Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Corpse

Weekend Forecast (11/22-23)

01 (--) ¥260 million ($2.3 million), 0, ¥260 million ($2.3 million), Miracle: Devil Claus' Love and Magic (Toho) NEW
02 (--) ¥225 million ($2.0 million), 0, ¥225 million ($2.0 million), Interstellar (Warner Bros.) NEW

03 (01) ¥115 million ($1.0 million), -36%, ¥475 million ($4.2 million), As the Gods Will (Toho) Week 2
04 (02) ¥96 million ($0.84 million), -28%, ¥380 million ($3.3 million), Pale Moon (Shochiku) Week 2
05 (--) ¥75 million ($0.66 million), 0, ¥75 million ($0.66 million), Attack on Titan Season 1 Recap SP: Crimson Bow & Arrow (Pony Canyon) NEW
06 (03) ¥64 million ($0.56 million), -25%, ¥830 million ($7.3 million), Beauty and the Beast (Gaga) Week 4
07 (--) ¥60 million ($0.52 million), 0, ¥60 million ($0.52 million), Mindset (Toei) NEW
08 (--) ¥55 million ($0.48 million), 0, ¥55 million ($0.48 million), Journey to the West Goma Hen (Nikkatsu/Toho-Towa) NEW

09 (04) ¥49 million ($0.43 million), -30%, ¥750 million ($6.6 million), Clover (Toho) Week 4
10 (05) ¥47 million ($0.41 million), -32%, ¥400 million ($3.5 million), Twilight Sarasa Saya (Warner Bros.) Week 3

We finally have a pretty good weekend ahead after the drought that October and the first-half of November brought with them.

Miracle has numerous stage greetings today which will give it an overwhelming victory today (Saturday), but the stage greetings numbers are trailing those of last year's The Girl in the Sunny Place which opened at a similar time. In admissions, it's very likely to win the weekend, but if it falls hard enough on Sunday, the top spot could be a close race.

Interstellar has so-so morning/afternoon ticket sales and will have to overperform in the evening/night if it wants to debut in 1st place. I originally thought it would do Gravity numbers with a debut over ¥300 million ($3 million), and a total around ¥3 billion ($30 million), but it's not looking too hot right now. I really hope it's backloaded since besides Big Hero 6 next month, Hollywood literally has nothing interesting until next year. Almost their entire Nov/Dec. slate was moved to 2015 (and Mockingjay Part 1 isn't receiving a theatrical release in Japan either after the first two films bombed).

The season 1 recap of the Attack on Titan anime is only playing on 52 screens, but its massive fanbase will give it a proper opening despite it just being a recap of the first 12 or 13 episodes of the anime. These recaps will prepare fans for the big budget live-action films coming next Summer.
Edited by eren jaeger
  • Like 4

Corpse

Weekend Forecast (11/22-23)

01 (--) ¥260 million ($2.3 million), 0, ¥260 million ($2.3 million), Miracle: Devil Claus' Love and Magic (Toho) NEW
02 (--) ¥225 million ($2.0 million), 0, ¥225 million ($2.0 million), Interstellar (Warner Bros.) NEW

03 (01) ¥115 million ($1.0 million), -36%, ¥475 million ($4.2 million), As the Gods Will (Toho) Week 2
04 (02) ¥96 million ($0.84 million), -28%, ¥380 million ($3.3 million), Pale Moon (Shochiku) Week 2
05 (--) ¥75 million ($0.66 million), 0, ¥75 million ($0.66 million), Attack on Titan Season 1 Recap SP: Crimson Bow & Arrow (Pony Canyon) NEW
06 (03) ¥64 million ($0.56 million), -25%, ¥830 million ($7.3 million), Beauty and the Beast (Gaga) Week 4
07 (--) ¥60 million ($0.52 million), 0, ¥60 million ($0.52 million), Mindset (Toei) NEW
08 (--) ¥55 million ($0.48 million), 0, ¥55 million ($0.48 million), Journey to the West Goma Hen (Nikkatsu/Toho-Towa) NEW

09 (04) ¥49 million ($0.43 million), -30%, ¥750 million ($6.6 million), Clover (Toho) Week 4
10 (05) ¥47 million ($0.41 million), -32%, ¥400 million ($3.5 million), Twilight Sarasa Saya (Warner Bros.) Week 3

We finally have a pretty good weekend ahead after the drought that October and the first-half of November brought with them.

