Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

I don't believe one iota that 3D is the culprit. Just last year DH2 made over $100m million. Maybe it hurts a bit but you don't lose 80% of your audience because of it.

2010 and 2011 were big years for 3D. Films were getting 80-90% 3D shares, but it all changed late 2011. No major released had a 3D share above 50% last year except for Resident Evil IV. And that's even with 70% or more of their screens being in 3D.And don't forget Harry Potter was a major franchise. Hollywood had nothing comparable in 2012. Edited by Corpse

You know the year is up over last year, right? And more films grossed over 1 billion yen than in any other year besides 2005?

The market was almost flat during the last decade, a small increase doesn't change anything. This market will decrease, it already decreases in the videogames and electronics market since 2007, I don't make up, it's just an economic reality : the aging and decrease of the population reduces the size of the market and opportunities for the future.You can try to ignore it, but this reality won't change, I love Japan and its culture too but it's not a reason to be blind about the demographic changes there.
  • Like 1

Something doesn't just change so drastically in a few months.

This year Japan came back in recession and the last elections revealed a real rise of Japanese nationalism.According to many experts, like the CEO of Rakuten, the Japanese youth is the least open-minded in decades :

Look at the aging demographics and the economy of Japan, says Mikitani, and the writing is on the wall for corporate Japan. Growth, he says, can only happen if Japanese companies go outside of the country for expansion and look for opportunities outside of Japan's famously produced cars and electronics."I felt (sic) those kind of ages is over. Now we need to really dramatically change the structure of economy of Japan and IT is going to be an extremely important part of it," says Mikitani."But none of the Japanese... for example, politicians, truly understands from the bottom of the heart, how important that is."Mikitani feels the two decades-long economic stagnation for Japan has fundamentally affected the country's young, which spells trouble for the country's future."Japanese society, especially younger people, are so inward looking. They don't even want to go to other countries. They want to stay here. They want to have a good life, they don't want to be rich. They want to have a good day to day life. That's it. And I think we need to be more sort of dynamic, outward looking," he says.http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/11/15/ilist.japan.englishization/index.html

Reality my friends, reality...

Are there any numbers for this weekend yet? I think BD2 opened here this weekend, didn't it?

No weekend numbers yet, New Year will delay things for a bit.Breaking Dawn 2 probably opened similar to it's predecessor though between ~75-100 million ($1-1.2 million). The Twilight series has never been big, the books or films.

In the long term your reasoning will hold weight, but your explanation is weak right now when Japan just had 60 (maybe more) films earn over 1 billion yen, the most ever for Japanese films and second highest overall behind 2005 . Distributor Toho is set to have it's biggest year on record with ~75 billion ($900 million+), that's bigger than several major markets (70% of Russia's total yearly box office, too), series films set franchise milestones (i.e. Doraemon this year became the highest grossing and most attended film ever after 33 films), and they just had One Piece open with 1 million+ admissions the first film in nearly 6 years to achieve this. The Japanese Box Office is stronger than ever, it's the Hollywood releases that are declining and have been since 2006, although their 2D releases did well in 2012. MI4 increased over MI3, The Dark Knight Rises increased over The Dark Knight, Sherlock Holmes 2 matched Sherlock Holmes, and there were notable performances by In Time and Dark Shadows, too. The same can't be said for the 3D releases, they all bombed/disappointed or decreased from their predecessors except for The Avengers.2012 was ALWAYS going to be bad for Hollywood, though. I stated this before the year even began. They simply had NO blockbusters being released, and now that Harry Potter is over (which was constantly at the top of the box office for them), Pirates of the Caribbean sequels being pushed back too far, they're going to struggle for awhile until they find a new fantasy franchise.

Edited by Corpse

My main WTF is why did Hobbit lose that many people since ROTK. No combination of external factors can have such a huge effect. It simply must be that they don't consider this as a movie in the same series and didn't give a shit.

Edited by Elessar

My main WTF is why did Hobbit lose that many people since ROTK. No combination of external factors can have such a huge effect. It simply must be that they don't consider this as a movie in the same series and didn't give a shit.

It's Terminator 4 all over again. That film saw a 70%+ decrease from Terminator 3. Different cast, long delay between films, and poor reviews. Exact same situation with The Hobbit. Relasing the film at the same time as the rest of the world may have been a negative factor too, all the Lord of the Rings films were released 3 months later. Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

I can see where this statement is coming from but it's not really Hollywood films. Every 2D Hollywood film did very well last year, it's the 3D releases that disappointed. 3D is a major hindrance in the market and Hollywood needs to address it if they want to remain competitive in Japan. Local studios saw this early on when Kaibutsu Kun, Inazuma Eleven, and Always 3 did less than expected, and haven't released any 3D films since Jan. 2012, and no 3D films have been announced for 2013. 3D is literally preventing people from going to the movies it seems.

I love Japanese people's taste. :wub:
  • Like 1

12/29-30

Weekend Ranking (Admissions)

1 (1) One Piece Film Z (Toei) Week 3 (→)

2 (2) Les Miserables (Toho-Towa) Week 2 (→)

3 (3) Today, I Started Loving You (Toho) Week 4 (→)

4 (4) 007: Skyfall (Sony) Week 5 (→)

5 (7) Humanoid Monster, Bem (Toho) Week 3 (↑)

6 (-) Blue Exorcist: The Movie (Toho) NEW!

7 (5) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros.) Week 3 (↓)

8 (6) Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Fourze & Wizard (Toei) Week 4 (↓)

9 (-) The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 (Kadokawa Pictures) NEW!

10 (9) Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (T-Joy) Week 6 (↓)

11 (10) Frankenweenie (Disney) Week 3 (↓)