filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

2 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Wait I forgot the Christopher Reeve documentary went wide this weekend. Guessing the numbers aren't high on that either?

Probably not reporting them by choice since it seems like a glorified Fathom Events run that allows it to qualify for awards.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Inside Out 2 is only 400k away from beating Jurassic Worlds total. I bet an Oscars re-release or double feature with Moana 2 will do the trick. Unless a re-release just bombs

There likely wont be a re-release. And double features (normally) only happen if both movies are out in theaters which in Inside Out 2's case woudnt be the case anymore when Moana releases.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wattage said:

It means that the natural drop it would have from it being a Sunday and less nighttime attendance due to Monday morning being work/school would be slightly less so than a normal Sunday, 35% vs a 40% or something. That's the best it can hope for. 

This is going to the the case for the rest of the movies out too. I didn't say anything about more people wanting to see it. It's dead. Sub 7 is extra pathetic though so if they want to save what little face they have left, the holiday is the only chance they have. 

Monday is a holiday? lol which one? W don’t get work or school off out West 🤷🏻‍♂️

19 hours ago, wattage said:

I need more Penguin viewership numbers so I'll take it! Everyone who saw the whole show early said this episode is supposed to be a big one so I'm excited.

If they report 7 flat tomorrow don't be surprised though! They did some wishful thinking last week on that drop so let's see. 

Told you lol. But I wasn't thinking about Beetlejuice in this equation but the natural conclusion from the fudging to 7 I was talking about was going to have to be that it landed above Beetlejuice. I wonder if they fudged both numbers and not just Beetlejuice. 

I also wonder when they'll get tired of misreporting numbers to save their egos. Next weekend? When Venom drops? 

4 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Monday is a holiday? lol which one? W don’t get work or school off out West 🤷🏻‍♂️

Indigenous Peoples day, formerly Columbus Day (glad they changed the name). Majority of schools get off that day, and some jobs since it's a federal holiday. 

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

I think it's clear at this point that TWR is playing to more of an adult audience than prior fall season animation comps. It's having better weekdays and less pronounced Saturday bumps.

That's part of it, not quite explaining why BB and Transformers had weaker jumps than usual though. I was surprised to see BB and Transformers in the 50s they're usually in the 60s or 70s. Not really sweating over it though since the weekend itself still is holding strong for all of them per estimates. Business might be shifting around due to the holiday Monday, or it's just one of those days where the numbers are what they are and we move on. 

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The weekend drop estimates overall are pretty reasonable if not still quite good, at least for all those movies.

This was the Saturday box office for the last Indigenous Day weekend, the bumps were similarly muted

Domestic Box Office For Oct 7, 2023 - Box Office Mojo

Interesting numbers for last year, Paw Patrol was really doing good business I forgot about that. To your other point, everything looks good this weekend and reasonable besides the Joker fudging happening for Sunday. A 30% Sunday drop...lol.

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE was rereleased in China this weekend and earned 6.6M. The worldwide total is now 1.031M. The movie jumps from rank 52nd to 49th worldwide, passing ALICE IN WONDERLAND, ZOOTOPIA, and FINDING DORY in the process.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1