Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

You shouldn't be surprised at those Ice Age numbers. Ice Age 4 made 716M OS, those numbers have to come from somewhere.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the whole OS number also. IA4 being the best-selling animation oversea? That's ridiculous. Hope that didn't hurt someone, but if that's IA1 or IA2, it would be much better for me, though they are not my favourate. Glad Frozen took the place.

Edited by Hider

Yeah, I'm surprised at the whole OS number also. IA4 being the best-selling animation oversea? That's ridiculous. Hope that didn't hurt someone, but if that's IA1 or IA2, it would be much better for me, though they are not my favourate. Glad Frozen took the place.

Yeah I don't get it either. I mean, if it were Toy Story 3, then I completely understand. Then again, I'm nowhere near understanding the mind of little boys. To me, Despicable Me 2 is just an average, if not slightly below, movie. But my son loves it more than Frozen. Meh. Luckily, he dislike Rio 2 like I do. Haha (sorry Rio 2 fans).How about another cockamamie theory as to why Frozen is doing well or not well in some areas: maybe the more introverted people in a society, the more Frozen is doing well? Maybe, just maybe, Elsa's "conceal don't feel" depression resonates with a lot of people? I just can't imagine Frozen in the same league as Ghibli movies. There's got to be a reason why it's exploding as it is now. I mean, destroying 8th week records? Wow.

• Like 1

I seriously don't get the appeal of ice age beyond Scrat

little kids love that kind of movie. my four years old boy watch ice age series almost everyday 

btw, how much IA4 made in japan?

Edited by ClarkKent

I think it didn't get released in Japan, did it?

Why fox didn't release it in one of biggest market for animation?

it might reached 1 B WW if it got release here.

Edited by ClarkKent

Why fox didn't release it in one of biggest market for animation?

it might reached 1 B WW if it got release here.

Just big for local anim and Pixar. Even Disney anim hasn't been doing well in Japan, until Elsa's in charge.

• Like 1

Toho X is lower than OW (Corpse said 10,8M$ for sat/sun, so toho x 60,3). To compare it in right way, we must subtract singalong admissions. I think it need about 120k adm without singalong to match or surpass OW

So, Frozen has a shot at beating its entire opening weekend with its 8th Monday.

At this point you wouldn't think Frozen could put up numbers that would still shock people, but it finds a way.Posted Image

• Like 2

I seriously don't get the appeal of ice age beyond Scrat

Scrat is the entire appeal of Ice Age. He's a ridiculously well done character for worldwide consumption: there's no language barrier to get him at all. So they can make a short film about him trying to get his acorn and play it everywhere without any localization. It doesn't matter if the film itself isn't so hot, the handful of Scrat sequences throughout will make it work. And any one of those sequences can be played as a trailer. I actually look forward to the next  Ice Age film because even though I have no desire to see it (I've only seen the first, in fact), it means there will be Scrat shorts as trailers.

Scrat is awesome. He's one of the best characters created for film ever.

• Like 2

Presale Numbers 5/6 (Tue) - Toho Some Theater

*Shibuya    http://hlo.tohotheat.../TNPI2000J01.do

297/297...S-A (9:30)
297/297...dub (12:15) 
297/297...dub (14:45)
297/297...dub (17:15)
118/297...dub (19:50)
  54/154...eng (21:00) 

Total 1360/1639 -  83%

183/183...dub (9:15)
183/183...dub (14:15)
168/183...dub (16:45)
127/183...dub (19:15)
183/183...S-A (11:45)
179/190...eng (10:30) 
171/190...eng (15:45)

Total 1194/1295 - 92.2% 

215/290...3d eng (10:30) 
190/290...3d eng (13:00)
167/290...3d eng (15:30)
  14/290...3d eng (21:05) 
368/404...dub (12:00)
354/404...dub (14:30)
185/404...dub (17:00)
  24/404...dub (19:30) 
    6/404...dub (22:00)
394/404...S-A (9:30) 

Total 1917/3584 - 54.4%

*Total 4471/6518 - 68.5%

*Yesterday - (5/5 (mon) presale numbers.... Total 5020/651877%)

Edited by Hans13
  • Like 1

Scrat is the entire appeal of Ice Age. He's a ridiculously well done character for worldwide consumption: there's no language barrier to get him at all. So they can make a short film about him trying to get his acorn and play it everywhere without any localization. It doesn't matter if the film itself isn't so hot, the handful of Scrat sequences throughout will make it work. And any one of those sequences can be played as a trailer. I actually look forward to the next  Ice Age film because even though I have no desire to see it (I've only seen the first, in fact), it means there will be Scrat shorts as trailers.

Scrat is awesome. He's one of the best characters created for film ever.

I have to agree with that. I've only seen 1 of the IA movies, but I've seen all the Scrat scenes.

I don't think they could ever make a Scrat movie that would work, but for short spurts of manic animation the character is perfect.

I think it was because IA3 only did $1.3m in Japan

That is surprisingly strange. None of the Ice Age films did well in Japan, but they didn't even bother releasing the 4th one? But yeah, basically the Japanese don't watch foreign animated films except for Disney/Pixar. The highest-grossing non-Disney/Pixar foreign animated film is Madagascar 3 at $25.6M.

From worldofkj.com: "Corpse, do you have an all-time list for Japan in US dollars? Google has failed me, and while the gross in Yen (as well as admissions) holds more value to me personally, it would be interesting to see how Frozen stacks up against everything else in the currency that (I'm guessing) Disney values the most."

Hahaha!! Totally true.

I stopped using a range last Thur because it looked like tohox righted itself, then it went awry again. Going back to using a 10% range 60-66 tohox for holiday/weekend. 65-70 for a weekday and 55-60 for a discount day

7.0 - 7.7m Monday

7.0 - 7.7m Week

Projection

Tues could be 10-20% lower, the final day of holiday last year dropped.

Wed-Fri could have a little strength if some people take their vacation days this week or it drops back to week 6 lows.

Sat-sun will have a big drop, does it hold above OW one more time with competition fading and extra seats?

With the massive Monday its looking like the winner will be found in upper end of the range.

Predictions

Damienroc 24.601m
Murgatroyd 23.10
Mfantin 22.98
Cynosure  22.70
Omni 22.22
Godzilla   22.00
Quigley 21.65
Rysu   21.21
Incardine 21.12
SanComedian 20.70
Hans13   20.50