JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

TOHO Frozen vs Maleficent

Day 5

Frozen 43.281

Maleficent 31.742

Total

Frozen 257.028

Maleficent 184.757

I have a feeling the difference between them will start spreading apart at a geometric pace starting with this weekend. We all know how crazy Frozen's holds (increases!)  were in the first few weekends, even decent holds by Maleficent will look like crashes if compared to Frozen. Posted Image

• Like 1

I went to see it a few times after I got the video. Home viewing isn't the same as theatrical.

But 'people' refers to the general audience, and the general audience doesn't even know what cinematographic culture is.

But 'people' refers to the general audience, and the general audience doesn't even know what cinematographic culture is.

While Frozen is an outlier, in that it was playing extremely well in the US just prior to the video release (and the same in Japan), it's basically true that after the video release of any movie it will continue to get some theatrical business, if it's still playing in theaters.

It isn't the same. Frozen is still in the top 3 when it's this close to the DVD release date. Japanese obsession over Frozen is far more intense.

You're basically answering your own question as to why there are Japanese still going to see the movie in theaters even after the DVD release.

I meant at the box office, Maybe the edge of tomorrow goes down enough for forzen to take second place, I read that it is getting more screens. and edge of tomorrow and frozen werent too far either. so is it possible? or there is no way that forzen can make it even though it holds fantastic  :huh:

Actually, I think it is possible.Eot is fading away very quickly..

It is holding well...and this weekend its seats is also increasing..

Why does it get extra seats?

I mean, according to comparisons with Frozen so far it seems as if it's slightly decreasing instead of holding steady. Which I guess is normal, hardly fair to compare with Frozen in Japan!

Is it because all other movies are decreasing even more and there are no new ones arriving to fill up the cinemas for the moment?

Why the hell on earth did malf and EoT clashed at the BO?? both could hav released one week apart 

Studio Ghibli's next big movie is coming out on 7/19. Malf and Eot have their release dates there so they can have two full week to make as much as possible before Studio Ghibli's movie comes out. ;)

Why does it get extra seats?

I mean, according to comparisons with Frozen so far it seems as if it's slightly decreasing instead of holding steady. Which I guess is normal, hardly fair to compare with Frozen in Japan!

Is it because all other movies are decreasing even more and there are no new ones arriving to fill up the cinemas for the moment?

July 12-13 was mostly abandoned this year (only "Say, I Love You" will make an impact on the Top 10), with everyone deciding to release their film on July 19th or the beginning of August.  So films that did well last weekend were able to maintain their screens/showtimes or increase a bit this weekend.

Expect a lot of big screen/showtime decreases next week though with 5 wide openers, which includes When Marnie Was There (Ghibli), Pokemon, Kamen Rider, and Planes.  Next weekend will basically reboot the Top 10.  A lot of older films are already scheduled to leave cinemas on July 18th in preparation.  There's also several limited openers debuting next weekend, too.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

New Pokemon movie means another event distribution for game owners. Diancie this time!  :D (And Darkrai for pre-sale tickets, IIRC) Wonder how much of an impact those annual distributions boost movie ticket sales. The movies themselves have certainly gotten worse over the years... the stories just draagggggg. The Keldeo movie was awful. And last year's Genesect/Mewtwo film wasn't much of an improvement.

It's basically true that after the video release of any movie it will continue to get some theatrical business, if it's still playing in theaters.

So what? The business it keeps making is inconsistent and it usually comes from those who haven't bought the dvd (yet).

So what? The business it keeps making is inconsistent and it usually comes from those who haven't bought the dvd (yet).

The question was why would people go see a film after the DVD was released. The answer is because some people want to.

And, in contrast to the implication the original question had, this isn't something unique to Japan. Or women. Or Frozen. It happens with all movies, if they're still playing.

Edited by DamienRoc