tommycruise

Will these directors ever recover?

Yeah, I heard about this. I seriously don't get why you wouldn't just hire someone else instead of making the rest of the cast adjust.

Actually, I heard the Irish accents were to set the Macedonians off from the Greeks (who had British accents in the film). Basically a subtle way to indicate that the Macedonians were considered the wilder, more "uncultured" group.Regardless, it wasn't a very good movie.TROY is... okay. It doesn't hit any great notes and it kind of dodges away from anything remotely interesting or challenging. And, of course, I think it's (mostly) a terrible idea to avoid the mythology. But it's not terrible and Pitt does a good job.

Ridley Scott has been very hit or miss this past decade. Hopefully Prometheus is one of the hits. The Farrelly brothers haven't had a good movie in ages. Neither has Michael Bay, actually. M. Night will find some success in After Earth, because it's the first of his movies that he isn't writing, but it won't be a return to form or anything.

the Rock... terrible so actually Transformers is better.

Blasphemy.Also, I agree that both Peter Weir (though The Way Back was pretty good) and Wolfgang Petersen should be given another chance. I was pissed when I heard Wolfgang was replaced by goddamn Gavin Hood as the director of Ender's Game. (though perhaps his involvement was only a rumor, I'm not sure)I also have fond memories of early movies of directors such as Walter Hill (The Driver, Southern Comfort, The Warriors), John Boorman (Zardoz! Excalibur! Deliverance!) or John Milius (wrote Apocalypse Now and some episodes of Rome, directed first Conan and Red Dawn) but I doubt they'll ever get a chance to flourish again, except maybe for Walter who's just done Bullet to the Head. Edited by Bitcher

Horner's score for Troy is one of his worst. He wrote in 4 weeks as a last-minute replacement and it shows because A LOT of the score is simply a derivative reworking either of previous scores he composed or of noteworthy modern classical music pieces.

• Like 1

I'd put Cameron Crowe up for this discussion. While We Bought a Zoo was an enjoyable movie despite its unevenness, we're talking about the man who once cranked out Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous. I think he could make another movie as great as those ones, but it's hard to say how, especially when the moves of writing from the heart (Elizabethtown, which was a mess despite its good intentions) and going outside the box (Vanilla Sky, which basically split audiences right down the middle; personally, I wasn't quite on board with it) are what knocked him off the pedestal he was on after picking up an Oscar for Almost Famous.

I watched it one time on one of the movie channels and don't want to ever see it again. Long movies take patience to begin with, never mind long movies that suck.

I watched it on tv one too and it had the worst jump cut editing I have ever seen, one second they are in the city and its all loud cause they are partying and the next second it cuts to Brad Pitt in complete silence.

Walter Hill's done some TV work over the years -- Deadwood and other westerns.Peter Weir just takes a while between projects, not only because he chooses carefully, but also because he's very involved with the development, and tends to avoid studios at this point because they interfere so much (or, to be fair, tend to have different goals than him). But MASTER & COMMANDER is one of the very best literate, thoughtful epics in many years. I didn't feel THE WAY BACK completely worked, but it was certainly an interesting project and worth watching.Carpenter's in semi-retirement now, although he's done some "Masters of Horror" TV work.I don't know if Richard Kelly has anything to really return to. One film doesn't really make a career; he's basically done the crazy weird-out thing for three straight movies -- one worked, the other two didn't (although I sorta love SOUTHLAND TALES as a fucked-up train wreck quasi-masterpiece).

I don't see much hope for Shyamalan. He has his head completely up his ass and doesn't seem to be willing to admit when he makes a mistake. That's the first thing you've got to do if you hope to resurrect your career.I think Petersen still has it in him if he finds the right project.Zemeckis just needs to get away from motion capture. I hoped Disney finally shutting down his studio would lead to that but for God knows what reason Universal decided to bail him out.

tribefan695 pretty much summed up my thoughts.

I think M&C is a great movie, too bad it flopped, I think it had to do a lot with the release date, going up against LOTR was not a good choice, and I think it being in the same year as POTC(another movie on the high seas) also hurt it.Really unfortunate they won't make a sequel.