Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

With all this walk-up business, hopefully the spillover will mean good business for The Hunger Games. Maybe it will have a better than expected hold. Here's hoping :cloud9:

That's what I'm counting on! Keeping my fingers crossed for a sub-40% drop. It was headed for -25% anyway, so take away an additional 10-15% due to TA and I can live with it.

It is interesting, when OW records fall, we usually know by Friday. After DH2's 91m Friday, the OW record was inevitable. The only time I can remember the OW record being just slightly broken was 1989, when Ghostbusters 2 broke Last Crusade's record from just two weeks before by a scant $117,873...then Batman completely obliterated the record another two weeks after that. But since then, when the OW record falls, it usually falls hard(TDK beating SM3 by 7m was the closest we've seen). So, I don't think this bodes well if these numbers being reported are close.

That's what I'm counting on! Keeping my fingers crossed for a sub-40% drop. It was headed for -25% anyway, so take away an additional 10-15% due to TA and I can live with it.

I hope not for my BSG's sake.

@giteshpandya

Sources telling me #Avengers heading to about $68M FRI, +33% vs IronMan2. $150M+ wknd, possible $160M.

Sounds about right with all the early numbers from before. Still a good weekend but still disappointing with all the OW record talk and threads going around.

If that 68M figure holds, this is heading for basically IM2 admissions over the weekend.If the 3D share is high enough, it may be lower than IM2 admissions

Edited by spizzer

This makes me seriously wonder if all of these separate reports are coming from the same "sources"...

They are. It's just Disney's extrapolation of the full day business, based on estimates from East Coast matinees.

If that 68M figure holds, this is heading for basically IM2 admissions over the weekend.If the 3D share is high enough, it may be lower than IM2 admissions

That would be astoundingly underwhelming for me.
  • Like 1

Sounds about right with all the early numbers from before. Still a good weekend but still disappointing with all the OW record talk and threads going around.

That's why I was cautioning everyone not to go overboard.OW record was always less likely than not.
  • Like 1