Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Now, it's a matter of concern that Conan is receiving less shows nationwide. Some suggesting that it's because FB3 need to save on 2nd WKend. TOHO Cinemas Shinjuku has added additional 1 show, totalling to 32 times vs 43 times of last year 😭😭

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

It's not getting as many shows because there are other movies that can use them unlike last year and it doesn't need that many. Getting that many screens didn't really improve its admissions last year so there's no reason to do it again. It already has enough.

Edited by JustLurking

18 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It's not getting as many shows because there are other movies that can use them unlike last year and it doesn't need that many. Getting that many screens didn't really improve its admissions last year so there's no reason to do it again. It already has enough.

That's quite understandable but some of these reactions are sensing my tense 😬. Shinjuku added an additional show. Well, unless it's filling up crazy on those 32 shows, it isn't necessary to add shows. How does it look to you? Will it improves or will it see some decline by 5% or so..

2019 Conan : ¥1,886,292,700 /1,458,263 attendees 

2021 Conan : ¥2,218,130,800 /1,533,054 attendees 

Edited by Issac Newton

Presales aren't live yet as far as I can tell other than the midnight shows which look good to me. The 2019/2021 admissions are similar, it will probably be in the same ballpark again, a similar debut as the 2021 film will probably lead it to a 10 billion finish anyway since it won't have covid restrictions this time and with DBS moving it's basically going to have complete control of screens during golden week. Getting that sort of distribution is useless unless it's Mugen Train and can actually make use of it, conan only sold about 29% of its seats last year so it's not necessary to cut off other films just to give it more.

• Like 1

Seat Share on OP (Sat-Sun) in %

Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet : 59.7%

Demon Slayer Mugen Train : 57.8%

Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 : 48.7%

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 : Thrice Upon A Time : 43.4%

Frozen II : 42.2%

Comparison:

Avg. No. Of Screening per location

■ Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet : 23.7 times

■ Demon Slayer Mugen Train : 22.4 times

■ Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 : 17.6 times

■ Evangelion 3.0+1.0 : Thrice Upon A Time : 15.1 times

■ Frozen II : 14.6 times

Avg. No. of Seats in each shows

▶ Frozen II : 287.7 seats

▶ Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 : 280.0 seats

▶ Detective Conan The Scarlet Bullet : 256.9 seats

▶ Demon Slayer Mugen Train : 252.4 seats

▶ Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time : 250.9 seats

Edited by Issac Newton

Last year we got Detective Conan here within a week from its release in Japan. There was even an early screening before the official release date. I was so happy because I thought we didn't have to wait for months anymore. But this year, we've heard nothing about it so far. Are we back to several months delay for its international release?

Edited by catlover

29 minutes ago, catlover said:

Are we back to several months delay for its international release?

Last Year, it was release simultaneously under "TOHO Special Permission Release in Response to CoVid-19 Delay". This time it will release under "Japanese Film Standard Overseas Release" protocol, so it will be released after two-three in Overseas. So far, Only Taiwan has an official date on 30 June 2022.

19 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Last Year, it was release simultaneously under "TOHO Special Permission Release in Response to CoVid-19 Delay". This time it will release under "Japanese Film Standard Overseas Release" protocol, so it will be released after two-three in Overseas. So far, Only Taiwan has an official date on 30 June 2022.

I'm dreading the delay for Shinkai's new movie, Your Name released in the November after the August Release here in the UK, while Weathering With You was January. We had to wait until February this year for Belle.

16 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm dreading the delay for Shinkai's new movie, Your Name released in the November after the August Release here in the UK, while Weathering With You was January. We had to wait until February this year for Belle.

It depends on Licensor (Studio) If we all allow every film (anime) to go on simultaneous release then some of mischievous people will cam-rip, &you all will watch on your phone. I have already seen many people here who prefer phone over screen. Overall, destroying all the Overseas collection. Therefore, first Asia (Mainly, Taiwan, Korea or China are either of the first Overseas market), then Oceania, then Europe and North America. Lastly, Middle East and South America.

Likewise, I expect Suzume's Locking-Up to arrive sometime in February - March 2022 in UK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

It depends on Licensor (Studio) If we all allow every film (anime) to go on simultaneous release then some of mischievous people will cam-rip, &you all will watch on your phone. I have already seen many people here who prefer phone over screen. Overall, destroying all the Overseas collection. Therefore, first Asia (Mainly, Taiwan, Korea or China are either of the first Overseas market), then Oceania, then Europe and North America. Lastly, Middle East and South America.

Likewise, I expect Suzume's Locking-Up to arrive sometime in February - March 2022 in UK.

South America always getting ***** up in everything lol

2021 Conan was the only Japanese Film till date to receive simultaneous release in 22 countries including Mainland China (1st preview /Sat was OD) I wish we could get another one like this but Studio have huge concern over Piracy in English-speaking Countries 😰

3 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

South America always getting ***** up in everything lol

It's because we basically earn zero if we look SAO or Belle. No revenue in return to Studio. So, basically need a big breakout in the region to reconsider a better release Strategy in South America, like Dragon Ball. Therefore, Studio consider fan screenings for film like Sing Me A Harmony, Ryoma, Jose The Tiger & The Fish.

Whatever, for the 1st Time, Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 is releasing in a lottttttt of African countries like Chad, Madagascar, Niger, Congo... Now, I honestly don't know how much they are earning on those region 💀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

February/March sounds realistic for sure. A lot of anime is released in the UK either via Anime Limited such as Belle recently or by Sony such as Jujutsu Kaisen Zero. So long as Suzume goes via one of them it shouldn't be a dramatic wait, just wish it was still within 2022.

Shinkai Movies in UK

Weathering With You : £506,830 (Full Run in Three Weeks)

Your Name : £204,411 (Full Run in Two Weeks)

This time Suzume's Locking-Up should reach £1M or else, next film will be a fan screening (joking)

Recent Movies in UK

Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 : £1.4M

Belle : £310,280 

Sing Me A Harmony : £21,235

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Shinkai Movies in UK

Weathering With You : £506,830 (Full Run in Three Weeks)

Your Name : £204,411 (Full Run in Two Weeks)

This time Suzume's Locking-Up should reach £1M or else, next film will be a fan screening (joking)

Recent Movies in UK

Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 : £1.4M

Belle : £310,280 

Sing Me A Harmony : £21,235

Your Name definitely got over £1m total, it was very wide for anime, plus got IMAX screenings that were really busy all over the country the following summer