tommycruise

Will these directors ever recover?

So first off I am going to start off with one of the biggest director question marks in cinema.M. Night Shyamalan....like really what happened to him?He went from directing Movies like the Sixth Sense(which was the second highest grossing movie of 1999, and would have been the highest grossing if it had either come out in 98, or 2000) Unbreakable, and Signs to movies like the Happening, and The Last Airbender. Most people think he will never recover but is there a possibility of him recovering, commercially and critically? Looks like we will have to wait till next year...Wolfgang Petersen- Known for directing Das Boot, a critical hit and In the Line of Fire, and Air Force One, both of which were big hits in the 90's but ever since The perfect storm his movies have not fared so well, PS broke even while Troy did decent numbers and average reviews but Poseidon was huge critical and commericial failure, and since then he has not directed any movies. So do you think he will ever direct any more movies and if he does will they be commercially and critically successful?Robert Zemeckis- This guy went from directing huge box office hits to films that can not even double their budget, Back to the Future, Forrest gump, and Cast Away were all huge hits, but since Cast Away he has directed many big budget failures such as Polar Express, Beowulf and Christmas Carol all of which had budgets over 150m. He hasn't directed a movie since 2009 but he has an upcoming film in 2013, so do you think it might recover his career or will it be just another big dissapointment?And you can talk about other directors too, like oliver stone if you want....

I don't see much hope for Shyamalan. He has his head completely up his ass and doesn't seem to be willing to admit when he makes a mistake. That's the first thing you've got to do if you hope to resurrect your career.I think Petersen still has it in him if he finds the right project. Zemeckis just needs to get away from motion capture. I hoped Disney finally shutting down his studio would lead to that but for God knows what reason Universal decided to bail him out.

• Like 1

Oliver Stone, my God, no one has gone more off the deep end than him. In the 80s/early 90s he was constantly knocking them out of the park and now it's been about 17 years since he's made a film that wasn't a total piece of shit. The Savages doesn't exactly look great either.

Oliver Stone, my God, no one has gone more off the deep end than him. In the 80s/early 90s he was constantly knocking them out of the park and now it's been about 17 years since he's made a film that wasn't a total piece of shit. The Savages doesn't exactly look great either.

How bad is Alexander? I never saw it.

Alexander is terrible. I'm not sure which cut I saw but I left after a hour and a half or something. So boring, no sense of urgency or care or anything.I recently saw World Trade Centre...awful as well. Then again the only film I have seen is JFK which I just love. Just top class. Love the cinematography and the acting.

It's a total mess, but the kind of fascinating total mess that you could watch more than once imo. Colin Farrell is hilariously bad. Angie is the only good thing in it.

Really? I thought she got a lot of shit for that film over her accent or something... I did hear Colin Farrell is terrible though, and I think he himself recently admitted that the fallout from that film almost made him quit acting.And what about Troy? Is that generally disliked//got bad reviews? I love that movie, it's one of my all time favorites... It's just epic IMO.

Really? I thought she got a lot of shit for that film over her accent or something... I did hear Colin Farrell is terrible though, and I think he himself recently admitted that the fallout from that film almost made him quit acting.And what about Troy? Is that generally disliked//got bad reviews? I love that movie, it's one of my all time favorites... It's just epic IMO.

Really? Hmm, I remember liking her. It's been a while since I watched it though.And yeah Troy's pretty good, reviews are decent though. Isn't it in 60s/70s on RT? Never been bothered to look it up. Edited by CoolioD1

Really? Hmm, I remember liking her. It's been a while since I watched it though.And yeah Try's pretty good, reviews are decent though. Isn't it in 60s/70s on RT? Never been bothered to look it up.

It's RT score is either 55 or 56% last time I looked it up.

Well here's an interesting tidbit about Alexander I just pulled off its wiki page:

In the commentary it is explained that Val Kilmer and other cast members deliberately use an Irish accent as Colin Farrell was unable to lose his, with Irish accents being used as a stand in for a Greek accent.

That is just... wow :blink:

And what about Troy? Is that generally disliked//got bad reviews? I love that movie, it's one of my all time favorites... It's just epic IMO.

Troy got a 55% at RT, a 56 at Metacritic, and a 7/10 IMDB rating.It's a solid, entertaining movie. I think Pitt was miscast as Achilles, but he's fine enough. Bloom's kinda wooden (as usual) but Eric Bana killed it in the film. Supporting cast is strong too. The film really just needed a bit better casting/acting for 2 of the 3 leads and better dialogue. I'll let the deviations from the actual mythology slide.

Well here's an interesting tidbit about Alexander I just pulled off its wiki page:

In the commentary it is explained that Val Kilmer and other cast members deliberately use an Irish accent as Colin Farrell was unable to lose his, with Irish accents being used as a stand in for a Greek accent.

:lol: :lol: Edited by tribefan695

Yeah, I heard about this. I seriously don't get why you wouldn't just hire someone else instead of making the rest of the cast adjust.

Another one is Rob Reiner, he directed movies like Princess Bride, A few Good Men, when Harry met sally, and misery, all of which were critical successes, and all were commercial successes except for PB, but the last commercially successful film he directed, Bucket List, received mixed/average reviews, so he certainly hasn't been at the top of his game for a while.