Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

I still think Sunday will be high 40s putting it at mid 190s, hard to fudge from there to 200m worth actuals on Monday. So bleeping insane this is happening in 2012 too

It's possible

SATURDAY 10:15 PM… REFRESH FOR LATEST… It’s now official — Marvel’s The Avengers is a monster worldwide hit for Disney attracting a four-quadrant audience in 2D, Digital 3D, RealD, and IMAX 3D. My sources say in North America whaat’s billed as the ‘Superhero Team-Up Of A Lifetime’ is looking at a record $68+M for Saturday after making $80.5M Friday (including $18.7M midnights) from 4,349 U.S. and Canadian locations, including 3,364 plays in 3D. It’s still on track to shatter the domestic weekend opening record with $185+M. (Warner Bros’ 3D Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 finale used to hold that record with $169M.) Disney will report international numbers on Sunday but the worldwide total is already $575+M after playing almost everywhere around the globe for the past 10 days including Russia and now China. I can tell you that Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) went to the Beijing Film Festival to help introduce the film. One more thing to keep in mind: Avengers still has a massive foreign number without opening yet in the major market of Japan. Refined numbers in the morning

Can someone explain the X2 love to me? I found it to be barely adequate.

Well, for me, I read all of the Chris Claremont X-Men's when I was a kid and it felt like those stories came alive for me watching that film. I'm instantly transported to my childhood when I watch that movie, and isn't that what these films are supposed to do?

Exactly. It's an F if I was grading on a curve like you, But I don't do that. I judge all films on their own merits. Even though SM3 completely screws up the continuity and seems like it wasn't even directed by Raimi, it's still entertaining and had just enough faithful scenes from some of my favorite comics to make it pretty watchable for me. I'd watch it for the Birth of Sandman and Church scenes alone.

Backlash is inevitable for that reason. It goes with the territory, you know that.

Can we just rename this thread The Avengers box office thread?

No this is the weekend numbers threadIt's just that only one movie matters this weekend :lol:

If TA hits 200M, do y'all realize how unprecedented that would be?? I remember years of threads started by people asking if they would ever see the magical "200M OW" Most said not for another few years or even if current theaters could hold the capacity of that many people in 3 days. I know 3D is boosting these numbers, but still. My jaw will drop if I wake up in the morning and see that kind of a number.

• Like 1