CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

Yeah, it really shows what for amazing great WOM titanic had. I don't think that we ever get a 20x multiplier ever again. Not in these times.

Nothing shows the drop in multipliers more than blockbuster superhero films, IMO.

Superman 17.98(Did have an expansion +holiday boost but so did Titanic)

Batman 6.17

Spider-Man 3.52

TDK 3.37

If TA matches TDK's multiplier exactly, it will make 698.4m

• Founder / Operator

Going forward, The Avengers will be given its own daily threads. At the start of the next day's thread, the previous one will be closed. At the end of each week, all threads will be merged into one (one thread for Weekdays and one thread for the Weekend).

For example, once the first Friday thread has been made then all Mon-Thu numbers threads will be merged, locked, and archived by a Moderator or Junior Admin.

Single threads for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (Wknd Estimates) will exist. However, estimates and actuals should go in the Sunday thread. So basically that's three new topics for each weekend. When the first Monday numbers thread has been made, a Mod or Junior Admin will merge and lock the weekend topics.

This may apply for all other releases/days/weeks as well, but that's not for sure yet.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask a staff member. :)

Edited by ShawnMR

Yeah, it really shows what for amazing slow WOM titanic had. I don't think that we ever get a 20x multiplier ever again. Not in these times.

Fixed that for you. Yes, Titanic had great WOM. But most importantly, WOM traveled slowly in those days. In this day and age with things like Facebook, etc., WOM is much more compressed and concentrated.

Because it sold lots of tickets? In fact only two other movies are ahead of it since TPM.

That's why it looks so suspicious. First the subject of tickets sold is raised...then the name of a movie that is not the standard for tickets sold is mentioned? The connection really isn't there.

You look at that chart and even with knowing what happens, there seems no way in hell that Titanic will overtake THG or Spiderman let alone TDK.

Would be interested in seeing an expanded out version of exactly what point Titanic began to refuse to die like the other films do.

Same thing I looked at. Titanic was magical.

Nothing shows the drop in multipliers more than blockbuster superhero films, IMO.

Superman 17.98(Did have an expansion +holiday boost but so did Titanic)

Batman 6.17

Spider-Man 3.52

TDK 3.37

If TA matches TDK's multiplier exactly, it will make 698.4m

From that info, one would assume the multiplier would continue to fall. So...goodbye 700 million?

Titanic also had a mega hit soundtrack that coincided with the movie. The soundtrack and the movie was number one forever.It was a phenomenon.

Oh yeah...that's true. That song was EVERYWHERE. It was like a multimedia blitz.

Titanic also had a mega hit soundtrack that coincided with the movie. The soundtrack and the movie was number one forever.It was a phenomenon.

I don't think words can describe just how enormous the soundtrack helped make the film the phenomenon it was.
  • Like 1

Fixed that for you. Yes, Titanic had great WOM. But most importantly, WOM traveled slowly in those days. In this day and age with things like Facebook, etc., WOM is much more compressed and concentrated.

LOL! I have to laugh a bit because the way you wrote that made it seem like the 90's were some "dark ages". :) The first WOM I heard about this came from a mass e-mailing via a coworker. Not exactly the definition of "traveled slowly". And there were numerous online forums back then where people discussed movies. In fact, some of the first box office games I played were in the 90's (on sites like "Mr. Showbiz" - anyone else remember that?).So I would say, "compared to today" it traveled more slowly. But even Howard Stern was talking about that movie - and he has a HUGE audience. So the WOM was through many media outlets. The difference is that we have more online outlets now than then and more people are online now compared to then.

LOL! I have to laugh a bit because the way you wrote that made it seem like the 90's were some "dark ages". :)The first WOM I heard about this came from a mass e-mailing via a coworker. Not exactly the definition of "traveled slowly". And there were numerous online forums back then where people discussed movies. In fact, some of the first box office games I played were in the 90's (on sites like "Mr. Showbiz" - anyone else remember that?).So I would say, "compared to today" it traveled more slowly. But even Howard Stern was talking about that movie - and he has a HUGE audience. So the WOM was through many media outlets. The difference is that we have more online outlets now than then and more people are online now compared to then.

Well it traveled slowly because most people didn't have internect access like now. Access is everywhere, home computers, phones, tablets. Not to mention Twitter and facebook where people tweet straight from the theater.

LOL! I have to laugh a bit because the way you wrote that made it seem like the 90's were some "dark ages". :) The first WOM I heard about this came from a mass e-mailing via a coworker. Not exactly the definition of "traveled slowly". And there were numerous online forums back then where people discussed movies. In fact, some of the first box office games I played were in the 90's (on sites like "Mr. Showbiz" - anyone else remember that?).So I would say, "compared to today" it traveled more slowly. But even Howard Stern was talking about that movie - and he has a HUGE audience. So the WOM was through many media outlets. The difference is that we have more online outlets now than then and more people are online now compared to then.

Haha. I had used Netscape 1.0 and even NCSA Mosaic, briefly. Those were the days. Yes, the social Internet existed back then (ahem, Usenet), but people who used it were a small minority of the population. It didn't have nearly the kind of prevalence that it has today. And media exposure is no substitute for hearing it from your friends and family (e.g., all those Dark Shadows ads, interviews, talk show appearances apparently didn't matter much). Edited by Crake

Haha. I had used Netscape 1.0 and even NCSA Mosaic, briefly. Social media existed back then (ahem, Usenet), but people who used it were a small minority of the population. It didn't have nearly the kind of prevalence that it has today. And media exposure is no substitute for hearing it from your friends and family (e.g., all those Dark Shadows ads, interviews, talk show appearances apparently didn't matter much).

Wow, all we had back then were some tin cans and string. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.
  • Like 1

From that info, one would assume the multiplier would continue to fall. So...goodbye 700 million?

I think that would be a logical assumption, yes. IM1's multiplier is doable though. 3.23 would bring TA to 670m and past Titanic into the #2 slot. That would be amazing. Still think we're looking at 600-650m since TA has been slightly behind IM1's pattern so far.

I don't think THG is going to reach 400. at the 40 day mark Spiderman 1 began pulling away and reached a gap of 5 million by 50 day period

I think it has a fair chance. A naive, blind projection of 30% drops each week puts it at 399.9M. If it gets close enough, LGF will probably do a re-expansion in the fall to push it through.In other news, the few actuals that have come in have all been higher than the weekend estimates.