets (representing only 40% of the overseas footprint), the first animated Transformers movie in close to 40 years grossed $14M.

The Josh Cooley-directed origins story came in below projections domestically and international is off to a softer start than hoped. 

While there are still major markets to come including Brazil, Italy, Korea, China, Germany, UK and France, it’s still a bit of a head-scratcher that the offshore opening wasn’t bigger given reviews, word of mouth and how much perceived anticipation there has been for the movie. A work-in-progress screening at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival had the room on its feet in June. However, we are hearing about general softness in the marketplace — and the back-to-school period can be a tricky one. The hope here is that folks will discover the $75M production as we roll along. 

Overall, on a like-for-like basis including previews, the international result is 3% below The LEGO Batman Movie and 16% below Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse for the same markets in release.

Also new this session, Universal began staggered international release on DreamWorks Animation’s The Wild Robot, with eight markets grossing $6.9M, including $4M from China. Excluding China, the performance is in line with Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, and above Migration, Elemental and The Bad Guys.

China was the top opener with $4M and a 9.6 on both Maoyan and TPP, the best scores ever for the studio on any of its titles in the market. 

In Australia, Wild Robot took advantage of staggered school holidays for a $2M start including $800K from previews and at No.1 in the market. Reviews and audience reactions have been outstanding.

Malaysia opened to $400K including previews, in line with Puss 2 and above Trolls and Migration. Norway opened a week before the rolling fall school break with $200K at No.1. This is above Bad Guys and well above Puss 2 and Migration excluding previews.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Glad The Substance ended up over 3M.

Imo It’s a great opening and one nobody was even expecting a week ago to be disappointed. 

Now curious about the legs, WOM is great.

If The Substance can get to at least $10M, I'll be a happy man. 

• Like 1

I’m wondering how The Wild Robot will do. I’m going to be honest, I think it only opens 10m higher than Transformers One. 35m DOM opening. And I think it’s going to do The Bad Guys numbers worldwide. 250m WW. Original animation other than Elemental has been stuck in the 250-300m range for a while. Wish, the Garfield Movie, Encanto, The Bad Guys, etc. 

13 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Original animation other than Elemental has been stuck in the 250-300m range for a while.

They are until they aren't. Honestly if there's any hope to get out of it, it surely ought to come from the most critically acclaimed mainstream theatrical release since Inside Out 1 with a month and half free of new competition.

Edited by AniNate

Honestly speaking of China, I’m weirdly interested in TFOne. According to Maoyan, it’s the 6th most anticipated movie right now, 4th if you neglect Unseen Sister and Venom, which both come out in late October. 

I mean hell, its box office in China is already 3.2 million dollars, and it’s only been in pre-screenings. 

20 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I’m wondering how The Wild Robot will do. I’m going to be honest, I think it only opens 10m higher than Transformers One. 35m DOM opening. And I think it’s going to do The Bad Guys numbers worldwide. 250m WW. Original animation other than Elemental has been stuck in the 250-300m range for a while. Wish, the Garfield Movie, Encanto, The Bad Guys, etc. 

Your point sort of stands but The Wild Robot isn’t original, it’s based off a popular book series like The Bad Guys. And Garfield is an IP film as well. Original is Wish, Encanto, Migration, Elemental, etc.

If you just mean “non-sequel animated film” then yeah, Elemental is the only to break 300M WW in years. But even though The Wild Robot isn’t original or a sequel I think it can break 300M.