Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

It's unhealthy to dwell in the past. I've already moved on to tracking Frozen's run at the record for most Blurays sold, it only has to beat Avatar now.

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

:o... That's a LOT of Blu-Rays sold in only 4 months.:D

I think it will beat Avatar Blu-rays sold by end of 2014.

Also, I don't recall ever seeing any Blu-ray on Amazon having over 10,000 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B00G5G7K7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405225661&sr=8-1&keywords=frozen+bluray

:o  :o  :o  I don't recall ever seeing ANYTHING on Amazon with nearly 10,000 reviews! (it's at 9,951 right now)

I think it will beat Avatar Blu-rays sold by end of 2014.

Also, I don't recall ever seeing any Blu-ray on Amazon having over 10,000 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B00G5G7K7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405225661&sr=8-1&keywords=frozen+bluray

I'm not sure how long ago this list was compiled, but there's nothing even close to 10,000 reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Reviewed-Items-Amazon-com/lm/R2T3W4O42W6US1

Does this meen that there will be an increase in box office next weekend or a very small decline ?

Its hard to predict Japanese box office and I have no clue on how summer holidays affect the older movies already in theaters.

Next Monday is a holiday.  The 2-day (Sat/Sun) will behave like normal, although I'm expecting some big drops for many holdovers given how many new films are being released, but Monday will be about as strong as either day.  

Weekend Estimates (07/12-13)

01 (01) ¥553 million ($5.4 million), -20%, ¥1.85 billion ($18.3 million), Maleficent (Disney) Week 2
02 (--) ¥220 million ($2.1 million), 0, ¥220 million ($2.1 million), Say, "I Love You" (Shochiku) DEBUT
03 (02) ¥184 million ($1.8 million), -29%, ¥860 million ($8.4 million), Edge of Tomorrow (Warner Bros.) Week 2
04 (03) ¥129 million ($1.2 million), -29%, ¥24.90 billion ($244.3 million), Frozen (Disney) Week 18
05 (04) ¥80 million ($790,000), -32%, ¥1.09 billion ($10.7 million), Mission Impossible: Samurai (Shochiku) Week 4
06 (07) ¥66 million ($650,000), -05%, ¥340 million ($3.2 million), The Grudge: The Beginning of the End (Showgate) Week 3
07 (05) ¥52 million ($510,000), -29%, ¥490 million ($4.7 million), Thirst (Gaga) Week 3
08 (--) ¥49 million ($480,000), 0, ¥65 million ($630,000), Divergent (Kadokawa) DEBUT
09 (06) ¥44 million ($430,000), -32%, ¥140 million ($1.3 million), Anpanman: The Apple Boy and Everyone's Wishes (Tokyo Theaters, Co.) Week 2
10 (08) ¥23 million ($220,000), -54%, ¥380 million ($3.6 million), Transcendence (Shochiku/Pony Canyon) Week 3

>Maleficent holds strong, achieving a second weekend above the ¥500 million mark.  Second weekend drops in the 20% range is common for bigger openers, and they tend to have healthy legs for the remainder of their runs.  The film should be near ¥1.9 billion ($18/19 million) now after 9-days, which should get it to ¥4.5 billion-5.0 billion ($45-50 million).

>Say, "I Love You" looks to have gotten off to a nice start, though I'm kinda worried its avg. ticket price will be much lower than normal from an audiences largely consisting of couples or high school/university students.  It could come in below ¥200 million ($2 million).  Either and opening over/under ¥200 million should get it above ¥1 billion ($10 million) though. 

>Edge of Tomorrow gets a solid second weekend that should lock up a total of ¥1.5 billion ($15 million) or better.  ¥2 billion ($20 million) also remains doable.

>Divergent bombed as expected with a debut comparable to the The Hunger Games films.

>The Grudge somehow got itself a sub-10% drop after a sub-20% drop last weekend... I don't know what's going on with this film, but I may look into given it's very bizarre holds.  

>Anpanman also had a strange second weekend drop above 30%.  The films very regularly manage second weekend drops of 20% or better (though a couple have went above 20%), and I can't recall any dropping this much before.
  • Like 2

How come 'Anpanman' movies are so unsuccessful when the merchandise keeps selling like crazy with the character brand beating the likes of Pokemon or Pretty Cure every single year ? You'd expect box office grosses at least on par with those of the Pretty Cure movies.

Edited by Cynosure

How come 'Anpanman' movies are so unsuccessful when the merchandise keeps selling like crazy with the character brand beating the likes of Pokemon or Pretty Cure every single year ? You'd expect box office grosses at least on par with those of the Pretty Cure movies.

Is it really above Pokemon?  

The films are distributed by Tokyo Theaters, co, so they just barely receive a wide release.  I don't know much about the company, but I'm assuming they only play their films within the Tokyo area.  

The films are distributed by Tokyo Theaters, co, so they just barely receive a wide release.  I don't know much about the company, but I'm assuming they only play their films within the Tokyo area.  

Yes : http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-08-14/20-most-valuable-character-brands-in-japan-2011 ; http://www.toonzone.net/forums/anime-forum/316520-top-character-brands-japan-2011-2012-2013-a.html

Strange for such a huge brand to get such a limited release.

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

Limited in a number of cities besides Tokyo  for example 2 thrs in Kyoto, 4 in Yokohama

I didn't mean just Tokyo itself, but the greater metropolitan area surrounding it (Shinjuku, Sumida, Kameari, Shinagawa, etc.), and the neighboring prefectures of Saitama, Chiba, and Kanagawa (which Yokohama is located in).  Almost 40 million people live in the greater Tokyo area (more than the population of New York and Los Angeles combined).

73 of its theaters or 48% of its theaters are located in just the Kanto region of the country.  It's also just playing in 39 of the 47 prefectures.  

Edited by Corpse

Disney has held on to the #1 box office spot in Japan for 18 consecutive weekends (over 1/3 of 2014 ... very impressive)

When was the last time a studio had this record ? 

When will Maleficent be beaten and which movie will do it ?

Does anyone think Frozen still has a chance at breaking $250 million ?

Edited by Annayya

Disney has held on to the #1 box office spot in Japan for 18 consecutive weekends (over 1/3 of 2014 ... very impressive)

Toho has probably done this lately (but I haven't checked).

Disney has held on to the #1 box office spot in Japan for 18 consecutive weekends (over 1/3 of 2014 ... very impressive)

This weekend Ghibli new movie will beat Mal..
  • Like 1