Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

July 25th. Last territory in its run. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Who knows  :P  ... Maybe the Japanese will like the fat Godzilla on screen.

I know they were complaining about the size of Godzilla as if its a major issue. LOL.

Edited by Annayya

Who knows  :P  ... Maybe the Japanese will like the fat Godzilla on screen.

I know they were complaining about the size of Godzilla as if its a major issue. LOL.

The Japanese have earned the right to be picky with their 'zillas. He IS fat!

I think Godzilla will do pretty well, but it is a wild card.

>It's been a decade since the last film.

>Toho, the top distributor in Japan for 8-straight years and owners of Godzilla, was apart of the production team and will release it in Japan instead of Warner Bros..

>Prime release date (even with many big films being released right before/after it).

There are negatives of course, too.

>His "bulky" or "fat" appearance (and deeper roar) has caused a bit of a stir, but he at least looks like Godzilla.

>Hollywood's last attempt may still be fresh on the minds of many, causing many to stay away from this one.

>July/August is very crowded.  The Summer/Obon season can handle multiple blockbusters released at the same time without any problem, but if Godzilla doesn't open well enough then it'll be in a struggle to hold onto its screens/showtimes.

Isn't Godzilla a Japanese icon or part of culture? Doesn't that guarantee a big Japan opening (and drop like a rock afterwards as they'll be disappointed, just like in every market lol)? I just hope Maleficent will still go strong despite Godzilla.

No. Japan is sick of Godzilla apparently.

Only until Avatar 2 Debuts.. :P

That's not really likely, I'm afraid. For two reasons:

First, while Avatar had a very strong run in Japan, it wasn't groundbreaking by Japanese standards. It's not like Titanic's run, which was gigantically huge and set it as the biggest film of all time in the market. (Later beaten by Spirited Away, but still.) The Japanese liked Avatar, but they didn't apparently love it like other markets did.

Second, sequels do not seem to do especially well in Japan. If you look at the previous top lists, there are only two sequels on it: Harry Potter 2 and 3. Both of them had strong runs, but they declined in gross, and later HP films grossed even less. (all under 10 billion yen, I think.) It seems more likely that Avatar 2 will have a strong run but earn less than Avatar in Japan.

Which doesn't mean it won't do phenomenally well WW, just that this one market isn't one where you can expect it to beat or even match the original.

Saturday admissions in several Chains as of 3PM local time
[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 *45977 マレフィセント-----Maleficent
 *2 *13379 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・… Edge of Tomorrow
 *3 *12919 アナと雪の女王-----Frozen
 *4 **9555 超高速!参勤交代
 *5 **8440 それいけ!アンパンマン りん…
 *6 **4008 DOCUMENTARY of…
 *7 **3061 トランセンデンス
 *8 **3045 渇き。
 *9 **2515 ノア 約束の舟
 10 **2280 春を背負って

Sunday 15

.1 *61442 Maleficent

*2 *18636 Frozen

*3 *17677 Edge of Tomorrow

So thats an increase for all, if i'm not mistaken.

Posted Image

:wub: Much better...

I love both women, and I love the fact that they have both had leggy box office successes recently. Proves that beyond the whole “Team Aniston/Team Jolie” pettiness, audiences will support a film if it appeals to them, without factoring in gossip and crap. Having said that, I do think that Jennifer has better (actual) legs. :-)
  • Like 3