tommycruise

Will these directors ever recover?

Horner's score for Troy is one of his worst. He wrote in 4 weeks as a last-minute replacement and it shows because A LOT of the score is simply a derivative reworking either of previous scores he composed or of noteworthy modern classical music pieces.

What makes it worse is that Yared's rejected score is one of the best scores I've heard. Incredible stuff. The way Horner trashed it is laughable, then again he's always been quite a douche.

He just shoves phrases of classical music into his scores, without giving the original composer any credit whatsoever. When he's called up about it he claims that he never copies anything and says he has a 'bad memory'.Regarding Troy, he went on a bitter assault on Yared's rejected score, which is an incredible piece of work. He blasted the entire thing which is rude in itself, then he blasted the director for not hiring him in he first place. He's just unbearably cocky. He also went on about how his work is too intelligent for blockbusters and how he doesn't want to do them a little while ago. Then he signed for TASM so he's a hypocrite too.

Horner up to the mid-90s was brilliant, but his work of the past 10-15 years has a lot of casual repetitions and self-plagirizing.http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQd5ueBM5Yk&feature=related

Edited by 4815162342

Shyamalan has no hope. He could've retired after The Happening and still be respected as a modern-day Ed Wood who stood loyal to his wholly-original cinematic convictions... but, well, he went and made Airbender. After Earth marketing will milk Will Smith for all he's worth.Wolfgang Peterson can easily return at any time, I don't see anything embarrassing about Poseidon. Likewise with Zemeckis and his mo-cap experiments.Someone mentioned Joel Schumacher which I think is an interesting question. I honestly believe he has one more great film in him before retirement (Trespass clearly wasn't it).I'm curious about Andrew Stanton after the box office/press fiasco that was John Carter. He can easily go back to making acclaimed Pixar films but the shadow of Carter will still loom over him. Such a shame, his heart was in the right place and the finished product was perfectly watchable.

Edited by Raddish

John CarpenterJohn McTiernanRichard KellyAtom Egoyan

John Carpenter is one I would love to return to his prime... but unfortunately I think he is strictly a 70s/early 80s director. He was absolutely perfect for that time in history. It just seemed he couldn't evolve with the times. Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing.... that was a hell of a streak. Immediate cult classics from day 1. But then he gradually lost steam with Christine, Starman. Big Trouble in Little China is classic 80s but he was on the decline by then. I wish he could give us something as iconic for these times as he did back then.