Miracle has numerous stage greetings today which will give it an overwhelming victory today (Saturday), but the stage greetings numbers are trailing those of last year's The Girl in the Sunny Place which opened at a similar time. In admissions, it's very likely to win the weekend, but if it falls hard enough on Sunday, the top spot could be a close race.

Interstellar has so-so morning/afternoon ticket sales and will have to overperform in the evening/night if it wants to debut in 1st place. I originally thought it would do Gravity numbers with a debut over ¥300 million ($3 million), and a total around ¥3 billion ($30 million), but it's not looking too hot right now. I really hope it's backloaded since besides Big Hero 6 next month, Hollywood literally has nothing interesting until next year. Almost their entire Nov/Dec. slate was moved to 2015 (and Mockingjay Part 1 isn't receiving a theatrical release in Japan either after the first two films bombed).

The season 1 recap of the Attack on Titan anime is only playing on 52 screens, but its massive fanbase will give it a proper opening despite it just being a recap of the first 12 or 13 episodes of the anime. These recaps will prepare fans for the big budget live-action films coming next Summer.

This year the Japanese box office has been very unfriendly to Hollywood films that weren't

1. Animated films (just Frozen basically)
  2. Disney fairy tale (Maleficent did well so Cinderella should be all right)
  3. Spiderman (most popular Hollywood SH in Japan)
  4. Godzilla (Based on original Japanese film

Beginning of a new trend?

• Like 2

This year the Japanese box office has been very unfriendly to Hollywood films that weren't

1. Animated films (just Frozen basically)
  2. Disney fairy tale (Maleficent did well so Cinderella should be all right)
  3. Spiderman (most popular Hollywood SH in Japan)
  4. Godzilla (Based on original Japanese film

Beginning of a new trend?

Cinderella should do great, especially if the rumors of the Frozen short being attached to it are true.

The trend is that Hollywood movies rarely breakout in Japan. But it has been like that for a long time now since Japanese people don't go to movie theaters much, especially with its declining population. :ph34r:

Edited by Mojoguy

Cinderella should do great, especially if the rumors of the Frozen short being attached to it are true.

The trend is that Hollywood movies rarely breakout in Japan. But it has been like that for a long time now since Japanese people don't go to movie theaters much, especially with its declining population. :ph34r:

Yes but at least last year you had original films such as Ted and gravity putting up some good numbers. This year there's been nothing like that.

Corpse

Weekend Ranking (11/22-23)

01 (--) Interstellar (Warner Bros.) DEBUT
02 (--) Miracle: Devil Claus' Magic and Love (Toho) DEBUT

03 (01) As the Gods Will (Toho) Week 2
04 (02) Pale Moon (Shochiku) Week 2
05 (--) Attack on Titan Season 1 SP: Crimson Bow & Arrow (Pony Canyon) DEBUT
06 (--) Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons (Nikkatsu/Toho-Towa) DEBUT

07 (03) Beauty and the Beast (Gaga) Week 4
08 (04) Clover (Toho) Week 4
09 (--) Mindset (Toei) DEBUT
10 (05) Twilight Sarasa Saya (Warner Bros.) Week 3

Well, what was looking like a fairly exciting weekend (compared to the last 2 months...) ended up disappointing.

>Interstellar pulls off the #1 debut, but brought in a disappointing ¥193,389,300 ($1.70 million) with 137,490 admissions on 512 screens. The opening is 36% behind Gravity and 25% behind Edge of Tomorrow. Reviews look a bit mixed, and with a long running time, it's probably not going to have great legs. It'll reach the ¥1 billion milestone (~$9/10 million), but even ¥1.5 billion (~$13/15 million) will prove very difficult.

>Miracle: Devil Claus' Magic and Love also disappointed, earning just ¥183,291,500 ($1.61 million) with 133,390 admissions on 302 screens. Given the opening is inflated from stage greetings on Saturday, this isn't very good at all. Seldom do films with stage greetings on opening weekend have much holding ability. It's probably just barely going to break the ¥1 billion milestone (~$9/10 million) itself.

