baumer

Weekend Estimates pg 60 Mad3 60.3 Prom 50.0

If Prometheus and Madagascar's numbers were reversed, we wouldn't be seeing the same gnashing of teeth here. The reality is Madagascar is a much more enjoyable and crowd-pleasing film and people want enjoyment and pleasure in their movies, so that's the film that's doing well.

It's more that it's the first big animated (3D) kids movie in months vs an R-rated thriller.

COME THE FUCK ON, Madagascar is a freaking family movie and has almost 1000 THEATERS more than Prometheus, so it's a logical result.If the Prometheus hate could stop, it would be nice. Incredible to see so many people incapable of letting go. The Futurist, or others, we get it that you don't like the movie, no need to RAMBLE on every fuc king time.I think MIB3 is a P.O.S, I said it once, and explained the reasons, and I stopped there, I didnt polluate the whole forum with it.Incredible to be this dense......

• Like 2

At least Prom seems to leave you with food for thought, i forgot about TA as soon as i left the theater.

Wow... what's all this hate for TA? Is it because the movie you like isn't doing as well as you hoped, so you lash out at someone else's movie?Each film should be judged on it's own. In terms of superhero flicks, sorry, TA is one of, if not the best made. Certainly it's the best ensemble to date (IMO).I have yet to see Prometheus, but the marketing makes it seem like Alien - kind of a sci-fi horror flick. Even if the movie is much more, audiences only have the trailer. And there is a limited audience for that type of film. For it to make over $50M is impressive. I hope the WOM becomes positive as it may drive more people to see it. But this attacking of one film over another is silly.
  • Like 2

Wow... what's all this hate for TA? Is it because the movie you like isn't doing as well as you hoped, so you lash out at someone else's movie?Each film should be judged on it's own. In terms of superhero flicks, sorry, TA is one of, if not the best made. Certainly it's the best ensemble to date (IMO).I have yet to see Prometheus, but the marketing makes it seem like Alien - kind of a sci-fi horror flick. Even if the movie is much more, audiences only have the trailer. And there is a limited audience for that type of film. For it to make over $50M is impressive. I hope the WOM becomes positive as it may drive more people to see it. But this attacking of one film over another is silly.

Amen on both. :hi5:

Snow White is not over performing. Not with a 175m budget and a -59% second weekend drop.

170M, not 175M, per BOM, and it will still easily cruise past double that worldwide. But when I said overperforming, I meant in relation to haterade campaign against it on the Internet. Not just the haters, but even the more professional analysts, like the BOM projection of 110 domestic, etc. Edited by rb02

It's more that it's the first big animated (3D) kids movie in months vs an R-rated thriller.

That wasn't the logic we were using for a long time before release. A lot of people (myself included) predicted Madagascar to open less than 50m. Heck, the fact that there was a club created for it to open above Prometheus implies that at least some thought there was a chance it wouldn't happen.

170M, not 175M, per BOM, and it will still easily cruise past double that worldwide. But when I said overperforming, I meant in relation to haterade campaign against it on the Internet. Not just the haters, but even the more professional analysts, like the BOM projection of 110 domestic, etc.

HA HA HA, there were just as many people predicting huge numbers like 70M opening weekend over 250M domestic

170M, not 175M, per BOM, and it will still easily cruise past double that worldwide. But when I said overperforming, I meant in relation to haterade campaign against it on the Internet.

Doubling your budget worldwide is the minimum requirement for breaking even. That's not really overperforming. And the internet hatred campaign probably had no merit in the first place...

COME THE FUCK ON, Madagascar is a freaking family movie and has almost 1000 THEATERS more than Prometheus, so it's a logical result.If the Prometheus hate could stop, it would be nice. Incredible to see so many people incapable of letting go. The Futurist, or others, we get it that you don't like the movie, no need to RAMBLE on every fuc king time.I think MIB3 is a P.O.S, I said it once, and explained the reasons, and I stopped there, I didnt polluate the whole forum with it.Incredible to be this dense......

Well it was split 50-50 in the thread I created, alot of people had Prometheus winning, so I guess alot of logic goes out the window when people want animation to fail and a R rated epic to succeed.

COME THE FUCK ON, Madagascar is a freaking family movie and has almost 1000 THEATERS more than Prometheus, so it's a logical result.

That's not the point. The point is there's a bit of grumbling over how "bad" the weekend is when there's really a lot of people going out to see a movie. They just don't seem to be going to the one people on this forum want them to.
  • Like 5

170M, not 175M, per BOM, and it will still easily cruise past double that worldwide. But when I said overperforming, I meant in relation to haterade campaign against it on the Internet. Not just the haters, but even the more professional analysts, like the BOM projection of 110 domestic, etc.

OW the DH2/TRF3 flame wars, I use this word all the time.

That's not the point. The point is there's a bit of grumbling over how "bad" the weekend is when there's really a lot of people going out to see a movie. They just don't seem to be going to the one people on this forum want them to.

Yes the weekend was fine for the openers imo. It's the next 3 holdovers that got creamed.

HA HA HA, there were just as many people predicting huge numbers like 70M opening weekend over 250M domestic

Then it underperformed in relation to the fans, including myself. But it overperformed in relation to the tracking and to the projections of the analyists. And also in relation to the haters. :)