Biggestgeekever

4 day Actuals pg 62+; MIB3 69.25m TA 47.22m

if a theater is digital 3D and 2D movies can play in the same auditorium, they can just switch between the moviesbut i think if it is not a digital theater, yes there are certain auditoriums with 3D capability and the 3D movie out at the time, TASM and Ice Age 4, would get that room and TDKR couldn't have it

Edited by film2kz

Really? That's quite amazing. So MIB could be in for quite the bump?

MIB3 did high 800's while TA did mid 400's on Friday so both are looking at bumps. question is how does it extrapolate to rest of north American market.

Yeah, no kidding. It's just fucking crazy when you consider how much they actually need to make in order to break even. So many movies these days have ridiculous budgets that no one in their right mind would think, "Yeah, that movie will obviously break even."

There have been more $100m+ budgets than one might think by simply looking at production budgets. We are adjusting boxoffice grosses for inflation but not budgets. For example, Juassic Park did not cost a mere $75 million to produce, not in 2012 dollars. Edited by lilmac

We are adjusting boxoffice grosses for inflation but not budgets. For example, Juassic Park did not cost a mere $75 million to produce, not in 2012 dollars.

You're right, it would be $120m today. So how does that justify the constant barrage of $200m budgets for movies that have no chance of being profitable at that level of cost?

You're right, it would be $120m today. So how does that justify the constant barrage of $200m budgets for movies that have no chance of being profitable at that level of cost?

When the producers are in the boardroom with studio bosses making the pitch replete with powerpoint slides, animatics, storyboards and the like they dont think its going to loss $100 million. There is a big disconnect when you are in production. You firmly believe that what you are doing is going to sell and relate to people. It sucks when the early screenings and critic reviews come in and say the opposite. Yes, delays and such can escalate budgets but oftentimes the mega budgets are due to proposals that make the case and lead all to BELIEVE that this movie is the next Star Wars.

When the producers are in the boardroom with studio bosses making the pitch replete with powerpoint slides, animatics, storyboards and the like they dont think its going to loss $100 million. There is a big disconnect when you are in production. You firmly believe that what you are doing is going to sell and relate to people. It sucks when the early screenings and critic reviews come in and say the opposite. Yes, delays and such can escalate budgets but oftentimes the mega budgets are due to proposals that make the case and lead all to BELIEVE that this movie is the next Star Wars.

Ummm no. The studios like to MAKE money.

Nobody that likes to make money spents 210M in a movie based on a board game called Battleship. Or 250M+ on a sequel to a 10 year old franchise that had a hated 2nd movie. Or 150M on one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen. I understand what you said in the post above, but those budgets make no sense.

Anything the Avengers makes at this point is icing on the cake. I know everyone would love that 600 Million but the fact this is going to be the 1st ever 500 Million May release is enough for me. But I understand cause we've never had a 600 Million Summer movie. MIB doing 18 is pretty good, I was hoping for 20 but if it does do 75 Million 4-day that was my low expectations so 200 Million will be a challenge so props to those that felt the bar was between 150-175 cause I was sure this was a lock for 200 and I still feel it is but it's going to take some legs and competition will start to roll out week after week. Everything else was pretty much Meh. Hunger games is not going to die till it gets that 400 Million, lol.

Edited by filmscholar

It's an ok start for MIB3, it's decent OD, but certainly not a hit. Can kiss goodbye to 200m. MIB4 can still happen though.

Not necessarily. Good WOM and summer weekdays can carry it to over 200 million. Not very likely but this isn't a typical sequel (10 year gap) and will behave more like a regular opener.