>Attack on Titan: Crimson Bow and Arrow is the only actual highlight of the weekend. The compilation film recapping the first half of Season 1 of the hit anime, is only playing on 53 screens, but managed a Top 5 debut anyway. Pony Canyon hasn't released any figures for the weekend yet, however. It has to be above Journey to the West, though.

The second compilation film recapping the second half of Season 1 opens in the Spring, and will be followed by two big budget live-action films in the Summer. And those are the ones to keep an eye on as they could be really big.

>Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons received a very wide release for a Chinese released of 347 screens, but wasn't able to take advantage of them or of its huge success from China last year. Stephen Chow's fantastical box-office smash just earned ¥62,393,900 ($547,000) with 49,540 admissions over the weekend.

>And finally, Mindset is the latest live-action disappointment for distributor Toei. Playing on 195 screens, it took in a measly ¥42,057,600 ($368,000) with 31,113 admissions. Honestly, if they didn't have the Kamen Rider franchise and hit anime films like One Piece, Dragon Ball or Pretty Cure, their live-action film slate would likely be killing them.

Here's to hoping Takashi Yamazaki strikes once again at the box-office with Parasyte Part 1 this upcoming weekend, following his major blockbuster returns for The Eternal Zero and Stand By Me, Doraemon from this past year.
  • Like 1

Corpse

Interstellar bombing, basically, is yet another huge disappointment from Warner Bros..

Warner Bros. has been doing exceptionally well with their Japanese films over the past few years now, with this year being better than ever, but it's almost like Japanese audiences are rejecting everything from Hollywood they've released since Harry Potter concluded. Everything has either flat out bombed or has ended up a big disappointment since 2011.

• Like 1

There's been so much buzz over "About Time" in Japan among women, I'd expected the results there to be good but last time I checked it was nothing amazing.

"Big Hero 6", "Parasyte" and the "Naruto" movie will be huge. Also, "Ao Haru Ride" will probably have an AMAZING first week.

There's been so much buzz over "About Time" in Japan among women, I'd expected the results there to be good but last time I checked it was nothing amazing.

"Big Hero 6", "Parasyte" and the "Naruto" movie will be huge. Also, "Ao Haru Ride" will probably have an AMAZING first week.

Nothing amazing is an understatement, BoM has it at $1,667,751 gross. About time was a 2013 film, that Japan release date was crazy late even by their standards.

How do you measure buzz in Japan anyway?

With the Frozen craze still fresh in people's mind,

Actually, I wonder now whether this has contributed to the "animation fatigue" (or of family movies in general) that some have theorized with regard to the DOM market. Even if there is any truth to this, it would not necessarily apply to Japan, but you never know for sure.

the amazing popularity of Disney brand in Japan, and the excellent reviews of BH6 I think this is possible.

I think so, too.

How do you measure buzz in Japan anyway?

I work at social media and "About Time" mentions was huge in Japan, especially on Instagram. It was also recommended by lots of influencers (i.e.: famous models/trendsetters among Japanese women). But yeah, all the buzz did not translate into B.O. money.

The fact it was released late makes zero difference though. It's not like the Japanese public really cares about movies release outside Japan, especially "About Time"-type of movies. Plus, the culture of downloading Torrents or streaming movies is almost inexistent there.

• Like 1

I work at social media and "About Time" mentions was huge in Japan, especially on Instagram. It was also recommended by lots of influencers (i.e.: famous models/trendsetters among Japanese women). But yeah, all the buzz did not translate into B.O. money.

The fact it was released late makes zero difference though. It's not like the Japanese public really cares about movies release outside Japan, especially "About Time"-type of movies. Plus, the culture of downloading Torrents or streaming movies is almost inexistent there.

Yeah I was just surprised by how late they released it, wasn't suggesting it had anything to do with the poor box office returns. 

It's interesting conundrum though. I read a great article the other day that showed a graph representing a clear correlation between twitter buzz and the box office performance of interstellar in South Korea, spiking towards the weekends and everything. Perhaps the bond between box office and the social network isn't as apparent in Japan.