Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Breaking News: After grossing ¥17,120,900 (12,028 admits) on Mon, Spiderman: No Way Home has became the Highest Grossing Hollywood Movie since the start of CoVid-19. Cumulative Total until Monday (02/07) is ¥3,676,200,360 with a mobilized crowd of 2,421,177.

Ghostbusters Franchise:

¥4.099B : Ghostbusters (1984)* (¥6.97B /Gross)

¥1.750B : Ghostbusters (1989)* (¥2.98B /Gross)

¥1.240B : Ghostbusters (2016)

¥0.127B : Ghostbusters Afterlife (2022)

*Rentals

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Breaking News: After grossing ¥17,120,900 (12,028 admits) on Mon, Spiderman: No Way Home has became the Highest Grossing Hollywood Movie since the start of CoVid-19. Cumulative Total until Monday (02/07) is ¥3,676,200,360 with a mobilized crowd of 2,421,177.

Ghostbusters Franchise:

¥4.099B : Ghostbusters (1984)* (¥6.97B /Gross)

¥1.750B : Ghostbusters (1989)* (¥2.98B /Gross)

¥1.240B : Ghostbusters (2016)

¥0.127B : Ghostbusters Afterlife (2022)

*Rentals

Furious 9 finally passed, now it's Infinity War turn at 3.74B 👍

Analyst's Expectation For 2022 (¥5.0B Milestone)

For Local Works:

■ Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 (already 2x "Record")

■ Detective Conan: The Bride of Halloween Night (could be the 2nd ¥10B in 2022)

■ Dragon Ball Super Heroes (doubtful)

■ One Piece: Red

■ Suzume's Locking-Up 

For Western Works:

■ Fantastic Beast 3

■ Light Year

■ Minions 2

■ Jurassic World 3

Edited by Issac Newton

Western Works (Prequels) Breakdown

Fantastic Beast (2016) : ¥7.34B

Fantastic Beast (2018) : ¥6.57B

Minions (2015) : ¥5.21B

Jurassic Park (1993) : ¥12.85B

Jurassic Park (1997) : ¥9.50B

Jurassic Park (2001) : ¥5.13B

Jurassic World (2015) : ¥9.53B

Jurassic World (2018) : ¥8.07B

For Local Works, I will do later...

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 5

I'd be very surprised if DBS even matched broly's performance, let alone pushing 5 billion tbh. And I'd bet on fantastic beasts to have a big, big decline over its predecessor and miss 5B. Given that the first minions barely crossed the mark and that Japan isn't much of a sequel country, I'd say minions 2 crossing the mark seems unlikely too. Light Year seems possible depending on how Disney handles the theatrical window, I think, if it goes to streaming too fast and theaters kick it off their screens I doubt it'll happen.

I think the Slam Dunk movie has potential if it it's released this year. Slam Dunk has cult status, is still a very big brand, and could potentially attract a lot of interest. If reading the original isn't a requirement for the movie I'd bet on it to get there.

Not too sure what's coming that could do well in terms of live actions this year, but surely if Minions 2 is included as a movie with a shot at 5b+ then Kingdom 2 should as well.

Adding DBS: Super Heroes looks like a joke. Since, Bigger OW still can't guarantee a bigger finals than Original. 

Looking over the potential, I can see Detective Conan, One Piece &Shinkai Masterpiece passing ¥5.0B, Among Imported Films, I have more expectations on Light Year &Jurassic Park III. Detective Conan: The Bride of Halloween Night could also have a shot for ¥10B. Potentially, this year box office will be interesting until Suzume's Locking-Up moved to December 😔

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm just hoping the next 20bn movie gets confirmed on Sunday, just like Mugen Train was confirmed at the end of the first season of Demon Slayer 

Market Will not see ¥20B for some-time now 😭 Let alone be Avatar 2, the 1st biggest expectations for Hollywood movie to successfully pass ¥10B here.

Before Batman (2022) Release.....

