Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

23 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

But you did list it as a category that would eliminate Frozen from the top 10. And looking at the list again, I realized I forgot to list Finding Nemo as much more impressive as well. Even without the re-release it would've made the top 10, and it got there with zero dollars made in China, if BOM is accurate. And since you're going to bring up obscure references, I'll just say in advance that its resemblance to the plotline of Pierrot the Clownfish is not something that would've noticeably boosted its box office.

And Finding Nemo happened more than a decade ago too... Zootopia is the recent original animation sleeper hit.

10 years is a long time to wait for a big original animation bit

Truth be told, I generalized quite a bit when I said Zootopia is the only top 10 original animation because I didn't want to make my post too long.

Points I omitted:

1.) Frozen probably would have been in the top 10 (or even top 3) without its Princess fan base or marketing advantage

2.) Finding Nemo would have still made top 10 without the re-release

3.) If Zootopia isn't in the top 10... no.10 would have been Inside Out, another original animation, anyway

Seeing as now i am spending more posts explaining, i guess it's safe to say that backfired spectacularly.

The point I'm trying to make is that most top grossing animated films came from films with pre-established fan bases (at least 7 in the top 10, 11 in the top 15, and 13 in the top 20)... and my hope is that the success of Zootopia will help decrease those numbers in the future

23 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

Ironically, it's probably doing the opposite. The success of Frozen and Zootopia is leading to a sequel for the former and likely a sequel for the latter.

well, i can only hope that it will in the process inspire more original animated films to be made in the future

Edited by Foul01

6 hours ago, Foul01 said:

And Finding Nemo happened more than a decade ago too... Zootopia is the recent original animation sleeper hit.

10 years is a long time to wait for a big original animation bit

Truth be told, I generalized quite a bit when I said Zootopia is the only top 10 original animation because I didn't want to make my post too long.

Points I omitted:

1.) Frozen probably would have been in the top 10 (or even top 3) without its Princess fan base or marketing advantage

2.) Finding Nemo would have still made top 10 without the re-release

3.) If Zootopia isn't in the top 10... no.10 would have been Inside Out, another original animation, anyway

Seeing as now i am spending more posts explaining, i guess it's safe to say that backfired spectacularly.

The point I'm trying to make is that most top grossing animated films came from films with pre-established fan bases (at least 7 in the top 10, 11 in the top 15, and 13 in the top 20)... and my hope is that the success of Zootopia will help decrease those numbers in the future

well, i can only hope that it will in the process inspire more original animated films to be made in the future

Frozen hit is special case in Japan particularly on its dubbed songs rather than princess fanbase. But I did agree Zootopia is original animation sleeper hit.

Local Japan Time 13:44

Current deficit against 64: 3.8K

The comeback from Zootopia should start anytime now (as it did on Monday and Tuesday, where Zootopia had a strong resurgence in the afternoon and evening)

Any guesses what the final number and ranking will be by the end of the day?

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 **7915 64-ロクヨン-前編
 *2 **4504 シビル・ウォー キャプテン・…
 *3 **4181 ズートピア
 *4 **2793 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の…
 *5 **1442 ちはやふる~下の句~
 *6 **1369 レヴェナント 蘇えりし者
 *7 **1229 アイアムアヒーロー
 *8 **1115 ROAD TO HiGH&L…
 *9 **1072 劇場版 遊☆戯☆王 THE …
 10 ***871 テラフォーマーズ
[2016/05/12 13:44 更新]

14 hours ago, Foul01 said:

(note: Anna and Elsa are still not officially included in the Disney Princess franchise yet... the exact reason is unclear yet, one theory is that the Frozen brand has actually grown bigger than that of the Disney Princess brand, another theory is that officially including Frozen into the Disney Princess franchise will harm the feminist theme of the movie... but whatever the reason, people are going to associate Anna and Elsa with Disney Princesses and Frozen is therefore heavily marketed)

The reason is pretty clear: revenues of Princess brand are around 1B$ each year, revenues of Frozen brand passed 6B$ by the end of 2015. The fact is that Disney isn't a no profit association, it is the #1 among worldwide global licensor by wide margin (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/top-150-global-licensors-top-262-billion-in-retail-sales-300263545.html).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

Thursday was its lowest day yet. Not a good sign.

Cinderella had its lowest day up to then on May 12 as well, though that was a Tuesday. It does seem to be dropping faster on the weekdays than Cinderella, which is concerning, but we'll have to wait for the weekend numbers to see how it's holding, as that's where it seems to be making most of its money.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Keep in mind that admissions might be a bit lower than normal today because tomorrow, Saturday, is the 14th of the month, and Toho cinemas discounts its tickets to ¥1,100.

Presumably this is why Tuesdays are so low relative to the rest of the week because of discount Wednesdays. But you don't see Mondays having lower admissions because of discount Tuesdays in the US. Wonder what the difference is.

46 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

Presumably this is why Tuesdays are so low relative to the rest of the week because of discount Wednesdays. But you don't see Mondays having lower admissions because of discount Tuesdays in the US. Wonder what the difference is.

My guess would be that movie tickets are relatively more expensive in Japan than in the US, so there's a stronger incentive to avoid going just one day before a discount day.

And $1B WW is almost a lock, at least if Zootopia does as well in Japan as pre-sales and early sales suggest ! It definitely seems to be behaving like a mini-Frozen with the vast majority of its gross coming from strong weekends.

Corpse :

(C)2016 Disney. All Rights Reserved.

