Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

$550+ mio and $740 mio show that $740 mio was an exceptional situation. My point is that TH should not be compared to that. It`s doing excatly like it`s supposed to. It`s a prequel. Numbers are respectable and in line with previous movies. Sorry that it isn`t enough for some.

Actually no. FOTR had more OS admissions than ROTK but exchange rate was in the crapper and that was the reason for the massive gap in grosses. Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

ok, find the 2003 record. RotK did have a big jump. but I'm not sure about it's the RotK being big or the whole series being big. in any event, if you do think LotR is big in HK, and consider TH1 as one...then, well, it's doing so-so business. as for the "if RotK were released today"...that's a moot point to argue since it can never be proved or disproved..

FOTR made 3.1m. TTT made 3.4m. ROTK made 4.9m. TTT and ROTK were both affected by SARS. I consider them as big movies. TH1 had a so-so opening but it does not mean it will have an average final gross. I expect a nice perk up for The Hobbit next weekend.

The bigger ROTK was in 2003, the more disappointing Hobbit it makes.

Regardless of my initial predictions for TH1, I still think it will pull out a very good gross. Edited by Bluebomb

$550+ mio and $740 mio show that $740 mio was an exceptional situation. My point is that TH should not be compared to that. It`s doing excatly like it`s supposed to. It`s a prequel. Numbers are respectable and in line with previous movies. Sorry that it isn`t enough for some.

It is not an exceptional situation, the exchange rates are still as good if not better in many markets.TPM was also a prequel.

FOTR made 3.1m. TTT made 3.4m. ROTK made 4.9m. TTT and ROTK were both affected by SARS. I consider them as big movies. TH1 had a so-so opening but it does not mean it will have an average final gross. I expect a nice perk up for The Hobbit next weekend.

Regardless of my initial predictions for TH1, I still think it will pull out a very good gross.

I'm not sure about the SARS effect; did it affect all movies in 2002 and 2003? then I don't see Infernal Affairs got affected much in 2002. I recall the SARS effect was mostly in 2003, and it's not the whole year.

anyway, as for the finale gross of TH...we'll see:)

Actually no. FOTR had more OS admissions than ROTK but exchange rate was in the crapper and that was the reason for the massive gap in grosses.

Indeed. I have mentioned this in DOM weekend numbers thread. Just with exchange rate factor (not applying inflation or 3D), the 3 LOTR movies should be in 700+ range: 750 for FOTR, 725 for TTT and 790-800 for ROTK. FOTR, as you have said, sold more admissions in many markets than ROTK: UK, Germany, France, Spain, ... And this is not an argument of a LOTR fan. It is reality. You can apply the same to HP1, HP2 or Finding Nemo, mentioning big movies released when LOTR was. Exchange rates changes lead to wrong comparisons.
  • Like 1

Indeed. I have mentioned this in DOM weekend numbers thread. Just with exchange rate factor (not applying inflation or 3D), the 3 LOTR movies should be in 700+ range: 750 for FOTR, 725 for TTT and 790-800 for ROTK. FOTR, as you have said, sold more admissions in many markets than ROTK: UK, Germany, France, Spain, ... And this is not an argument of a LOTR fan. It is reality. You can apply the same to HP1, HP2 or Finding Nemo, mentioning big movies released when LOTR was. Exchange rates changes lead to wrong comparisons.

you mean the LOTR films constantly lost popularity? That kind of sucks

you mean the LOTR films constantly lost popularity? That kind of sucks

No. I mean the three movies were quite regular, independently of epic, action or final chapter factor. If I am not wrong, FOTR sold 11 million admissions in Germany and both TTT and ROTK over 10 million. In France the three movies sold around 7 million. In Spain, FOTR reached 7 million, but TTT sold 6.4 million and ROTK 6.8. In UK, FOTR is higher adjusted than the other two, but just a 10% higher. The three movies had very similar figures in big markets. We could look at other markets where ROTK was the biggest.What I want to stress is the regularity of the franchise and to give a reason why TH could make the big numbers we had said. I always knew it would not reach the same amount of admissions than LOTR, but the drop in admissions is quite higher than I thought.

I'm not sure about the SARS effect; did it affect all movies in 2002 and 2003? then I don't see Infernal Affairs got affected much in 2002. I recall the SARS effect was mostly in 2003, and it's not the whole year.

I think both were affected. SARS would have made a bigger impact on ROTK though because tourism would be well down, theaters would shut down due to loss of business, people would still be weary about going to the theater and sitting next to others, etc.I think only the tail end of TTT's was affected. TTT didn't make much more after February, right when the first case of SARS in HK was reported.

Wow, the Israeli market is terrible in comparison, nothing ever opened over 1.5M, much less 4M, and there are more people here.

Yeah. But averege ticket here for Hobbit is 17-20$I´m thinking you are under