Plain Old Tele

Classic films, recommended!

Here's an idea: you mention a modern film you like, I (or others) will recommend a classic* that you might enjoy, based off the movie you liked.* for the purposes of this thread, I'm gonna define "classic" as older than 25 years, so that means movies released in '87 or earlier. Though to be fun, I'll try to also recommend ones that are 50 years or older ('62 and earlier).So, for example, if you said you liked SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN, I might recommend LADY HAWKE (1985), with Michelle Pfeiffer and Rutger Hauer as lovers cursed to be be apart forever (by day, a spell turns her into a hawk while he remains a man, and by night the same spell turns him into a wolf while transforming her back into a lady).It's a great way to explore new films you might not've seen, and who knows! You might even discover a new favorite.

^Singin' in the Rain.

I actually did just recently watch Singin in the Rain on the very recommendation that if I liked the Artist I really should see it. Funnily enough I greatly preferred The Artist! I definitely can see how it was greatly influenced by it though.

Coolio and MovieMan have the right idea. The point isn't necessarily to suggest a modern classic -- just mention any recent movie you liked and then others can recommend an older film for you.For THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES, try THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962), starring Jimmy Stewart, directed by John Ford. Or RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, by Peckinpah. ELF.... I'd say EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, but that's too recent! Give A CHRISTMAS STORY (1983) a shot.