Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

Really bad news in Japan:

... The Hobbit ... nothing can really be said besides calling it a complete BOMB. This is far worse than when Brave and Amazing Spider-Man bombed in the Summer. A ¥200 million ($2.5 million) opening weekend is about the best it can do meaning that even with a 10x multiplier that mid/late Dec. releases sometimes get, ¥2 billion ($25) is the likely ceiling and it's probably not going to get that high. Compared to it's predecessors, it's dropping some 70/80% and maybe close to 90% in admissions. Posted Image

$1B WW with a failure in Japan? Pretty hard..

It's funny, few months ago the hype was huge. You people don't have a clue.

No, he's probably right. It failed in Japan, it was ok in South Korea..Given China has a similar culture to these countries we can't expect a big success in China, that wouldn't be realistic.

Some markets are yet to open including Russia, China and Australia. They all can do 45-50m each.I think 700m is still on track.

Australia won't.So you see it making over $550m off of a $140m OW from holdovers? Edited by Elessar

It's a dead market.

It's not a dead market. I don't have much time beyond the weekend these days so I don't post over here anymore, but many of your comments this weekend about the box office in Japan are dead wrong.You're basing your opnions solely on Hollywood's failure in the market this past year. Japanese films are doing all-time best figures. But really, Hollywood has been behind Japanese films since 2006, so this news isn't too surprising.Despite Hollywood failing, 2012 is up over 2011, currently has 60 films over 1 billion yen (the second highest number ever behind 2005), and will be the second biggest international market finally falling out of first place after decades thanks to China's growth.And just this weekend there's a film, One Piece, that is set to break 1 million admissions. That's an accomplishment that hasn't been done since Harry Potter 5 in 2007. The market is definitely not dead.If anything is dead in Japan, it's 3D. Every major 3D release besides The Avengers and Resident Evil V either disappointed or bombed this year. I know it's a money machine in most other countries, but Hollywood will need to limit the number of 3D screens given to their films in the future (see The Hobbit) if they want to remain competitive in Japan.
  • Like 2

It's not a dead market. I don't have much time beyond the weekend these days so I don't post over here anymore, but many of your comments this weekend about the box office in Japan are dead wrong.You're basing your opnions solely on Hollywood's failure in the market this past year. Japanese films are doing all-time best figures. But really, Hollywood has been behind Japanese films since 2006, so this news isn't too surprising.Despite Hollywood failing, 2012 is up over 2011, currently has 60 films over 1 billion yen (the second highest number ever behind 2005), and will be the second biggest international market finally falling out of first place after decades thanks to China's growth.And just this weekend there's a film, One Piece, that is set to break 1 million admissions. That's an accomplishment that hasn't been done since Harry Potter 5 in 2007. The market is definitely not dead.If anything is dead in Japan, it's 3D. Every major 3D release besides The Avengers and Resident Evil V either disappointed or bombed this year. I know it's a money machine in most other countries, but Hollywood will need to limit the number of 3D screens given to their films in the future (see The Hobbit) if they want to remain competitive in Japan.

I agree completely. But the question is, why have Hollywood movies been shunned so hard? It's not just a bad year for Hollywood, it's downright terrible.

I agree completely. But the question is, why have Hollywood movies been shunned so hard? It's not just a bad year for Hollywood, it's downright terrible.

I 100% believe it's just 3D behind it. Hollywood, or whoever is responsible, is releasing their blockbusters on so many 3D screens (usually 70% or more of the total count) that audiences just aren't going to them. All the 3D Hobbit showings aren't even reaching 50% capacity, even in the most populated areas. A few examples of this:1. Japan decided to abandon 3D for their films this year and their films are doing gangbusters with one exception: a. Always 3 was released in 3D at the beginning of the year and did much less than expected. 80% of it's screens were 3D, and yet it's 3D share was a dismal 30%. It lost so many potential moviegoers because there wasn't a 2D showing available. b. Umizaru 4 didn't gross quite as much as Umizaru 3 (which was released in 3D), but admissions were up that's pretty remarkable for a fourth film entry.2. Hollywood's biggest film in 2012 was Mission Impossible IV and it did over 5 billion yen, more than it's predecessor, and it wasn't in 3D. Had it been in 3D, I doubt it would have been that successful. Also, Skyfall is doing very well and will become the highest grossing Bond film ever. And do you know why? It's not in 3D.

Corpse, do you still believe Monsters University will do big business in Japan?

If Hollywood is smart and limits the 3D screens it should do great numbers. Surely someone in charge has to realize by now that 3D is a huge hindrance in Japan now. Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

Interesting :thinking: That is what is happening here and our distributors already started to limit the 3D version of the movies. After Avatar, every movie was exclusively released in 3D. Now, some movies are not even released in 3D at all and others have very limited releases on that format.

I 100% believe it's just 3D behind it. Hollywood, or whoever is responsible, is releasing their blockbusters on so many 3D screens (usually 70% or more of the total count) that audiences just aren't going to them. All the 3D Hobbit showings aren't even reaching 50% capacity, even in the most populated areas. A few examples of this:1. Japan decided to abandon 3D for their films this year and their films are doing gangbusters with one exception: a. Always 3 was released in 3D at the beginning of the year and did much less than expected. 80% of it's screens were 3D, and yet it's 3D share was a dismal 30%. It lost so many potential moviegoers because there wasn't a 2D showing available. b. Umizaru 4 didn't gross quite as much as Umizaru 3 (which was released in 3D), but admissions were up that's pretty remarkable for a fourth film entry.2. Hollywood's biggest film in 2012 was Mission Impossible IV and it did over 5 billion yen, more than it's predecessor, and it wasn't in 3D. Had it been in 3D, I doubt it would have been that successful. Also, Skyfall is doing very well and will become the highest grossing Bond film ever. And do you know why? It's not in 3D.If Hollywood is smart and limits the 3D screens it should do great numbers. Surely someone in charge has to realize by now that 3D is a huge hindrance in Japan now.

Thanks. Same thing happened here and afterwards 2D showings made a tremendous comeback, maybe WB will give Hobbit more 2D showings rest of it's run. To save some face.
  • Like 1