Weekend Forecast (05/14-15)/2016年05月14日-2016年05月15日
01 (01) ¥430,000,000 ($4.0 million), +11%, ¥3,650,000,000 ($34.3 million), Zootopia (Disney) WK4
02 (---) ¥250,000,000 ($2.3 million), 0, ¥250,000,000 ($2.3 million), If Cats Disappeared from the World (Toho) NEW
03 (---) ¥220,000,000 ($2.0 million), 0, ¥220,000,000 ($2.0 million), The Magnificent Nine (Shochiku) NEW

04 (02) ¥212,000,000 ($2.0 million), -24%, ¥5,425,000,000 ($50.0 million), Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (Toho) WK5
05 (03) ¥206,000,000 ($1.9 million), -20%, ¥650,000,000 ($6.2 million), 64: Part 1 (Toho) WK2
06 (04) ¥158,000,000 ($1.5 million), -29%, ¥2,150,000,000 ($20.0 million), Captain America: Civil War (Disney) WK3
07 (06) ¥97,000,000 ($895,000), -18%, ¥1,800,000,000 ($16.7 million), Crayon Shin-chan: Assault on the Dreaming World (Toho) WK5
08 (07) ¥94,000,000 ($865,000), -10%, ¥1,330,000,000 ($12.6 million), I Am a Hero (Toho) WK4
09 (09) ¥91,000,000 ($840,000), +20%, ¥615,000,000 ($5.6 million), Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions (Toei) WK4
10 (08) ¥76,000,000 ($700,000), -26%, ¥930,000,000 ($8.7 million), Chihayafuru - Part 2 (Toho) WK3
10 (11) ¥47,000,000 ($430,000), -17%, ¥925,000,000 ($8.5 million), The Revenant (Fox) WK5

I forgot that today (Saturday) is a Toho Cinemas Day (discount ticket prices), so weekend drops will be quite good. Also, this weekend has been strong over the past few years, so we might be in store for some very, very good holds (some sub-20%, with chances of increases).

>Zootopia, in particular, is in spectacular shape. It held very well last week over the post-Golden Week weekend to earn its first #1 ranking (in its third weekend), and is looking to repeat this weekend.

And I'm nearly 100% certain it's going to experience a weekend increase. Audiences are really, really taking advantage of the discount day to see this one. Last year, Cinderella only dropped 4% this weekend (without any assistance), so an increase does look almost assured for Zootopia.

>If Cats Disappeared from the World was looking good prior to the weekend, but its barely picked up any momentum now that the weekend is upon it. It was outpacing The Magnificent Nine by a comfortable margin on just two days ago, but they two are running very close now based on pre-sales. These films are playing to two very different audiences (almost exclusively teens and women vs. almost exclusively adults/seniors), so it's difficult to say which one has the advantage this weekend.

And depending on how well the holds are this weekend, Detective Conan and 64: Part 1 could certainly hold well enough to remain viable Top 3 contenders.

>Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions looks like it's going to enjoy yet another weekend increase, but its small release makes it very difficult to pinpoint an accurate percentage range of that increase. Let's say 20%? *shrug* This film has been quite unpredictable, even by most limited/near limited release anime film standards.

>The 10th position this weekend is up for grabs (since Terra Formars continues its collapse), but I'm betting on The Revenant climbing back into the Top 10.... However, the second HK: Hentai Kamen film actually has fair pre-sales; I just can't see its low theater count of 53 (85%! accounted for at the usual locations) allowing it to make a serious play at the Top 10.
Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Zoo holding up well. I thought it might run a minions obon pattern and finish low 40s but it's looking good.

Given its track record in so many different countries?

I expected better from you. :P

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Given its track record in so many different countries?

I expected better from you. :P

Lol. Minions was hold well just like zoo through Obon and a similar sized OW. I thought 50m was possible but it faded. Minions made a lot more OS-C. 

Zoo up 13% in admissions over last Saturday at 1400. Tohoku discount accounting for the bump. The number won't be 63% today for the UL

18 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Lol. Minions was hold well just like zoo through Obon and a similar sized OW. I thought 50m was possible but it faded. Minions made a lot more OS-C. 

Zoo up 13% in admissions over last Saturday at 1400. Tohoku discount accounting for the bump. The number won't be 63% today for the UL

The track record I was talking about referred to Zootopia's legs in multiple countries. No telling where it will end up in Japan, in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The track record I was talking about referred to Zootopia's legs in multiple countries. No telling where it will end up in Japan, in my opinion.

With this weekend being flat to OW I must say $1B is looking very good.

You went a little low on the new release picks, I said hedge lower when in doubt.  I went 9.5m on Clooney cuz he has a lot of 10-12m openers. With a fresh tomato I was pretty sure it wouldn't do 6m like T9 or criminal. Not sure what will happen with Bacon. Your holders look good. I'm surprised you went that low on TJB. You could be right, but I thought you'd be high on that

3 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

With this weekend being flat to OW I must say $1B is looking very good.

You went a little low on the new release picks, I said hedge lower when in doubt.  I went 9.5m on Clooney cuz he has a lot of 10-12m openers. With a fresh tomato I was pretty sure it wouldn't do 6m like T9 or criminal. Not sure what will happen with Bacon. Your holders look good. I'm surprised you went that low on TJB. You could be right, but I thought you'd be high on that

I only go high on Zootopia, and there isn't a lot of wiggle room there anyways. :P Besides, I'm a little more disciplined now. And I'm just a little jealous of Jungle Book's run, so I might be punishing it in my analysis.

• Like 1