Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

I think that Httyd 2 will pass Frozen Worldwide.

That will be really difficult. Even if it has a pretty massive increase from the first, it would probably need to more than double the original DOM gross, or more.It can't expect the performance in east Asia that Frozen had. And in many countries it's going to have competition from the World Cup. If it does better than 750m, it will have had a great WW run.
  • Like 4

I think that Httyd 2 will pass Frozen Worldwide.

I think it will increase over the first, but more in the 700-750 WW range. The first was quite good, but for an animated movie to pass a billion, let alone Frozen's 1.2+ billion, it has to be a phenomenon in virtually every market.

I really don't think we'll see anything like this for another 10 or 20 years.

• Like 1

That would be a pretty steep increase from the first (that did not even break $500M WW)... while i really love HTTYD i doubt that it will come close to Frozens numbers...

Nobody knows ;p Edited by SamComedian

yup. I grabbed an earlier post. I cut and pasted the newer one in. You have a new number in mind?

Thanks, and i guess ill stay with $240M for now... that might be on the lower end, but since i created a club that probably needs something a bit closer to $300M to succeed i want to hedge my bets a little :P

Maybe, but I don't see it.

It's not likely. Frozen's probably going to finish in the range of 1.3b or so. But FN was one of the first animated films to really hit it out of the park worldwide. It was the first to gross over half a billion OS. It wasn't until Ice Age 3 that an animated film actually outgrossed it.

It's not a prequel, so the problem that MU had won't be present here. It should see a bump from FN, much as TS3 bumped up over TS2.

If there's anything on the horizon that can challenge Shrek 3's OW gross (assuming HTTYD2 doesn't massively overperform), it's Dory. If anything can challenge Shrek 2's DOM gross, it's Dory. And if anything can challenge Frozen's WW gross, it's Dory.

I don't think it's likely, but it's certainly possible.

• Like 2

It's not likely. Frozen's probably going to finish in the range of 1.3b or so. But FN was one of the first animated films to really hit it out of the park worldwide. It was the first to gross over half a billion OS. It wasn't until Ice Age 3 that an animated film actually outgrossed it. It's not a prequel, so the problem that MU had won't be present here. It should see a bump from FN, much as TS3 bumped up over TS2. If there's anything on the horizon that can challenge Shrek 3's OW gross (assuming HTTYD2 doesn't massively overperform), it's Dory. If anything can challenge Shrek 2's DOM gross, it's Dory. And if anything can challenge Frozen's WW gross, it's Dory. I don't think it's likely, but it's certainly possible.

Shrek 2 made more WW than FN, but I do see what you're saying. It could however be a Titanic and TPM situation, in a way. Edited by lab276

I'd say Finding Dory has a shot, actually.

I think for FD to have any chance against Frozen it has to rely on amazing WoM. I still can't imagine how compelling a story FD would be compared to FN - FN being a touching story of father-son relationship. There might even be a risk of sequelitis that plagued Pixar lately. Hopefully not, I'm looking forward to it. And how about a prediction on when/what page this Japan BO thread will finally have one full page that doesn't mention Frozen? I'd say it'll be well past page 500.

I think for FD to have any chance against Frozen it has to rely on amazing WoM. I still can't imagine how compelling a story FD would be compared to FN - FN being a touching story of father-son relationship. There might even be a risk of sequelitis that plagued Pixar lately. Hopefully not, I'm looking forward to it. And how about a prediction on when/what page this Japan BO thread will finally have one full page that doesn't mention Frozen? I'd say it'll be well past page 500.

500 pages locked goddamn it! 600 in play.Ray Subers says, "I don't know, a lot"488 and Omni throws up Edited by mfantin65
  • Like 1

From Corpse:

All-Time Top-Grossing Films (USD)01 :: $244.0 million - Spirited Away (2001)02 :: $212.0 million - Titanic (1997)03 :: $207.0 million - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)04 :: $188.7 million - Avatar (2009)05 :: $165.5 million - Princess Mononoke (1997)06 :: $164.5 million - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)07 :: $163.7 million - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)08 :: $156.0 million - Ponyo (2008)09 :: $149.0 million - Frozen (2014) [After 53 Days]*Estimate*10 :: $147.8 million - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)11 :: $142.8 million - Alice in Wonderland (2010)12 :: $130.7 million - Toy Story 3 (2010)13 :: $126.7 million - The Last Samurai (2003)14 :: $125.3 million - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)15 :: $125.1 million - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)16 :: $123.5 million - The Wind Rises (2013) 17 :: $120.6 million - Jurassic Park (1993)18 :: $117.6 million - Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)19 :: $114.9 million - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) 20 :: $111.9 million - Arrietty (2010) 21 :: $102.4 million - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)21 :: $102.4 million - Finding Nemo (2003)23 :: $100.2 million - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004)24 :: $100.0 million - Armageddon (1998)25 :: $97.2 million - Umizaru: The Last Message (2010)26 :: $94.5 million - Rookies (2009)27 :: $93.6 million - Umizaru: Brave Hearts (2012)28 :: $91.3 million - Monsters University (2013)29 :: $90.5 million - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)$90 million+

• Like 1

More money is more money, doesn't really matter where it comes from.

It's a strong indication that FD could drastically improve OS. It came out in 2003, before many of the big OS markets exploded. The films that had bigger OS grosses before it were, I think, Titanic, Jurassic Park, the first two Harry Potter films, and the first two LotR films.

So what sort of bump do you think it could get? TS2 had 240m OS. TS3 had nearly 650m. Monsters Inc had 270 while MU had 475. Ice Age had 205 while IA4 had 715 (granted, there were incremental raises with the other two films in the series.) FD could be looking at these sort of increases. It could bump up $300m OS or more.

And that's ignoring whatever sort of increase it can get DOM.

It's a strong indication that FD could drastically improve OS. It came out in 2003, before many of the big OS markets exploded. The films that had bigger OS grosses before it were, I think, Titanic, Jurassic Park, the first two Harry Potter films, and the first two LotR films.

So what sort of bump do you think it could get? TS2 had 240m OS. TS3 had nearly 650m. Monsters Inc had 270 while MU had 475. Ice Age had 205 while IA4 had 715 (granted, there were incremental raises with the other two films in the series.) FD could be looking at these sort of increases. It could bump up $300m OS or more.

And that's ignoring whatever sort of increase it can get DOM.

There are risks for FD. Stories could be told once and once again, with fresh ideas, that's fine, audience will buy it. While FINDING one more time? Hard to say  how it's gonna be. And which is even more important is that, I heard Dory will lead the movie? She's adorable I know, but I doubt weather it'll do for the movie as an seq.