Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Underwhelming for marnie. Wasn't it listed as potential 10B grosser. Now it looks like it would be lucky to gross half that number.

Also Godzilla has a great chance to win next weekend for sure.

I doubt it. Any early hype for Godzilla over there?

But since women rule Japan B.O., maybe they should heavily promote the female MUTO instead.

How is that possible for Marnie???? I mean it's a Ghibli movie,how can a Ghibli movie fail in Japan?????

It's happened before. My Neighbours the Yamadas bombed even though it was their first film after Mononoke. Their early films didn't do so well either.Hopefully Marnie isn't doing so badly compared to Poppy Hill.
  • Like 1

It's happened before. My Neighbours the Yamadas bombed even though it was their first film after Mononoke. Their early films didn't do so well either.Hopefully Marnie isn't doing so badly compared to Poppy Hill.

I see.

Still,I'm shocked because it's the first time I see it with my own eyes ^^

Underwhelming for marnie. Wasn't it listed as potential 10B grosser. Now it looks like it would be lucky to gross half that number.

Also Godzilla has a great chance to win next weekend for sure.

No one was expecting it to reach 10 billion.  The only Studio Ghibli films to go that high have been Hayao Miyazaki films.

5 billion was the goal, but that may be difficult to reach.  

How is that possible for Marnie???? I mean it's a Ghibli movie,how can a Ghibli movie fail in Japan?????

It's not failing really.  It looks like it's doing around Poppy Hill numbers right now, but we'll see.  It's also a non-fantasy film with serious themes. ;)  

Think Poppy Hill or Whisper of the Heart.  Their light fantasy/non-fantasy films always do far less than their fantasy films.  

No one was expecting it to reach 10 billion.  The only Studio Ghibli films to go that high have been Hayao Miyazaki films.

5 billion was the goal, but that may be difficult to reach.  

Miyazaki being definitely gone does that mean Ghibli movies won't go that high anymore? Is that the end of a success?

Frozen could be the last movie beyond $200m (yeah I use dollars,numbers in yen have no meaning for me) in Japan if we take the demographic decline into account.

It's not failing really.  It looks like it's doing around Poppy Hill numbers right now, but we'll see.  It's also a non-fantasy film with serious themes. ;)

Think Poppy Hill or Whisper of the Heart.  Their light fantasy/non-fantasy films always do far less than their fantasy films.  

I see,I can understand why they're not that interested in it.

I see anime as low budget 2D Cartoon so I can't watch them.

It seems like they are a step behind in technology. Would Japan's economy not be able to justify the expenses of animated movies with the quality of Pixar/Disney graphics.

I see anime as low budget 2D Cartoon so I can't watch them.It seems like they are a step behind in technology. Would Japan's economy not be able to justify the expenses of animated movies with the quality of Pixar/Disney graphics.

Watch any Ghibli film.

Watch any Ghibli film.

I watched at least five Ghibli movies and they were not with the current graphics technology in animation.

Wind Rises looks like:

Posted Image

General Disney/Pixar animated movies look like:

Posted Image

I came across a horror fan made trailer for Frozen...seemed cool: 

Edited by Annayya

If you can't judge these movies outside graphics it's pretty sad.

I mean The Lion King came out 20 years ago and when I saw it again last year I was still amazed despite it's far from the recent Disney movies in terms of graphics,what about characters?Music?Story? Are these things not important enough to you?

Ghibli movies are particular and I don't like all of them,but Spirited Away is fantastic.

• Like 3

If you can't judge these movies outside graphics it's pretty sad.

I mean The Lion King came out 20 years ago and when I saw it again last year I was still amazed despite it's far from the recent Disney movies in terms of graphics,what about characters?Music?Story? Are these things not important enough to you?

Ghibli movies are particular and I don't like all of them,but Spirited Away is fantastic.

I am not saying I don't like them. The fact that I watched 5 Ghibli movies (I am not Japanese), shows that I watched them for the story.

All I am saying is that if the Japanese studios can make a lot of money from their movies they should make them with graphics at par with Disney. They can even have better luck of releasing the movie in USA and actually making some money.

Look at Spirited Away. It was an excellent movie and also won the academy award but only made $10 million in USA (which is a flop). Wind rises made only $5 million.

It was fine to make Lion King the way it was 20 years ago but if you make a sequel now Disney will not choose the same graphics technology.

Edited by Annayya

I watched at least five Ghibli movies and they were not with the current graphics technology in animation.

Wind Rises looks like:

Posted Image

General Disney/Pixar animated movies look like:

Posted Image

They're also different styles of animation, one is hand drawn (with some computer assitance I'm sure) and the other is completely computer generated. I don't think Up will age as well as TWR will.

Compare Toy Story, for instance, with Mononoke:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still of course, it's the story that counts.

Edited by lab276

I am not saying I don't like them. The fact that I watched 5 Ghibli movies (I am not Japanese), shows that I watched them for the story.

All I am saying is that if the Japanese studios can make a lot of money from their movies they should make them with graphics at par with Disney. They can even have better luck of releasing the movie in USA and actually making some money.

Look at Spirited Away. It was an excellent movie and also won the academy award but only made $10 million in USA (which is a flop). Wind rises made only $5 million.

It was fine to make Lion King the way it was 20 years ago but if you make a sequel now Disney will not choose the same graphics technology.

Fine then ^^

About CG animation I think Frozen was great,very close to these 2D animation movies I watched as a kid,this movie has a soul,the warmth Cynosure is talking about.

Out of curiosity, did the other big animated movies in Japan get the same kind of merchandising push Frozen seems to be getting? I mean, bread and ice cream? Elsa, Anna and Olaf alcoholic drinks? It seems Frozen is being marketed across the board vigorously.

I wish we had Elsa ice cream and Elsa bread in America. Japan did a WAY better job marketing Frozen than America. :sadno: