Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

5 minutes ago, Flip said:

I'd guess the first one would be a 2026 release if the 4th season releases next year, but it's possible that some of the fanbase might move on after 6 years between 2 movies. It's also possible that I don't fully understand how the fanbase functions.

The season itself will probably only be a 3-4 eps sort of deal, I think they will have the film out within 2024 or early 2025 at most.

Edited by JustLurking

COVID is definitely the reason for DS being so insane a few years ago. It’s not just a coincidence that the whole country is on lockdown in their homes and suddenly an anime TV show that’s new and easily accessible blows up bigger than any ever has there. I think this is evident in the fact that peak covid 2020-2021 era was clearly the peak of that franchise popularity there as well, and I can’t imagine it will ever be able to replicate that again. 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

COVID is definitely the reason for DS being so insane a few years ago. It’s not just a coincidence that the whole country is on lockdown in their homes and suddenly an anime TV show that’s new and easily accessible blows up bigger than any ever has there. I think this is evident in the fact that peak covid 2020-2021 era was clearly the peak of that franchise popularity there as well, and I can’t imagine it will ever be able to replicate that again. 

DS exploded before COVID and is still the biggest series in the country years after it. Not to say it didn't help, but it definitely is not *the reason*.

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is like saying without WB movie Harry Potter wouldn’t be popular..

Demon Slayer already achieved insane success in manga sale before Mugen train,think about all great anime come up in your mind first,whatever Attack on Titan,Naruto,DBZ,One piece,whatever it is,DS just crush them all in Japan on its glory days

Edited by Sophia Jane

There have been entire think pieces on how being cooped up during covid in the months prior to MT theatrical release created the perfect storm for that movie to do what was otherwise thought impossible at Japanese box office. I literally thought we all knew this was a given, definitely not getting into this “argument” since there’s nothing to argue about. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There have been entire think pieces on how being cooped up during covid in the months prior to MT theatrical release created the perfect storm for that movie to do what was otherwise thought impossible at Japanese box office. I literally thought we all knew this was a given, definitely not getting into this “argument” since there’s nothing to argue about. 

The way you phrased it read like you were referring to the franchise as a whole instead of the film, but yes, covid was just one factor, which is why it was a perfect storm.

COVID killed all possible competition, but that wouldn't have created the absolutely ludicrous records we saw if it didn't line up with what was basically the biggest zeitgeist ever to begin with. And DS obviously can't get to 40b without the extra help.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 12:55 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

Don't think I've ever seen a movie hit with more of a perfect storm than Demon Slayer. Theaters are crying out for movies, the property is unbelievably hot after the manga ended, the TV season was a big hit. Those conditions will likely never be repeated at the same time

Yeah. The OW record is sure to never be broken. Probably the total gross too.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah. The OW record is sure to never be broken. Probably the total gross too.

Opening weekend for the next movie will be absolutely fascinating. Will it have the same rush factor? Will it suck all the air out of the market? Once it's dated does everything else scatter? Can't wait to find out. 

On 10/16/2023 at 12:32 PM, Issac Newton said:

Movement On All-Time Grossers

¥13.99B - The Super Mario Bros. Movie

¥13.83B - Detective Conan: Black Iron Submarine

¥13.74B - Top Gun Maverick

¥8.440B - How Do You Live?

Movement On All-Time Grossers

¥19.87B - ONE PIECE: FILM RED

¥14.01B - The Super Mario Bros. Movie

¥13.83B - Detective Conan: Black Iron Submarine

¥13.74B - Top Gun Maverick

¥8.470B - How Do You Live?