Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

16 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Demon Slayer needs to quit TV, Swordsmith Village should have been a movie, the seasons are just too long for these stories now. 

Plus I want another monster run. 

I have been thinking DS will go for a film trilogy for quite a while now.

The fact that the next tv thing is title pillar training pretty much confirms it will be nothing but a short prelude to what's to come, since DS is super pedantic about names (so much so they retroactively renamed s1 "tanjiro coming of age arc" or some shit lol). They won't put anything that isn't part of the arc in it.

Goes without saying but don't open the spoiler if you haven't read the manga. Something like

Pillar training: 4-5 eps up until muzan arrival

Film 1: From Ubuyashiki-muzan meeting to Akaza defeat

Film 2: Douma+Kokushibou

Film 3: Countdown to sunrise

Easily the best way to pace the rest of the manga as well anyway. Awkward ending points though but those were going to be there no matter what. Even if it was tv it would be split cour.

Episode count is a non-issue as well since DS' timeslot on fuji tv is not an anime slot that has to be handed out to something else anyway. When DS isn't airing it's pretty much irrelevant.

• Like 1

Yes, if you know the original, you know that the current arc is not suitable for a movie adaptation. Even when the manga was being serialized, it was said to be one of the least exciting arcs. The last chapter could be made into a movie, and in that case, it would be extremely exciting, even if not as exciting as the last movie.

The box office should be quite good at that time.

The views metric is completely worthless...it's just a bad extrapolation from hours watched, I don't even know why they added the metric when they don't have the numbers anyway...Assuming that everyone who clicked watched to the end on netflix of all places is so dumb. Just stick to hours watched lol.

That said, the number is alright..it's nothing mind-blowing or anything, but for a film that clearly doesn't cost much, I think both parties are satisfied...

What I don't get, is why they're announcing giveaways for this thing up to like 4th weekend...for the numbers it's putting up it may as well be out of theaters after next weekend, and I can't imagine it will have much in terms of screening at all. Obviously these were decided in advance, so I guess they just thought it'd do better, but come on...

Edited by JustLurking

15 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The views metric is completely worthless...it's just a bad extrapolation from hours watched, I don't even know why they added the metric when they don't have the numbers anyway...Assuming that everyone who clicked watched to the end on netflix of all places is so dumb. Just stick to hours watched lol.

That said, the number is alright..it's nothing mind-blowing or anything, but for a film that clearly doesn't cost much, I think both parties are satisfied...

What I don't get, is why they're announcing giveaways for this thing up to like 4th weekend...for the numbers it's putting up it may as well be out of theaters after next weekend, and I can't imagine it will have much in terms of screening at all. Obviously these were decided in advance, so I guess they just thought it'd do better, but come on...

Keeping View Metrics aside, Theatrical Release and Giveaways doesn't make sense, wonder what Studio was thinking by going into two ways. Could have made Theatrical Exclusive like Evangelion 3.0+1.01: Thrice Upon A Time and drop into Netflix Overseas after a month. Marketing/Promotion Staff must be crazy into this strategy.

• Like 1

After seeing Elemental, I'm reasonably confident it will succeed in Japan.

It's showing signs of breaking out in South Korea, which is a good sign. And in my opinion the movie hits some of the same notes as Zootopia, which was also a big hit in Japan.

It will easily pass the ¥1 billion barrier, and I'm curious if it will do ¥5 billion. However, it might only have a month in theaters before Disney Plus, I heard...

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's showing signs of breaking out in South Korea, which is a good sign. And in my opinion the movie hits some of the same notes as Zootopia, which was also a big hit in Japan.

It will easily pass the ¥1 billion barrier, and I'm curious if it will do ¥5 billion. However, it might only have a month in theaters before Disney Plus, I heard...

Passing "Light Year" (¥1.22B) will be big enough. But, no way ¥5.0B is possible. Pixar lost it's audiences to Illumination. Reaching "Sing 2" (¥3.311B) is difficult forget about "Minions: The Rise of Gnu" (¥4.442B) 

Korea usually used to an indicator but Market has got lot of difference since Post-CoVid-19 with rising ATP &Audience Target

Elemental at best crossing ¥2.0B will be enough to call it a success.

Just now, Issac Newton said:

Passing "Light Year" (¥1.22B) will be big enough. But, no way ¥5.0B is possible. Pixar lost it's audiences to Illumination. Reaching "Sing 2" (¥3.311B) is difficult forget about "Minions: The Rise of Gnu" (¥4.442B) 

Korea usually used to an indicator but Market has got lot of difference since Post-CoVid-19 with rising ATP &Audience Target

Elemental at best crossing ¥2.0B will be enough to call it a success.

I view those Illumination movies as just more encouragement that Japan appreciates American animated movies.

But thanks for pointing out how difficult ¥5 billion will be.

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If it has a month in theaters it will do sub 1 billion...regardless I don't think it would do 5b+ and SK doesn't really match jp that well, though of course it is possible that it breaks out...

21 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Keeping View Metrics aside, Theatrical Release and Giveaways doesn't make sense, wonder what Studio was thinking by going into two ways. Could have made Theatrical Exclusive like Evangelion 3.0+1.01: Thrice Upon A Time and drop into Netflix Overseas after a month. Marketing/Promotion Staff must be crazy into this strategy.

It's just really weird to me? Like, sure, it's a netflix release, if you want it in theaters give it a small theatrical release, which is what they did...but why are they committing to so many weeks in theaters and giveaways? Giveaway on 2nd weekend, giveaway on 4th weekend...guys, this film is already dead in theaters, it's not even top15 LOL.

I don't really know if they thought this would just do way better in theaters or what, but let's be real, black clover is not that big, it's just a moderately successful battle shonen, only kimetsu can really get away with doing stuff like this. Either do netflix or theatrical, don't bother with both.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

This is why we need region specific dates for Disney+. You can’t have staggered theatrical release dates and not delay the streaming date accordingly for those markets. Japan already had delayed home video release dates in the past, so this is nothing new for Disney.

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

but iger said they gonna give these animations long windows between streaming and theatrical ! i hope they hold animations till year end 

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, froztking said:

but iger said they gonna give these animations long windows between streaming and theatrical ! i hope they hold animations till year end 

Already did with Cameron's "Avatar: The Way Of Water" but didn't help. Not only theatres but audiences don't have trust on these promises. Reception must be like "A must watch in theatre" of Toho-Towa's "Top Gun: Maverick" Only then things could improve.

• Sad 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:52 PM, Claudio said:

Detective Conan has been experiencing massive growth in Japan ever since 2016. Before that all the series seems to had ceiling at ¥3-4Bn. Any particular reason why for the sudden growth?

It's something to do with a special character appearance. (A user at 5ch has explained it well) 

Conan films are lot stable went it's comes to box office. The trend hasn't seen a declining since 2014. With production planned up to 30th film, I can confirmly say that each film will cross ¥10B, though may not be on the same level of Conan 2023 (26th Film)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

It's something to do with a special character appearance. (A user at 5ch has explained it well) 

Conan films are lot stable went it's comes to box office. The trend hasn't seen a declining since 2014. With production planned up to 30th film, I can confirmly say that each film will cross ¥10B, though may not be on the same level of Conan 2023 (26th Film)

And this is without any Giveaways. Imagine what will happen if TOHO ever planned Giveaways for any Conan Films. So Success Ratio isn't exactly comparable to that of Suzume, SLAM DUNK or Jujutsu Kaisen (and even One Piece: Film Red too)

• Thanks 1