AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

Reviews remind me of KFP2, which is a good sign. I'll be seeing it opening weekend (after Prometheus, of course). But I honestly don't think quality will matter here. Good or bad, it has two weeks of play before Pixar shows up. Given this month's box office I guess Paramount was right in that May 18th wasn't as good a release date as June 8th. No point in competing with itself for this weekend. I still think it would have done incredibly well at the end of March with months of an empty kids market at its hands.

This guy predicts 84m OW, we'll see what happens...http://scottalanmend...ees-coming.html

Unfortunately I'm starting to get a bad feeling that this will have a much bigger OW than most of us are expecting just because kids have been deprived of any real kids movie since March (Pirates basically doesn't count). 84m is ridiculous though, that's not happening. I think 60m unfortunately could though. I just hope it plummets once Brave hits.

No way. Is that guy even credible? A "hunch". He mentions Mars Needs Moms and Hoodwinked 2 as if they were ever going to be hits. Rio did expected, so did Rango only Hop broke out to an extent.Anyway, it seems like the market has set itself up for it, but it won't happen because M3 looks terrible and people have been turned off by the first two. I didn't see Wrath of the Titans breaking out after a dearth of manly movies and the floppage of John Carter.

I don't know what the movie will make but I'm pretty sure it won't tank as some are predicting or hoping. I know the sequel overall made less than the original domestically but the second exceeded the 1st OW (47m vs 63m). I could be wrong about this but I think the M1 being a summer movie and M2 a fall movie could be a contributing factor that may explain the decline in the overall domestic numbers.We'll see what happens soon enough but I don't think DWA will be focusing so much on the results here as much as the overseas numbers.

No way. Is that guy even credible? A "hunch".

He mentions Mars Needs Moms and Hoodwinked 2 as if they were ever going to be hits.

Rio did expected, so did Rango only Hop broke out to an extent.

Anyway, it seems like the market has set itself up for it, but it won't happen because M3 looks terrible and people have been turned off by the first two. I didn't see Wrath of the Titans breaking out after a dearth of manly movies and the floppage of John Carter.

The two movies above 180M DOM and 530M WW, the first one has a o4 multiplier and the second have a opening above 60M

yes right...

OW: 55.0

DOM: 170.0

WW: 750.0

Edited by Goffe Rises

What kids actually get turned off by their animated films? Some of you kill me, you really do.

Um duh? :wacko: You really think if kids dislike a movie they're gonna be chomping at the bit to see the sequel? What makes you think it's any different for them than with anyone else? Just like bad WOM follows a sequel with any other movie, it certainly can with animation too (hello Shrek 4!). I don't understand why some people think kids are like robots or something who are incapable of forming their own opinions or thinking for themselves. A kid does not automatically love every movie that's made for them, of that I can assure you.
  • Like 2

Um duh? :wacko: You really think if kids dislike a movie they're gonna be chomping at the bit to see the sequel? What makes you think it's any different for them than with anyone else? Just like bad WOM follows a sequel with any other movie, it certainly can with animation too (hello Shrek 4!). I don't understand why some people think kids are like robots or something who are incapable of forming their own opinions or thinking for themselves. A kid does not automatically love every movie that's made for them, of that I can assure you.

I supose it is just a little bit different with kids. Most kids won't pay for the tickets out of their own pocket (movie budget?) So they would rather go in any movie offered to them (except they really hate it) So it would be a mix of their benefactors decision or how much the kids clamor for the movie.

Yep. I mean, I made my share of regrettable entertainment picks when I was a kid, but I remember being able to pick out a few duds here and there. One I remember the most is A Troll in Central Park. That just looked immensely unappealing.