AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

You can't compare last years box office to this one. Madagascar is opening in June when kids get out of school. It will also be the first big animated film to come out since Lorax (I'm not including the Pirates Misfit movie). KFP I can't explain the opening, but the film was kind of shit so the gross makes sense. This at least looks funny and it looks like it's a film kids will want to see.

Lol, KFP2, was not shit. It got great public reception and legs, it was that awful, horrid OW that was the problem. I still have no idea what happened there. Except last year sucked for animation at the box office especially, and DWA really dropped the ball on marketing with it. Edited by MovieMan89

When ICE AGE: CD opens, it's not BRAVE that's going to lose (3D) screens. It's this.

Obviously. This year the Summer animation movies are being released very closely or it is just me?

I'm surprised of the lack of animated/children's movies at this point of time, last year by this time we had Gnomeo, Rango, Hop and Rio. This year The Lorax is the only major release of the genre. They should have move this movie earlier

I'm surprised of the lack of animated/children's movies at this point of time, last year by this time we had Gnomeo, Rango, Hop and Rio. This year The Lorax is the only major release of the genre. They should have move this movie earlier

Why move a film into a slot where kids are still in school? Why not just release it when they get out? June is a much better slot than anything in May.

Why move a film into a slot where kids are still in school? Why not just release it when they get out? June is a much better slot than anything in May.

A lot of animated films were released in May and did fine in the box office plus it will still enjoy good legs in June when the kids are not in school anymore. It's not a bad release date per se but I think they missed an opportunity to have a stronger overall run when they pulled this out in May. But then there's a possibility that with no major animated/children's movie in 2 months, the appetite will be huge when this opens in June and could have a strong OW that could make up in case the legs wont be good Edited by forg

I think ParaNorman's far enough away from everything else that nothing's going to have an effect on it.

True. But the demand might be satiated already by the time of its release. In 2013 it's more crowded. You have a Fox film in May, a Pixar one in June, a Universal movie in July and just a few weeks after you have one from DW. These are big ones.