hasanahmad

Tuesday box office estimates 5/23/2012 Avengers 4.8 BS 2.2 Dictator 2.1

It's your right, but that's a silly statement. TA made more in 14 days than THG will make in its entire run. Great late legs is impressive, but it can't compete with that.

In sheer numbers of course it's easy to say TA is more massive.But THG has a bigger shock factor. It originally was expected to open with roughly 1/3 of what it actually made OW. Ditto domestic tally. Then when it did open to 150m+, people were calling for terrible legs and huge drops but now it's headed for 2.7x and 400m+.

Hmm...I use to think THG run was more impressive but it looks like TA will have a 3.0+ multiplier from its galactic 207 million opening so I have to give it to TA.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. There are still plenty of opportunities for TA to implode, starting from this weekend. :D

In sheer numbers of course it's easy to say TA is more massive.But THG has a bigger shock factor. It originally was expected to open with roughly 1/3 of what it actually made OW. Ditto domestic tally. Then when it did open to 150m+, people were calling for terrible legs and huge drops but now it's headed for 2.7x and 400m+.

TA has a shot at 3.0 x which is shocking for an uber blockbuster. Edited by druv10

I have to give The Avengers the edge over THG in terms of impressiveness. I just wish more info on TA's 3D share was given out. It would be helpful in letting us know where this would rank among all-time comic book ticket sellers like SM1 and TDK. I'm sure TA will get close to those two when it's all said and done which is amazing considering the advantages those films had.THG is still one of the best BO performances I've seen in the past 5 years. 400m for this is absolutely crazy to think about, with no 3D and a very limited IMAX run. This was not a cheater in any way.2012 has given us two legendary BO performances already. Let the good times roll. B)

Well I have to say The Avengers was a bigger shock for me. I didn't think that it would beat the THG. But I get what you're saying.

Sorry, they are already counted.

and still counting, lol. Cha ching

Of course Hunger Games is more impressive. This is a superhero country, and THG is set outgross every superhero flick except TA and TDK - that counts for something.

We're finally in agreement on something, lol.

Some people had 130M+ including you while BKB and Mav were the only ones with 200M OW prediction for TA. TA has very good shot at surpassing THG's multiplier which would be shockingly good.

Of course Hunger Games is more impressive. This is a superhero country, and THG is set outgross every superhero flick except TA and TDK - that counts for something.

You forgot SM1. Its not a guarantee that THG will surpass it.

The fact that TA got over 200m in its OW wasn't as impressive as the way it got it. People were starting to think a 100m OD was going to come before a 200m OW the way films have gotten so frontloaded with midnight openings. It was really cool to see a film start out with a still huge 80m, more than 11m from the OD record, and destroy the OW record by 38m. TA's Saturday and Sunday performances are the highlight of its run.

• Like 3

The fact that TA got over 200m in its OW wasn't as impressive as the way it got it. People were starting to think a 100m OD was going to come before a 200m OW the way films have gotten so frontloaded with midnight openings. It was really cool to see a film start out with a still huge 80m, more than 11m from the OD record, and destroy the OW record by 38m. TA's Saturday and Sunday performances are the highlight of its run.

Yeah that was crazy.

I agree. Saturday number was more impressive than Friday and than Sunday took the cake. Only 17% drop in freaking early May with both schools and universities still in session.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. There are still plenty of opportunities for TA to implode, starting from this weekend. :D

Say it does for some reason, implode this weekend, it still won't miss $500m.Also, that doesn't take away the $207m OW, the $103m second weekend, or the $1.2B it has made worldwide. It would also still have better legs than DH2, New Moon, and BD1.So you can keep on keeping on with your silly self, or give it up and move on.
  • Like 4

The Avengers has 3D, 5 movies to build up demand, two major studios backing it up, one of the biggest budgets of all time (both production and marketing), a very high profile cast, a well known and liked director who's build up a rabid fanbase due to the TV shows he's made, a better release date, and was basically expected by everyone to be in the top 2 or 3 of the year.The Hunger Games had none of that, yet it opened with the 3rd highest opening weekend ever and is on track to 400m.

• Like 3