baumer

Weekend Estimates pg 60 Mad3 60.3 Prom 50.0

Nah... What you implied was not the gross. But the fact that there's 2 50M openers. Dont make excuses. You just didnt do your research.

Actually what I got from his post was that it was a new record gross, as an aside to the fact that it would be a double 50m+ weekend. So I think you just misinterpreted his post (understandable, but you don't need to get shirty about it)

With the exception of Cloverfield, all of these flicks were utter trash, and Cloverfield was for teenagers. The worst sci-fi flick still has better legs than Watchmen. lol

So, anyway back on point. Prometheus is still going to have a tough time reaching a 3 multi, IMO. ;)

So, here is where we stand so far today, I'll include yesterday's final numbers also. MAD32D - 592(1350)3D - 377(833)Total - 969(2183)Prometheus 2D - 229(480)3D - 55(203)Total - 284(683)Chances are pretty good for Prometheus to increase. But, it could just be a correction from yesterday's lackluster numbers.

That "positive phenomenon" will fail to hit 3x multiplier, which Prometheus can do even with its mixed WOM. Comic book flicks are in a league of their own in terms of frontloading and fanboy rush factor.

lolOh, you

I'm a bit surprised about Madagascar and I guess not many people expected the third film of the series to open this well. But actually there was nothing that suggested that, if you compare the first two films on RottenTomatoes, YahooMovies, IMDB and everywhere else, people loved the second movie as much as the first. Too bad Brave is opening so soon, this film had potential, is even getting better reviews than the first two.

That "positive phenomenon" will fail to hit 3x multiplier, which Prometheus can do even with its mixed WOM. Comic book flicks are in a league of their own in terms of frontloading and fanboy rush factor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too bad Brave is opening so soon, this film had potential, is even getting better reviews than the first two.

Dreamworks kind of made their own bed there. Madagascar 3 had long been scheduled for May 18 and for who knows what reason they decided to move closer to Brave.

WOM for Prometheus is not going to be toxic. Half the people who see it think it's the best film of the year and the other half think it's a steaming pile of shit. I'm obviously exaggerating but that's not far from the truth.

Dreamworks kind of made their own bed there. Madagascar 3 had long been scheduled for May 18 and for who knows what reason they decided to move closer to Brave.

I'll tell you why; because they were the only one to know that opening that close to TA was suicidal. Kids movie or not, they probably knew that TA would be dominating the 3D screens and a lot of the kids business. And remember when Wanted and WallE took up 115 mill in business in KFP's 4 week, it fell 47% and recovered nicely after that. Mad3 will be fine. The market can have two kids films.
  • Like 1

I let the hype get the best of me a bit with Prometheus. I thought this could pull a 300 and get over 70m despite the tracking saying otherwise. With a 55m+ OW, I'd say that's a great opening for it. What it does from there is the more intriguing question.

• Like 1

I let the hype get the best of me a bit with Prometheus. I thought this could pull a 300 and get over 70m despite the tracking saying otherwise. With a 55m+ OW, I'd say that's a great opening for it. What it does from there is the more intriguing question.

In hindsight, 300 had better trailers. Prometheus had this very annoying and repetitive nigh ear piercing tone at the end of its trailer that split my skull. That alone was not an endearing quality for me. :bash:

In hindsight, 300 had better trailers. Prometheus had this very annoying and repetitive nigh ear piercing tone at the end of its trailer that split my skull. That alone was not an endearing quality for me. :bash:

That was the best part of the marketing. They used it for the original Alien trailer, which is one of the most effective ever.

200 will be hard now with a 55m OW, but I'm holding out hope. I can't wait to see its holds.

200M is impossible. 130-150M is where Prometheus is heading

I wouldn't say that. There are a lot of people who basically think it's the best film of the year and are gonna spread great WOM. Yeah you have the ones who despise it too, but guess what, Inception also had a lot of people like that. It will be very interesting to see how it holds up. 130-150m is definitely too low of a range. It's not getting toxic WOM.

I wouldn't say that. There are a lot of people who basically think it's the best film of the year and are gonna spread great WOM. Yeah you have the ones who despise it too, but guess what, Inception also had a lot of people like that. It will be very interesting to see how it holds up. 130-150m is definitely too low of a range. It's not getting toxic WOM.

200 is dead. It's going to drop like a freakin stone next weekend.