rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

When does he not tell a story?

I've seen parts of Tree of Life, like not a few minutes, fairly decent stretches, and I found it to be a random collection of images. It is a pretentious, nothing movie.

Will the Avengers stay, at least, in the top3 of the next weekends records?

No. Why would it?Prometheus and Madagascar will both open north of 30 mill and SWATH might fall by 50% and still beat TA. MIB will as well.

I'm curious as to how many of the people that are rapturously celebrating that "OMG! TA IS THE THIRD BIGGEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!" tried to downplay AVATAR's intital dethroning of Titanic and all others with stuff like "Big Deal! With 3D and inflation, it's not that big of a deal!" or "Well, 3D, inflation, and a totally unoriginal, safe plot will do that! At the end of the day, it still can't compare to Titanic or GWTW." Funny how when a film we love succeeds, suddenly our definition of success manages to accomodate that film's particular circumstances unquestionably.

Not sure that's the same group. TDK fans certainly were not happy about Avatar and seem equally unhappy with TA. They were not interested in "admissions" when TDK was passing movies that sold more tickets of course ;) ....and will be just as uninterested in ticket sales when TDKR is passing movies that sold more tickets.

I'm not, I've decreased the 3D/IMAX share each week.

Did you factor in the difference in child admissions? Or the difference in matinee admissions? How about the disadvantage of being released while kids are still in school? How about the growing effect of online piracy? I notice we factor in the option of home video with movies like Gone with the Wind. So that means the effect of piracy on admissions should be considered too.

Admissions seems to be the least accurate thing we have. At least we know what grosses are and have a pretty good idea of adjusted box office. After that it's just guessing with admissions.

It is kind of like cheating, especially on OW. 2D shows are the first to sell out so if you want to see the movie, you are kinda forced to see it in 3D.

"Want to see the movie" being the key phrase there. I ran into that on the 2nd weekend with TA. I hate 3d....but the group I was with decided to buy the 3D tickets instead of waiting for the next available 2D showing when the one we showed up for was sold out. Any other movie and we would have just gone back home. But TA was worth it so we made the decision to pay more. 3D is voluntary...inflation is "forced to pay more". Making more money because of 3D is way more impressive than just making more money due to inflation alone. It's a huge compliment to the movie. Does anyone have the option to pay 1980 prices?

I don't think we will ever see TI2. We are more likely to see Pixar's Avengers or Pixar take on some Marvel character. And, to be honest, from a financial perspective, that makes a lot of sense.

For some reason this sounds really cool to me. I would especially love to see Pixar try something with the Silver Surfer (I know...Marvel doesn't have those rights :( )

Yes, it can be explained. Would you say that the love for Toy Story can't be explained? Probably not. So why say it about Shrek?

Might depend on if you like it. :) I personally abhor the Shrek movies so their success befuddled me completely. I sat through Shrek 2 and laughed exactly twice while everyone roared with laughter around me. It seemed like a long series of fart and burp jokes to me. So my personal bias against it means I "can't explain it". ;)

Not sure that's the same group. TDK fans certainly were not happy about Avatar and seem equally unhappy with TA. They were not interested in "admissions" when TDK was passing movies that sold more tickets of course ;) ....and will be just as uninterested in ticket sales when TDKR is passing movies that sold more tickets.Did you factor in the difference in child admissions? Or the difference in matinee admissions? How about the disadvantage of being released while kids are still in school? How about the growing effect of online piracy? I notice we factor in the option of home video with movies like Gone with the Wind. So that means the effect of piracy on admissions should be considered too.Admissions seems to be the least accurate thing we have. At least we know what grosses are and have a pretty good idea of adjusted box office. After that it's just guessing with admissions."Want to see the movie" being the key phrase there. I ran into that on the 2nd weekend with TA. I hate 3d....but the group I was with decided to buy the 3D tickets instead of waiting for the next available 2D showing when the one we showed up for was sold out. Any other movie and we would have just gone back home. But TA was worth it so we made the decision to pay more. 3D is voluntary...inflation is "forced to pay more". Making more money because of 3D is way more impressive than just making more money due to inflation alone. It's a huge compliment to the movie. Does anyone have the option to pay 1980 prices? For some reason this sounds really cool to me. I would especially love to see Pixar try something with the Silver Surfer (I know...Marvel doesn't have those rights :( )Might depend on if you like it. :) I personally abhor the Shrek movies so their success befuddled me completely. I sat through Shrek 2 and laughed exactly twice while everyone roared with laughter around me. It seemed like a long series of fart and burp jokes to me. So my personal bias against it means I "can't explain it". ;)

But like's got nothing to do with it. I hate Shrek 2, with a passion. But its success is still easy to explain.