A Breakdown on it's Franchise:

¥3.47B : Batman (1989)『Rentals : ¥1.98B』

¥1.40B : Batman (1992)『Rentals : ¥700M』

¥0.90B : Batman Forever (1995)

¥1.40B : Batman &Robins (1997)

¥1.41B : Batman Begins (2005)

¥1.71B : The Dark Knight (2008)

¥1.97B : The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

¥1.86B : Batman Vs Superman (2016)

Edited by Issac Newton

I know it hasnt been confirmed at all but ive read that some leaks said that MAPPA could maybe adapt the last chapters of Attack on Titan into a movie that could come out this year. A lot of ifs, i know (also im an anime-only fan of the show, pls no spoilers!) but i would imagine if they do that, the movie could be very succesfull in Japan and in the rest of the world, since AoT is the biggest anime in the world right now.

4 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Analyst's Expectation For 2022 (¥5.0B Milestone)

For Local Works:

■ Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 (already 2x "Record")

■ Detective Conan: The Bride of Halloween Night (could be the 2nd ¥10B in 2022)

■ Dragon Ball Super Heroes (doubtful)

■ One Piece: Red

■ Suzume's Locking-Up 

For Western Works:

■ Fantastic Beast 3

■ Light Year

■ Minions 2

■ Jurassic World 3

How about avatar? First one made over $170mil in japan

Edited by BruiseCruise

2 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

How about avatar? First one made over $170mil in japan

Avatar will fall on 2023 for Japan. If it even release on Dec 2022, because here box office, sales in BD &DVD, books... follow Oricon /Eiren Calendar (Nov 2021-Nov 2022).

If you are asking about it's potential than ¥10B+ is confirmed &it will easily pass $100M in Japan. It's one of the biggest expected hit from Hollywood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Market Will not see ¥20B for some-time now 😭 Let alone be Avatar 2, the 1st biggest expectations for Hollywood movie to successfully pass ¥10B here.

Missed the point of what I'm saying slightly, I'm assuming a Demon Slayer sequel gets announced after the season finale on Sunday, that's how they announced mugen train at the end of the first season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Missed the point of what I'm saying slightly, I'm assuming a Demon Slayer sequel gets announced after the season finale on Sunday, that's how they announced mugen train at the end of the first season

I don't think any of the remaining arcs are short enough to be done in a movie, mugen train was perfect cause its only like 14 chapters long

26 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I know it hasnt been confirmed at all but ive read that some leaks said that MAPPA could maybe adapt the last chapters of Attack on Titan into a movie that could come out this year. A lot of ifs, i know (also im an anime-only fan of the show, pls no spoilers!) but i would imagine if they do that, the movie could be very succesfull in Japan and in the rest of the world, since AoT is the biggest anime in the world right now.

AoT is definitely the biggest in the west right now, but I'm pretty doubtful about worldwide, seems like DS is just bigger in asia even outside of its japan stronghold to me. I imagine it'd have potential for a 5b run in japan but I don't think it can do 10 in Japan.

Predicting western results for an anime movie is pretty tricky though. I think an AoT movie would beat mugen train in those countries but I have no idea what performance it can put out, even moreso knowing the ending to the series is not well received.

It's my rough idea that CoVid-19 help DS in NA &France (Outside Asia) but badly affected it's performance in Germany, LATAM, Hong Kong & Indonesia. The film set records in Africa &Middle East (though it's at $K for Africa). Some great victory was on Russia+CIS, while Korea &Taiwan shows greatest unbelievable numbers.

37 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

AoT is definitely the biggest in the west right now, but I'm pretty doubtful about worldwide, seems like DS is just bigger in asia even outside of its japan stronghold to me. I imagine it'd have potential for a 5b run in japan but I don't think it can do 10 in Japan.

Predicting western results for an anime movie is pretty tricky though. I think an AoT movie would beat mugen train in those countries but I have no idea what performance it can put out, even moreso knowing the ending to the series is not well received.

According to Parrot Analystics, AoT is not only the biggest Anime in the world, but for 2021, it was also the most in-demand-TV show of the world:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/attack-on-titan-anime-in-demand-tv-show-2021.html/

Of course, this is just an analysis from one institution, but its a good indicator, that the audience for a massive worldwide gross would probably be there.