CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

If you can't tell by now that THE AVENGERS stands next to other gigantic blockbuster movies like STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES by now, it's hopeless.Placing Transformers in the same sentence of these movies is blasphemy.

Edited by iJackSparrow

Dodson, I don't need your stupid ass opinion to tell me what's a good movie and what isn't. You sound like a complete fuck twat defending Titanic. Kiss my ass you ---- loser.

Good lord. That is fucking hateful.

I could never see what people saw in it from any of the trailers. It just looked weird and not in a good way. Only Joss Whedon can do vampires.

In addition to the LTROI mention, the remake was also excellent. Let Me In. It was my favorite movie of 2010. (I liked it better than the original) Thirst was also mentioned and is excellent. Unfortunately, those movies (Let Me In, Let the Right One In, Thirst) did very low numbers at the box office while the Twilight movies make massive monies. Maybe Whedon should take another stab at it.

Yeah Hulk was way to big in that scene. I didn't like the way his size changed depending how angry he was although again that may be correct to he comics, i don't know.

That "growing Hulk" was all Ang Lee. The comic version is big (7-10 feet)...but he doesn't keep getting bigger.

Posted Image

If Friday does end up just short of 30 million, I blame the big rain storm in Dallas/Ft Worth last night. I remember thinking, "A lot of people are going to put off going to the movies tonight".

As long as TDKR is the better film which I think it will be

Avengers can take the money. TDKR can be a great film and make a fantastic trilogy.

Box office numbers are the only "facts" though. How good a movie (or any art) is 100% the opinion of each individual. Choose 100 people and have them make a list of "the best movies of 2011" and see if even two lists are the same. But we know for a fact which movies made the most money.

Avengers is a straight up popcorn flick. It's like Transformers, but with better characters and better actors. And, that's why it's dong so well. Audiences like there straight up popcorn films.

Me too. I would guess that a good percentage of my all time favorite movies are popcorn flicks. Why anyone would think that is an insult is beyond me. Avengers is in good company with other "popcorn flicks" with no "substance" like Back to the Future, Aliens, T2, Jurassic Park, Star Wars (OT), Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, ect. Being a great popcorn flick is a huge compliment.
  • Like 1

You are right about it. I don't think I've ever seen a film that kids have been so crazy since well, I can't remember, Star Wars itself. Kids everywhere are wearing Avengers shirts and going crazy for these films. Kid-wise, Avengers is a phenomenon that only comes around once a decade or so.

Agreed Avengers is popular with kids. I also heard Avatar was big with kids.I am happy kids like Avengers it is a good film. Just imagine if kids were crazy about Battleship and that going to be a record breaker or the smurfs.

If you can't tell by now that THE AVENGERS stands next to other gigantic blockbuster movies like STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES by now, it's hopeless.Placing Transformers in the same sentence of these movies is blasphemy.

Yeah but Transformers trilogy still made a lot of money and Transformers 2 made 400m if was in 3D it been close 470m. Regardless people will remember transformers. Transformer films have seen a black slash like Pirates 2 or Spider Man has.

You are right about it. I don't think I've ever seen a film that kids have been so crazy since well, I can't remember, Star Wars itself. Kids everywhere are wearing Avengers shirts and going crazy for these films. Kid-wise, Avengers is a phenomenon that only comes around once a decade or so.

Even my 66 years old dad fell in love with The Avengers and said he hasn't saw nothing like that since Star Wars. I think people are not grasping how big of a phenomenon really is right now. The movie is clearly not only popular with kids, but among them is hors concours. I have never seen something quite like that, I can only imagine how it was when Star Wars happened and how quicky the detractors tried to dismiss it. If only we had message boards back then.
  • Like 1

Why hasn't it been removed already? He should be banned for that.

If it was a one time thing, I would disagree, but Filmbuff has been displaying a pattern of hateful and antagonistic attacks on people for the past couple months.. I think we're at the point he needs to be suspended.

That is an interesting question. I would like to think so. Maybe they'll gain new appreciation for the wittiness of the dialogue as they get older.

The reason for the question was, my brother's son has been going crazy over Hulk especially the rag doll scene and same from my co-workers as well. Kids absolutely love Hulk. Edited by druv10

I watched the Avengers and I was kind of disappointed. It's a good movie, but definitely doesn't deserve that big of numbers. It's mostly hype, it left me with the feeling that it was just " the latest comic superhero flick". Nothing special about it, but definitely the last 30 minutes were fun, but that's true to most action movies...

Yeah but Transformers trilogy still made a lot of money and Transformers 2 made 400m if was in 3D it been close 470m. Regardless people will remember transformers. Transformer films have seen a black slash like Pirates 2 or Spider Man has.

You are kidding yourself if you think Transformers will be remembered for more than bad fx and Megan Fox ass. There are a lot of movies that can rake in cash at the box office, not so many can gather a cult following monster like The Avengers was designed to and is achieving to become. Edited by iJackSparrow

Even my 66 years old dad fell in love with The Avengers and said he hasn't saw nothing like that since Star Wars. I think people are not grasping how big of a phenomenon really is right now. The movie is clearly not only popular with kids, but among them is hors concours. I have never seen something quite like that, I can only imagine how it was when Star Wars happened and how quicky the detractors tried to dismiss it. If only we had message boards back then.

Same here. I felt like a kid with the comic book coming to life.
  • Like 1

I watched the Avengers and I was kind of disappointed. It's a good movie, but definitely doesn't deserve that big of numbers. It's mostly hype, it left me with the feeling that it was just " the latest comic superhero flick". Nothing special about it, but definitely the last 30 minutes were fun, but that's true to most action movies...

It does deserve its numbers as thats what its got, same with any film, if people are wanting to pay to see it then it deserves its gross.
  • Like 3

You are kidding yourself if you think Transformers will be remembered for more than bad fx and Megan Fox ass. There are a lot of movies that can rake in cash at the box office, not so many can gather a cult following monster like The Avengers was designed to and is achieving to become.

Ironicly the film keeps getting compared to Transformers more than any other film. :D